ABS Code B1342 - ABS light and TCS warning (traction control) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS Code B1342 - ABS light and TCS warning (traction control)

springer

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 MM Premier AWD V8
Hi,
I would appreciate any advice, as I am not finding a lot on this problem - does not seem to be common.
I have a 2008 Mountaineer Premier AWD (4.6 V8) with about 75,000 miles on it. No problems with the car, easy driving (no towing/plowing/etc) - just my wife shuttling kids around.

I am mechanically inclined, and have a scan tool.

Friday my wife reported that shortly after crossing RR Tracks (which are pretty smooth - flush w the street, so I don't really think that is a factor, actually) - the ABS and a TCS warning message came on - there is also an audible beeping.

I checked for codes, and there is an ABS code B1342 (Anti-lock Brake Control Module Malfunction).

I cleared the code, and test drove - the problem reoccurred immediately (I did not even get 100ft out of the driveway, under 10 mph)

I checked for codes again -- same code ABS B1342. Cleared it, and drove the car - same result, just out of the driveway the lights and beeping reoccurred.

I pulled the wiring harness from the module (front driver's side corner under the hood - I believe that is the correct device), got some electronic contact cleaner and sprayed the harness & module connections, let dry, and reconnected. Cleared the code, drove - same result (problem reoccurred immediately).

I tested the brakes, and it seems to stop fine, although I assume the ABS is not functioning. There are no odd noises.

From what I can find on this forum & using Google, this is a complete malfunction of the ABS Control Module, which requires a dealer to replace and recalibrate/reprogram. Is that accurate? Sounds like this will be a majorly expensive repair, if that is the case.

I'm going to call a mechanic that I trust (reasonable well... LOL) and ask him on Monday, but would appreciate any input/advice on this.

Thanks!
--Springer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be a faulty ABS sensor, that's what I had when this happened to me.

Any more testing that's easy to do to figure out this problem? It has started happening on my 2WD 2007 explorer as well. When I monitor the wheel speeds, they seem to be updating correctly/matching, so I'm not sure if that would indicate an ABS sensor as well. Like the other post, my explorer seems to be driving fine, but the two lights (ABS/TC) are on and the code read is B1342. On one screen it shows B1342-E0 not sure if that helps any further or not.

I had a defective harness in one case, I found it out by wiggling it and it would set the code. Another time it was ABS sensor and I replaced the whole hub.

Is there anything thru OBD II you can monitor to help determine which sensor might be the issue or if its something else? I ran selftest on the unit and it passes... but if I drive, it throws the lights/error code. I tried monitoring the wheel speed values and don't see anything abnormal on them.

Too bad you don't have a DTC that starts with "C" it would be so much easier to track down the issue. Here is what I can find for troubleshooting when you get just that code:

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE DEFINITIONS ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM MODULE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE INDEX
DTC Description Perform Test B1342 ECU Defective (1)
C1095/C1096 ABS Hydraulic Pump Motor Circuit Failure (2)
C1115 Internal Power Relay (2)
C1145 Right Front ABS Sensor (Electrical/Static) (2)
C1148/C1234 Right Front ABS Sensor (Dynamic) (2)
C1155 Left Front ABS Sensor (Electrical/Static) (2)
C1158/C1233 Left Front ABS Sensor (Dynamic) (2)
C1169 Excessive Dump Time (2)
C1184 ABS System Inoperative (2)
C1185 Open Internal Power Relay (2)
C1194/C1196 Left Front Dump valve (2)
C1198/C1200 Left Front Isolation Valve (2)
C1202/C1204 Rear Dump Valve (2) C1206/C1208 Rear Isolation Valve (2) C1210/C1212 Right Front Dump Valve (2)
C1214/C1216 Right Front Isolation Valve (2)
C1220 Yellow ABS Warning Indicator Failure (2)
C1222 Wheel Speed Error (Dynamic) (2)
C1229/C1237 Rear ABS Sensor (Dynamic) (2)
C1230 Rear ABS Sensor (Electrical/Static) (2)
(1) Using NGS tester, retrieve and document all continuous DTCs. Perform Anti -Lock Brake System (ABS) module self-test. If DTC B1342 is retrieved again, replace ABS module..
(2) Repair anti -lock brake system concern. See appropriate ANTI-LOCK article in BRAKES

*See statement #1 that I put in bold*

Like Explorer_PL stated, a good majority of the issues seem to be caused by a bad connection on a wiring harness. What are you using for your code reader/tester?

I'm just using Forscan and a generic bluetooth OBD II reader.
I haven't seen any of those error codes... I can read the "continuous error code value" but it seems to stay at 1. I can also do a self-test of the ABS module and it seems to always pass... but as soon as I go about 10mph, the lights/error gets thrown.

So I pulled the connector (after removing the battery/battery box to be able to access it, what a pita) on the ABS controller. Didn't see any corrosion/etc, but sprayed both connector and unit with contact cleaner and re-installed. Unfortunately, that didn't fix anything. Guess I may have to take it to the dealer to get diagnosed... :-/

I have never liked the BT type interfaces since they tend to not show many of the DTC's in the system. You could try Autozone before Ford and see if their readers pick anything up that yours didn't.

Eh, autozone was worthless... guy didn't even read the code I did. He said it doesn't allow you to select subsystems to scan as well? I'm not sure if their scanner just sucks or if he doesn't know what he's talking about/doing. I'd consider buying another scanner if I thought it was likely I'd get a more detailed code using it versus my BT unit.
Any recommendations?

The guy at Autozone must have been clueless on how to use the Actron CP9580A that all the stores use as a loaner. That is the model that I have and it shows just about everything that I would ever need to know about for all the vehicles that I have ever used it on.

Abs/traction control light

Springer, did you ever figure out what the problem was? My 07 explorer is doing the exact same thing. Thanks in advance.

I have the Ford repair DVDs 2005 - 2008 trying to help

Abs/traction control light

Springer, did you ever figure out what the problem was? My 07 explorer is doing the exact same thing. Thanks in advance.
No, I did not. It went away on its own, but now is back & occurs every time you use the vehicle, and repeats throughout the drive.
I am considering replacing the module, if I can figure our where it is, and whether I can buy it & replace, or if I need Ford to reprogram anything. I can find the module for sale at Ford Parts sites (Google), but no info on programming, Has anyone else handled this issue?

No, I did not. It went away on its own, but now is back & occurs every time you use the vehicle, and repeats throughout the drive.
I am considering replacing the module, if I can figure our where it is, and whether I can buy it & replace, or if I need Ford to reprogram anything. I can find the module for sale at Ford Parts sites (Google), but no info on programming, Has anyone else handled this issue?
I am having the same code on my 2009 explorer with 100,000 miles on it. Never had any problems but it is hard to pay for a abs control module and not know if that is the real problem. Has anybody found a fix for the B1342 code and the traction control lights with the warning signal for RSC service every few minutes?

Hey PhoenixS - I think I resolved the issue - it was the front hubs.
It's my wife's car, so I don't drive it a lot, but I drove the car and thought that the front end was humming more than usual, so it was in the back of my mind that the hub bearings might be worn.
Then, I actually had a total failure of the ABS circuit - brakes locking up & traction control freaking out -- luckily it was in the driveway.

So, I ordered both hubs from RockAuto (Motorcraft parts), and they were very easy to change.
Ever since then - no code, and its been 4 months or so.

The totally strange thing is that the car NEVER threw a code for the ABS hub failure, until the very end when it failed completely.

It's my wife's car, so I don't drive it a lot, but I drove the car and thought that the front end was humming more than usual, so it was in the back of my mind that the hub bearings might be worn.
Then, I actually had a total failure of the ABS circuit - brakes locking up & traction control freaking out -- luckily it was in the driveway.

So, I ordered both hubs from RockAuto (Motorcraft parts), and they were very easy to change.

The totally strange thing is that the car NEVER threw a code for the ABS hub failure, until the very end when it failed completely.

Thanks for your reply but I did mange to fix my problem. I purchased a used abs controll module online from a salvage yard. It came out
of a 2010 explorer with the same part number as mine. I used Forscan and copied the as built data from my old abs controll module
and copied it to the used module with my cars vin number and it works great. No abs lights and no other engine lights or codes for the first time in over a year.

Do you happen to have part number for what all you replaced? Sounds like you were in the same exact situation I am in with my wife's car now. Wondering if this was a cheaper and easier fix then blindly replacing the whole abs module.

Back