Adding a aux input to factory stereo | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding a aux input to factory stereo

I've been searching and searching for some time now & I have yet to find something that will allow me to hook an aux input up to my factory stereo. So, what I've got... 1999 Explorer with factory stereo AM/FM/Cassette/Single CD. It does not have a CD changer input, nor does it have the JBL system or the MACH system. I'm currently using a FM transmitter, but as most of you know, they suck. Everything I've found so far is for the factory stereo with a CD changer input. Any ideas, suggestion or advice would be great! Thanks! :thumbsup:

you might have just bought a **** fm transmitter i got a 10$ one from walmarts car audio and it works great i can set my phone/mp3 in the table on the other side of my garage and my truck still picks it up no static at all

or you can always get a casset adaptor you can pick up for like 10$ but if you get a super cheapy youll have quality problems at higher volume

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you might have just bought a **** fm transmitter i got a 10$ one from walmarts car audio and it works great i can set my phone/mp3 in the table on the other side of my garage and my truck still picks it up no static at all

or you can always get a casset adaptor you can pick up for like 10$ but if you get a super cheapy youll have quality problems at higher volume

with the transmitters, your actual location seems to be a bigger factor than the overall quality.. yea an expensive 1 is probably more likely to work, but if you're in a city type setting with alot of big radio stations, the quality is just gonna suffer.. i was in this same predicament, and opted for the cassette adaptor at 1st, but I got sick of it and just threw in a new deck with Aux in and mp3 capability..

I know this is an old thread, but as I have just stumbled on it as I was looking for the same solution, I wanted to add that you can pop into any chain "Truck Stop" and most box retailers and pick up an XM/Sirius antenna modulator for $25 US. They simply connect in series to the factory antenna jack and have a 2.5mm stereo plug for audio input which will plug into the audio out/headset port found on virtually all devices (MP3 players to I-phones). The quality is almost identical to the cassette adapters cited above and especially convenient for CD only units.

I've long since gone with an aftermarket HU, my province passed a hands free law that states all mp3 players including iPods must be controlled through the car's stereo system. The original draft of it excluded them but the final didn't, made my speakers sound several times better also.

I know this is an old thread, but as I have just stumbled on it as I was looking for the same solution, I wanted to add that you can pop into any chain "Truck Stop" and most box retailers and pick up an XM/Sirius antenna modulator for $25 US. They simply connect in series to the factory antenna jack and have a 2.5mm stereo plug for audio input which will plug into the audio out/headset port found on virtually all devices (MP3 players to I-phones). The quality is almost identical to the cassette adapters cited above and especially convenient for CD only units.

I have one of those modulators and it works very well with my portable Sirius car dock.
But the stereo plug sub-miniature, about half the size of a normal headphone output jack like the one on my ipod.
How do you get it to fit?

^go to radio shack and get an adapter.

I just came back from radio shack. Got the 2.5 to 3.5 mm adapter.
The modualtordoes not appear to work through my ipod.
No sound through my car radio when I plug it into the ipod.
I guess this modulator only works with satellite radios.

Did anyone ever find a circuit to wire onto the board. Saw a video that uses the FM before the amplifier of the radio.

Back