1. to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

ABS Malfunction

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Chris Rambo, July 16, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Chris Rambo

Chris Rambo New Member

City, State:
      Montgomery, Tx
      Year and Model:
      98 XLT
      I am getting an ABS malfunction by way of this: The light on the dash comes on and then goes off, there is a ticking sound when i press the brake pedal, from beneath the dash where I think the ABS control module is located. This started immediately after replacing the speed sensor on the rear differential. My maintenance manual says to hook it up to a machine for a diagnosis, but hey you guys ussually come through with a fix. So any ideas before I take it to my mechanic?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. mr2fix2it

mr2fix2it Active Member

City, State:
      new york
      Year and Model:
      98 sport w/06 mustang 4.0
      if it started after you did rear speed sensor maybe thats where you should start its buzzing because its not seeing the correct wheel speed somewhere and abs is trying to stop vehicle this is how it works the buzz is the sensor that it sees slower than the others.

4. saewoody

saewoody Active Member

City, State:
      CT
      Year and Model:
      1997 XLT
      Make sure it is absolutely the correct speed sensor. I had to replace mine a few years ago and I think I was given three or four before I finally got the right one.

5. Chris Rambo

Chris Rambo New Member

City, State:
      Montgomery, Tx
      Year and Model:
      98 XLT
      Thanks, I bought the sensor at oreillys so it very well may be the part. I dont know why i dont always buy factory parts. I will replace the sensor with a factory part today and see how it goes.