A8 SD Card for Navigation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hope Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
TOPSAIL BEACH, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Have problem with new replacement A8 SD Card installation. My 2013 Explorer intermittently does not detect my new Navigation SD card as being plugged in so I receive a notice to "Insert new sd card" although it is installed. Intermittently, upon future starts it may or may not work. My original A3 card always works and never fails no matter how many times it is removed and reinserted to "test" my system. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have problem with new replacement A8 SD Card installation. My 2013 Explorer intermittently does not detect my new Navigation SD card as being plugged in so I receive a notice to "Insert new sd card" although it is installed. Intermittently, upon future starts it may or may not work. My original A3 card always works and never fails no matter how many times it is removed and reinserted to "test" my system. Any ideas?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Just curious about the notice you get. I've read other such posts and can't remember if the warnings had the word "new" in them. I though it was just, 'Insert Navigation Card'. When you take the card out and use the A3 and remove it do get the same message with "new" in it? Also where did you get the A8 card from?

Peter

I beg your pardon. As you said, It just says "Insert Navigation Card" up in the right corner of my screen. Then when the message shows up in the center of the screen giving me a choice that I don't understand I think it referred to the SD card. Sorry for the confusion. I have tried two SD cards from two different companies on line and both give the same symptoms described. Another piece of technical curiosity is that I can insert the SD card into my card reader on my home PC just long enough for Windows 10 to show me the card's folders and files directory, then remove the SD card and reinsert in my Explorer and it works for a day or two before eventually again not being recognized by Navigation. I have repeated this action enough times to know that it is not just my removing the card and reinserting it that makes it work. Only removing and reinserting the card never works. Thanks for your interest. Does anyone have any similar experience?

It sounds like the cards you've tried are not OEM. You might try copying the files from the card to your computer, then write them to a new SD card.

I may try to do this after I am more sure I will not do harm to the NAV system/software in my Explorer (too expensive to risk). Will post here about anything I learn. Thinking about trying a USB to SD card reader adapter to see if the system recognizes it as a NAV card via the USB input.

What version of MFT/SYNC software is installed in your vehicle? Basically asking if it is up to date with 3.08 or 3.10.

My online Owner record says I am up to date with SYNC2 v3.6. I recently had the vehicle in the dealership for a rear camera failure and they did a lot of "resetting/updating" trying to get it to work. I didn't try to update my NAV SD card to A8 until some weeks after that.

My online Owner record says I am up to date with SYNC2 v3.6. I recently had the vehicle in the dealership for a rear camera failure and they did a lot of "resetting/updating" trying to get it to work. I didn't try to update my NAV SD card to A8 until some weeks after that.
With 3.6 you are not to up to date. See post #6. That site is unfortunately no longer dependable. Many have experienced the same misleading information. Was your camera replaced/repaired? When a camera is replaced they have to program it to your vehicle.

Peter

I just learned how to view my software info in the vehicle. CPU S/W version 4.3.13171-PRODUCT and MAC app version 3.48.9. Not sure what either of these mean. As regards the camera, I am putting off having the dealer replace the camera because they want more than $600 to replace it. The camera works for a few seconds (maybe 30 seconds or so) before the picture slowly fades out when it is first used in the morning but then doesn't work again until the evening time or the next day. Must put that off for now. By the way, what kind of programming beyond just turning the "guidelines on/off" is required? I read where people just buy another camera from Ford parts and replace it themselves.

I just learned how to view my software info in the vehicle. CPU S/W version 4.3.13171-PRODUCT and MAC app version 3.48.9. Not sure what either of these mean. As regards the camera, I am putting off having the dealer replace the camera because they want more than $600 to replace it. The camera works for a few seconds (maybe 30 seconds or so) before the picture slowly fades out when it is first used in the morning but then doesn't work again until the evening time or the next day. Must put that off for now. By the way, what kind of programming beyond just turning the "guidelines on/off" is required? I read where people just buy another camera from Ford parts and replace it themselves.
Although I'm not 100% certain, I believe that SW version is V3.6.2. If so, that is not the latest update. Last user update was V3.8. I believe the camera programming is to allow fixed and moving (if equipped) guidelines. Some members have the tool (Forscan) to DIY.

Peter

If it were me I would take the following steps:
Update to the latest user update - 3.8 (aka 3.08)
Clean the contacts on the SD card
Get something to clean the contacts for the SD card reader within the Media Hub
Your A8 is likely a clone - put the read only tab in the down position

Probably sources of issue:
Poor quality SD card (if its a clone)
Dirty contacts
Bad Media Hub

How do we update? Does it require a trip to the dealer?

Thanks

Thank you Peter. I am indeed trying to get an A8 card to work in my 2013 Explorer. I learned an interesting thing "on the way to the forum" this morning. I used a USB to SD Card adapter to connect my A8 card via the spare USB connector in my car and IT WORKED. It might take a few days to see if my old problem of the SD card not being recognized upon starting the car might still show up. For now it is working perfectly via adapter to USB and I will leave it this way for the time being. I had wondered why my putting the card in a Windows PC would seemingly cause it to work right away in my car and usually for some indefinite amount of time (say a day or two) before not being recognized by my car. We shall see. As regards my wish to update my SYNC, every time I try to download update from my Ford Owner account, it tells me I am up to date and doesn't even give me a choice to download the newest at all. Can I get the update by navigating to some down load site bypassing my so called "Ford Owner Account" stuff?.

You can use the link in post #14 above for V3.8 or see the following thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/mft-update-v3-10.458981/
Post #16 I believe is V3.8 and #26 is V3.10. The member thought the link in #16 was for 3.10 but apparently it was 3.8 according to his later post. Be aware that V3.8 was the last user download that was supplied by Ford. V3.10 was released as a dealer only download.

Peter

Jon, the member is looking to update his nav card to A8. Not looking to update MFT. As well, the links to update to V3.8 and V3.10 are also posted on this forum as several members have used the V3.10 link to update their software.

Peter

Looked like both, to me...

I must apologize again. I have two versions of the NAV card, A3 and A8. When I said that my NAV card was being detected and read through my USB port via a USB to SD adapter, I was WRONG. It was still reading the SD port which contained my old A3 card which has always worked and I overlooked. Fooled me bad. Sorry. However the good news for me is that I have successfully updated my SYNC software to 3.10. At least that is what my system information says is the current version now. Thanks to you folks who have helped he learn.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can use the link in post #14 above for V3.8 or see the following thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/mft-update-v3-10.458981/
Post #16 I believe is V3.8 and #26 is V3.10. The member thought the link in #16 was for 3.10 but apparently it was 3.8 according to his later post. Be aware that V3.8 was the last user download that was supplied by Ford. V3.10 was released as a dealer only download.

Peter
Hey Peter what will the update do for me. My 16 hasn't had anything done and I don't know of any problems. Thanks

Back