Dismiss Notice

and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Adding a backup / rearview camera

Discussion in 'Modified 2011 + Explorer Sport Tuning' started by Razziel24, August 6, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Razziel24

Razziel24 Active Member

City, State:
      Guayaquil
      Year and Model:
      Explorer 2012 3.5 V6 Base
      Last edited: October 3, 2011
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Razziel24

Razziel24 Active Member

City, State:
      Guayaquil
      Year and Model:
    4. jrmexplorer

jrmexplorer Well-Known Member

Year and Model:
      2011 Limited
      I have a ltd with the factory one installed and I can tell you that I really REALLY like it a lot..... It's almost a must have - so I say go for it.....

5. tropicvi

tropicvi Elite Explorer

City, State:
      St Croix, US Virgin Islands
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer 4x4 Export
      It is also on my to do list... agree with you on why a Base Model... without the excess is fine, just add essentials... like activate DRLs (on ALL models, just not activated)... also will add backup sensors and camera... Bull Bar...

6. jkintn

jkintn Active Member

City, State:
      Nashville, TN
      Year and Model:
      2011 Ford Explorer Limite
      I like that it's integrated into the rear-view mirror. My dad installed one from tadibrothers.com on his SportTrac. Wireless and works well. Only thing I didn't like is it came with an external monitor that you have to mount. If you mount on dash, it almost looks like a portable NAV system so could be tempting for thieves.

7. tropicvi

tropicvi Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer 4x4 Export
      Rear Camera wiring diagram???

I am planing to install a rear camera system in a base Explorer, and have sourced a used factory camera in OEM wire harness. My question makes an assumption the wiring through the main harness front to rear may be in place, just not utilized when a factory installation is not done. I am of the belief I can plug this rear camera I have sourced into the main harness in the tailgate, (licence plate lights and camera are part of that short connecting harness.) From there, I would be looking for the forward end of the wiring, so I could install a rearview mirror type monitor. Any direction to this sort of wiring detail would be helpful.

8. Razziel24

Razziel24 Active Member

City, State:
      Guayaquil
      Year and Model:
      Can someone post pictures of the OEM camera on the Limited ? Im wondering how the ebay one would look like, installed.

9. tropicvi

tropicvi Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer 4x4 Export
      You should find it in the brouchure... on the Explorer without camera, you will find a rectangular plastic filler piece between the two licence plate lights. That is where the OEM camera resides. An aftermarket camera could be attached to that plastic piece, or get a licence plate mounted one. I found and bought an OEM camera, yet to be received... hopefully the wiring is in the factory wire loom. Anyone with wiring specifics ... the wire harness details for the car body wiring??>?

10. Razziel24

Razziel24 Active Member

City, State:
      Guayaquil
      Year and Model:
      Great, where are you going to view the images ? Do you have the OEM My Ford Touch screen ?

11. tropicvi

tropicvi Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer 4x4 Export
      I am proceeding on the premise the feed from the camera is like any other camera. i.e. a video signal is a video signal. I am looking to find the wire that carries the video signal to the front of the car, and intercept that signal to a visor or mirror mount screen.

12. Razziel24

Razziel24 Active Member

City, State:
      Guayaquil
      Year and Model:
      Found this drawing...

[​IMG]

Im trying to get a wireless camera, transmitting to a rearview mirror 3.5 inch screen, but im just concerned about the mounting point of the camera, I dont want it to be too obvious or easy to spot (and steal).
      So this OEM camera seems to be attached to the body, id like to see a close up, a real picture.... but I havent been able to find one... :(

13. Mr. Wiggles

Mr. Wiggles Member

Year and Model:
      '05 XLT
    14. Razziel24

Razziel24 Active Member

City, State:
      Guayaquil
      Year and Model:
      Yes I agree about the price, the only thing is that I dont want to drill a hole in the back of the car, I want something that I can mount, just like the OEM one.

Since I have the base model, I was thinking about getting a nice double din stereo, something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-0...Audio_Video&hash=item27bd4ba519#ht_7401wt_902

It does look cool.... but I still cant find one for the 2012 explorer, this one is for the F150

[​IMG]

So id like to get a camera that I can mount, hopefully using the mounting points of the OEM one, something like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-R...ultDomain_0&hash=item1c1f004d84#ht_4522wt_853

15. cnsheets

cnsheets Active Member

Year and Model:
      2011 Explemoner
      The stock OEM camera costs $292.37 this is assuming that the wire harness is already setup for it.

However, from what I can tell, the rear trim panel is different with or without the camera. So you may need to purchase the rear trim piece as well......

16. K1200rsport

K1200rsport Active Member

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      2011 Ford Explorer
      I have 2 cameras which are similar with same mounting, got from one of my suppliers, never hookd them to see the picture quality and wide angle and if shows the lines (probably not)

17. tropicvi

tropicvi Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer 4x4 Export
      As I posted before, the OEM camera is part of a wireharness that includes the licence plate lights. I bought a used one on e-bay for around the same price as the Chinese variats. The OEM camera just replaces the rectangle of plastic between the licence plates lights. I have seen a number of cameras with small tabs... that would screw or bolt dirctly to that plastic filler piece. Inside the wiring harness to the top of the lift gate is a reverse light wire to tap into for the camera trigger. The OEM camera body looks very much like the rest available on line. Also on line, I found a 2.5GHz transmitter reciever (no camera or monitor) for about $30. I plan on installing a 4.3" monitor in the space at the lower end of the A pillar, on a similar level to the outside rear view mirror... lots of space there, out of the way from anything else, and pleanty of power sources in the kick panel on that side. Total instal will be under $100.

18. tropicvi

tropicvi Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer 4x4 Export
      The wire harness in the tailgate is different without camera. There is a whole set of wires not there that connect the camera to the in-car harness.

No change in rear trim required.

19. cnsheets

cnsheets Active Member

Year and Model:
      2011 Explemoner
      The way they list the trim piece is with or without camera. So perhaps the with camera option actually comes with the physical camera. That would make better sense when looking at the price difference between the two.

20. Razziel24

Razziel24 Active Member

City, State:
      Guayaquil
      Year and Model:
      Your project sounds great, please post pictures, thank you

So the trim is the same, but the wires are not there, the wireless transmitter becomes more and more appealing then.

21. dco43054

dco43054 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      cmh
      Year and Model:
      16 XLT
      That's weird. You'd think for efficiency's sake they'd just produce one wiring harness and only use the bits that are required. Hard to believe the cost of maintaining separate stock, etc. would be less than a couple wires and connectors.

Unless there is one style harness for base, XLT, and LTD. Maybe that's the case.

And how are things in STX? Armstrong family still own the Ford dealership?

I Lived there in the early 90's. Haven't been back in years.

22. tropicvi

tropicvi Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer 4x4 Export
      St Croix is good... eternal summer... hence the Solstice...

Metro Motors has not changed much...

I have yet to rip open the lift gate to see for sure. I do know that the connector is different on the licence plate light (four pins) without camera, with camera 8 pins. However the size is not different, so the cabling from the connector to the connector at the roof line may include all wires. From the rear roof line to the front is just one part number, so all wires needed should be in there. Only problem would be in the dash finding the wire ends deep behind the radio unit. The wireless at $30, outweighs the risks opening that can of worms. I did check the harness in the rear bumper. I have base, no parking sensor, with trailer option... the pigtails for the parking sensors are there... it would seem one harness does all in this case, SO, if you have parking sensors and no trailer option, the trailer wiring IS in that harness...

23. tropicvi

tropicvi Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer 4x4 Export
      It looks like this would work very well. A little tweeking to match what is here with the insert plate that covers where the OEM camera mounts, and you're away... add a $30 wireless transmitter directly to the camera connectors, grab a power feed from reverse light circuit from the stock harness top of tailgate... at roof line. Set up receiver and monitor up front -- you can do it for under $100 at that rate...

24. tropicvi

tropicvi Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer 4x4 Export
    25. dco43054

dco43054 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      cmh
      Year and Model:
      16 XLT
      The government, schools, and health care probably haven't either. :( That was the pity. Beautiful island, crappy infrastructure.

But I do remember floating around off Shoy's beach on Christmas day. Always a plus!

That's cool. They've probably been out for a while, but I've never looked.

Althought it doesn't help you since you don't have MFT, there is another thread about a software product that will turn the 8"screen on in video mode while driving. I'd love to have a rear view camera off of the enclosed trailer I tow. That would seem to be the way to easily get video from the trailer to the dash, and then just plug it into the video input. :thumbsup:

26. Razziel24

Razziel24 Active Member

City, State:
      Guayaquil
      Year and Model:
      Where is that thread ? we have, on the base model a smaller screen, maybe there is a way to transmit the video to that small screen also.... that would be cool

[​IMG]