AC Not Cooling Due To Possible Overcharge | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC Not Cooling Due To Possible Overcharge

SUV_RIDER

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer
Good evening
I've a 2003 Ford Explorer, 4.0, 136,000. Issue: Installed compressor, added less than 2 lbs (24 ozs) of refrigerant R134a. AC clutch keeps turning on and off. The gauge is in he red zone, possibly overcharged issue. How can the system be overcharged with less than 2 lbs refrigerant added. Ford specs is 36 ozs (front ac), dual (front and rear, 56 ozs)? The AC feel like the heater is on NOT AC. Have any of you had this type problem with AC? If so, how did you resolve it? Appreciate any comments to resolve this issue.........................

thanks

If other parts have been changed it's possible you need less..

On our 2006 Mustang I changed everything and when I put in the sticker charge the A/C didn't work well at all. I put on a set of gauges and had high pressures when off and again when running.... I took out some to drop the off pressure closer to ambient and now the a/c is working well...

When you say it's "in the red" are you using something that has just a single gauge that goes on the low pressure side? Most of those I've seen don't have numbers on them and a real gauge set is < $100 and nice to have...

You also said it feels like the heater is on, does that mean it's blowing air hotter than the ambient temperature? If so you may actually have the the heater on (not on purpose though)...

~Mark

Is it possible that your temperature blend door motor is bad and it's not switching to cold? Do you have EATC or manual controls? You only put in 24ozs and it's calling for 36 or 56. Being undercharged might also be your problem.

Did you use a vacuum pump on it for at least 45 minutes, prior to adding the refrigerant?

Air in the system will do what you've described.

Back