1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

ABS light on...how bad?

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum' started by mkey1029, November 14, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mkey1029

mkey1029 New Member

City, State:
      Columbia, SC
      Year and Model:
      2000 Ranger
      Brakes are in good shape...I am fairly inexperienced. Will a brake job fix this, or am I looking at some overpriced "computer" BS? Thanks for the response. :usa:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ExplorerDMB

ExplorerDMB Moderator/Technician Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Mechanicsville, Virginia
      Year and Model:
      2004 Acura TL
      When the ABS light comes on your ABS is disabled. Now, how many miles are on the truck. If there is a lot of debris and build up around the one of the sensors it may not be working correctly. Also, some sensors do go bad and you should check them. A brake job will not/should not fix your problem.

-Drew

4. ExplorerDMB

ExplorerDMB Moderator/Technician Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Mechanicsville, Virginia
      Year and Model:
      2004 Acura TL

EDIT: I don't know if autozone pulls abs codes, but you can try and see if you can get a code. That'll help you out

5. BuffaloXplorer

BuffaloXplorer The X had to go!

City, State:
      Buffalo, New York
      Year and Model:
      2006 Impala SS
      No, they don't. Any decent repair shop can pull the code and determine which sensor is bad. Shouldn't cost TOO much.

6. Ranger Al

Ranger Al Active Member

City, State:
      Fresno, California
      Year and Model:
      '00 FX4 Ranger
      Mine have trouble code 27 and no Ford Stealership would tell me what the code meant nor the Chilton manual. It so happen I found a website and guys was talking about the same code as mine and how to repair it.

You need to count the number of flashes on the ABS light and waited a few seconds and the second flash. As for code "27" it would flashes twice and waited a few seconds and flashes again 7 times.

The repair costed me $1.99 cents with a little knowledge of soldering. If thats your case, let me know and I can direct you on getting the part and how to replace the part.

7. DeRocha

DeRocha NEX Vice President Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Brockton, MA
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT 4x4
      When the ABS computer detects a fault in one of it's sensors it disables ABS braking (standard braking is unaffected). It does this because the sensors tell the ABS computer each wheel's speed; the ABS computer uses this info to pulse the brakes accordingly during a lock up condition... As such the Yellow ABS light is no immiedidate cause for alarm, just an indication that ABS braking is not working.

8. CougarX

CougarX Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky
      Year and Model:
      '98 EB, '02 ST, '97 XLT
    9. BuffaloXplorer

BuffaloXplorer The X had to go!

City, State:
      Buffalo, New York
      Year and Model:
      2006 Impala SS
      I think you're talking a about the airbag light - the ABS does not do this. If it DOES, you're the only one on the forum that has had this happen ;)

10. EBInterceptor

EBInterceptor Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ada, MI
      Year and Model:
      '98 Sport
      My ABS light has gone on because my hub when bad and little metal shavings were blocking the sensor. Something to keep in mind since it could have been much worse when my hub blew out on the highway. Luckily I was able to limp to a place where I could fix it. Just something to think about if the brakes and sensor are still in good condition.

11. Ranger Al

Ranger Al Active Member

City, State:
      Fresno, California
      Year and Model:
      '00 FX4 Ranger
      Chris! You are right, it is the Airbag trouble code! Anyway, if anyone have airbag trouble code. I am willing to guide ya to get it fix.

I think you can pull the ABS from OBD II code reader from the local Autozone. I too having problem with the Chubby Blazer cause of the ABS stuff. I guessed, I'll get to it whenever the wife get tired of seeing it.

If anyone interested in the front ABS sensors (2 sensors), I still have it. Make me an offer.

12. FallsRanger

FallsRanger New Member

City, State:
      Niagara falls
      Year and Model:
      2000 Ranger xlt 4x4 offro
      Dirty voltage

Man i bought my truck from told me abs light on due to left sensor reading back dirty voltage does that mean sensor shot or is there some other way of fixing it ? :confused:

13. DeRocha

City, State:
      Brockton, MA
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT 4x4
      It sounds like the sensor is sending back a constant lock up voltage.. As mentioned in some previous posts the ABS sensor magnetically detects the teeth on the ABS tone ring. When metal debris collects on the sensor it will become blind and unable to detect the individual teeth on the ABS tone ring and send out a constant lock up signal to the ABS computer.

Check out other threads such as ABS Sensor problem for more info.

14. Ranger Al

Ranger Al Active Member

City, State:
      Fresno, California
      Year and Model:
      '00 FX4 Ranger
      Ok.. my ABS sensor does go bad as well, I am not sure if it is too late to help you out. There is a rear sensor located on the pumkin, sometime you could clean it and reinstall it and will be fine. I tried but doesn't work, so I had to get mine at NAPA (around $7) and problem fixed.

15. garythedoorman

garythedoorman New Member

Year and Model:
      2004 xlt
      My ABS light is on also and brakes are new and my 4x4 high light keeps flashing is this a serious issue?

16. drewsexplorer

drewsexplorer New Member

City, State:
      Lebanon, Ohio
      Year and Model:
      1996 Explorer XLT
      My ABS light is on and the truck will not go into 4wd at all, i switch to 4hi or 4lo but nothing happens, just the light comes on and stays on(the 4hi or 4lo light). Should i use my OBDII reader on it, will that work?

17. rwenzing

rwenzing Active Member

City, State:
      Michigan
      Year and Model:
      03 Ranger FX4 LII 5.0 S/C
      Probably not. Ordinary OBDII readers can only communicate with the PCM, not with the other modules like a 4WABS Module or GEM. A Ford dealer or a well equipped independent shop will have the necessary reader.

18. drair

drair New Member

City, State:
      Athens, OH
      Year and Model:
      So, my ABS dash icon/light flashes 4 then 6, for a failure code of 46. After that, the ABS light stays on continuously. Can anyone tell me what an ABS error code of 46 translates to in English? I can't find them online, and as noted earlier in this thread, this isn't an engine control problems so my OBD-II reader is of no use.
      Thanks.

19. drair

drair New Member

City, State:
      Athens, OH
      Year and Model:
      Make that Airbag light, not ABS

sorry for the confusion. I meant that my AIRBAG warning light is flashing a 4-6 code. Any idea what sensor or failure mode that means? Thanks.

20. ExploringNC

ExploringNC Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Hickory, NC
      Year and Model:
      '98 XLT, '91 EB
      first and easiest thing is to clean the sensor located on top of the rear axle or just replace it, it's not much from parts store. Did you make sure fluid level correct?

21. joejoelewis

joejoelewis New Member

City, State:
      Oxon Hill, Maryland
      Year and Model:
      2006 Explorer xlt
      abs light on

My abs light came on, what does that mean?

22. jeffwhiteis

jeffwhiteis Member

The Airbag light blinks 3 times, 10 different times on my 03 Ford Explorer and then stays lit.

Pulled the error code, and am, getting code # b2292. I checked both yellow plugs, and reconnected them. When I do this, with the vehicle off, and start the vehicle back up, the light wont come on. But, as soon as I turn the vehicle off, and back on, the Airbag light comes back on and starts blinking before staying lit.

But everyone I turn the car off, and disconnect, and reconnect the yellow harnesses under the seats, and turn the car back on- the light doesnt come on. But again, once I turn the vehicle off, and back on - it starts again.

How can I fix this? Please help? Or any suggestions on how to JUST get that light off...I dont care about fixing it...unless its cheap and easy.

23. CGordon

CGordon Member

City, State:
      ontario
      Year and Model:
      Ranger XLT 96
      96 ranger 2wd - suddenly brake light and abs light came on the dash panel as soon as I started the truck. No codes, nothing.

Brakes were fine after checking them, everything seemed fine, until not too long later...
      Suddenly I hear a grinding noise. Ended up the calliper seized.

So I slapped a new one on, good as new! Hope that helps.

24. jrwb

jrwb New Member

All these complaints about the ABS light being on, and I want to import an Explorer from Japan and it has that very same problem - any advice??

25. Jerry Kylec

Jerry Kylec New Member

City, State:
      Arizona
      Year and Model:
      89 ranger xlt
      abs light

I have two rangers, a 89xlt and a 97. on in arizona and one in washington. the 89 in az. has the abs light and brake warning light on. Is this an easy fix?

26. DeRocha

City, State:
      Brockton, MA
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT 4x4
      The Red Warning brake light should only come on if you are Low on brake fluid or have the E-Brake on. As for the ABS light you'd need to determine the cause. It could be one of the wheel sensors, the hydraulic unit, or the ABS computer itself.