• Register Today It's free!

Adding auto headlights

usranger80

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Base
Ok, so I got my 11 Ex yesterday and love it, however like I posted in another thread before I would really like to have the auto headlamp feature which only came with the XLT models and I have the base model.

So after having the car for less than 24 hours I have already torn the dash apart to see what the situation is in the main wiring harness. As I suspected the wiring is there however the wire for the sunload sensor is not spliced where it should be and run to the connector C291 which the runs to the C286 connector for the sunload sensor as well as on to the HUD sensor, which I suspected was possible even the the factory wiring diagram shows it as there.

So here is what I am thinking and looking for some advice/confirmation. Ford makes a pigtail for the sunload sensor (WPT-1013) I am guessing this is what I will need along with the sensor itself. So here is my question, do I splice the pigtail wires directly into the factory wire (where wouldnt matter I guess, but I suppose I would do it where it shows the splice in the wiring diagram) or can I just pull out that wire that is not being used from the connector at the BCM and plug the wire into the correct pin connector and be good to go?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one here an auto wiring expert I guess?

By your post you sound way more educated in this wiring stuff than I am... sounds like you know what you're talking about already LOL

By your post you sound way more educated in this wiring stuff than I am... sounds like you know what you're talking about already LOL

I have theories, whether or not my theories are correct, I dunno, was really just looking for confirmation on how to run that wire, will probably just wind up splicing it into the wire where it shows in the wiring diagram so it looks factory, either way now that I figured out where the wires run and which wire goes where I think it should be a pretty easy job, better than paying 2500$ more for the XLT when all I want is auto headlamps.

Also, please if my theory is incorrect feel free to chime in anyone, thats why I posted this here for some "expert" advice.

Just to chime in... the auto-headlights feature is frustrating, I've found. My '11 is an XLT, so it came with it, but I'm not going to be using it. I've found that the threshold for the lights to come on is FAR too high, and it's quite dark by the time it actually turns the headlights on. Foggy / overcast conditions, where you'd really like the lights on does nothing to trigger them. I wonder if there's some tweaking to be done there?

Also, has anyone figured out if there's a "headlights on" indicator? I can't for the life of me figure out if there's something to show that the lights are on. I would probably end up using the auto-lights if this were the case.

My 04 seems to turn them on at the right lighting level, they'll come on in rain and fog in the day time.

usranger80...if you're adding this do you have the module that's in the passenger C pillar? I hear a click from there when mine turn on and off.

You should be able to wire the sunload sensor to pin 30 of the bcm module and just ground the other wire according to the way the wiring diagram looks. I dont know if the bcm will recognize and be able to operate the lights correctly. You may need to reconfigure the module for the autolamps.

ok, thanks for the replies, the module is not there, the wire is plugged into to #30 pin on the BCM but was never spliced to run up to the inline connector that is there for vehicles with the auto headlights and sunload sensor (the same inline connector runs the Heads Up Display if equipped) would I just unplug that wire and plug in the new wire from the pigtail? I dont think that wire has a function even though its there?

and yeah I would prob have to take the car to the dealer and have the BCM re-programmed if they even know how to do that.

Lobuzz... My wife used to piss and moan about the same thing on one of our old cars, so i put a piece of clear plastic packing tape over the sensor. It "darkened" it just a little so lights would come on sooner at dusk.

Just to chime in... the auto-headlights feature is frustrating, I've found. My '11 is an XLT, so it came with it, but I'm not going to be using it. I've found that the threshold for the lights to come on is FAR too high, and it's quite dark by the time it actually turns the headlights on. Foggy / overcast conditions, where you'd really like the lights on does nothing to trigger them. I wonder if there's some tweaking to be done there?

Also, has anyone figured out if there's a "headlights on" indicator? I can't for the life of me figure out if there's something to show that the lights are on. I would probably end up using the auto-lights if this were the case.
Im looking at diagrams of both instrument clusters, neither the MyFord or MyFord Touch clusters have anything that has a label indicating "headlights on". They both have a High Beam indicator and a Supplemental Parking Lamps On indicator. Strange!:scratch:
I always leave my setting in 'Auto' on the Highlander and find it works great. The other thing it has, and I don't know if the Ex has, is a sensor that automatically turns up the brightness of the dash lights when the outside light level increases at dawn. This sensor works independently from the headlight sensor. Still waiting for a build date.

USRanger 80, maybe someone over at the Blueovall Forums could answer this, they have a lot of members who currently work for Ford.

Lobuzz... My wife used to piss and moan about the same thing on one of our old cars, so i put a piece of clear plastic packing tape over the sensor. It "darkened" it just a little so lights would come on sooner at dusk.

Are you saying that I'm pissing and moaning? :D

Im looking at diagrams of both instrument clusters, neither the MyFord or MyFord Touch clusters have anything that has a label indicating "headlights on". They both have a High Beam indicator and a Supplemental Parking Lamps On indicator. Strange!:scratch:
I always leave my setting in 'Auto' on the Highlander and find it works great. The other thing it has, and I don't know if the Ex has, is a sensor that automatically turns up the brightness of the dash lights when the outside light level increases at dawn. This sensor works independently from the headlight sensor. Still waiting for a build date.

The Ex does have auto dimming of the instrument cluster that activates as it gets dark / light. I haven't noticed whether that corresponds to a change in dash lighting... probably.

The Ex does have auto dimming of the instrument cluster that activates as it gets dark / light. I haven't noticed whether that corresponds to a change in dash lighting... probably.
Thanks lobuzz. By dash lights I actually did mean the instrument cluster lights. I guess perhaps the term 'dashboard' is no longer the correct term. 'Instrument cluster' does sound much more impressive.:)

Thanks, I will check over there to see if anyone can confirm that the wiring will work, I am sure it will since they make a pigtail for it.

Okay, so I have autohead lamps. It's pretty nice. I don't know how it works. But can you do something about getting Navigation for an XLT with MyFordTouch already? I really want navigation as I have the MyFordTouch already! It's so fustrating.

Okay, so I have autohead lamps. It's pretty nice. I don't know how it works. But can you do something about getting Navigation for an XLT with MyFordTouch already? I really want navigation as I have the MyFordTouch already! It's so fustrating.

Truth be told, that is the reason I didn't go with the XLT, the MyFord touch concept is neat yes, but now your stuck with that and no navigation, I would much rather prefer to wait a few months and install an after market touch screen navigation that can do pretty much everything the MFT can do and more, plus it wont cost me an extra 6000$ to get it like it would have to upgrade to an XLT with MFT and Navigation. Now if I can just get my auto headlamps wired up and maybe add fog lamps somehow I will be happy.

WHAT!? You don't get foglamps on BASE? That's a rip...

I agree, its stupid, plus the bumper cover where the fog lamp should go is molded closed, they should have just stuck a plastic cover on there so that you could add them if you wanted, now I either have to cut the molding or buy a new bumper cover. What doesn't make any sense is the mounting holes for the fog lamp assembly are still there...why would you do that....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man, I remember the 95 - 2001 Explorers were the best... The parts were so easy to fix. If you want to add something, it's so easy. I certainly hope Ford isn't becoming money hungry...

Back