adding heated and cooled seats from 03 aviator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

adding heated and cooled seats from 03 aviator

fiveohoss

Reaction score
City, State
OHIO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
I just bought an 04 Explorer XLT last week and am already tearing it apart. The gray cloth seats had to go so today I bought the seats out of an 03 Lincoln Aviator Kitty Hawk Edition along with the door panels and center console. The problem is, I have no clue how to wire these things up. Luckily the guy cut the wiring harness on the donor vehicle so I have a bunch of pigtails to splice into and about 50 wires. I dont plan on using the door panels so I'm just going to mount the controls for the seats out of the doors somewhere.

Has anyone done this or am I the pioneer of this mod? I've searched high and low on these forums for the answer but can't find anything. Hope out there can help. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do the Aviator cooled seats work?

Are they part of the AC system or do they just have a fan that provides air flow?

No its all self contained whithin the seat. No need to tap into the a/c. Any clue as to where to get the wiring schematics/diagrams besides alldata?

No its all self contained whithin the seat. No need to tap into the a/c. Any clue as to where to get the wiring schematics/diagrams besides alldata?

I just bought an 04 Explorer XLT last week and am already tearing it apart. The gray cloth seats had to go so today I bought the seats out of an 03 Lincoln Aviator Kitty Hawk Edition along with the door panels and center console. The problem is, I have no clue how to wire these things up. Luckily the guy cut the wiring harness on the donor vehicle so I have a bunch of pigtails to splice into and about 50 wires. I dont plan on using the door panels so I'm just going to mount the controls for the seats out of the doors somewhere.

Has anyone done this or am I the pioneer of this mod? I've searched high and low on these forums for the answer but can't find anything. Hope out there can help. Thanks!

You bought these off Craigslist Detroit, right? I saw the ad, they look really nice. I considered doing it, but I already have black leather and 2nd row buckets and console. Plus...the wiring. I don't think anyone has done this before. You can get wiring diagrams here:

http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html

Yeah, same ones. Going to tackle it today. Fingers crossed. Still can't believe nobody has done this yet. ...

Good luck! If only the Aviators came with black leather.

The Kitty Hawk seats are black leather. From what I've read they're the only ones put in the Aviator. The Mountaineers may have came with black leather but not sure. That's why I jumped on these seats when I saw them.

you're going to have a nightmare re-wiring everything. You're going to have to run wires to where you want your seat controls to be, as well as figuring out how to hook up the climate control for the seats.

Here is another idea. Install your 2nd and 3rd rows as-is. For the front seats, rather than going through the wiring nightmare, make use of your existing seat frames, power motors, switches and trim. Pull the leather, headrests and chair pads off the Av seats and install on your existing ones. You should be able to figure out a way to get the seat heater working, but maybe forget about the cooling function. Go with the adjustment controls on your existing seats. I'm including a pic of a third gen seat with the lower pad and cover off. You can see the tubular frame. The frame extends to the upper part of the seat.

Attachments

• Seat inside.jpg
    Seat inside.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 519

The Kitty Hawk seats are black leather. From what I've read they're the only ones put in the Aviator. The Mountaineers may have came with black leather but not sure. That's why I jumped on these seats when I saw them.

Did you ever get anywhere with the Aviator seats?

Here is another idea. Install your 2nd and 3rd rows as-is. For the front seats, rather than going through the wiring nightmare, make use of your existing seat frames, power motors, switches and trim. Pull the leather, headrests and chair pads off the Av seats and install on your existing ones. You should be able to figure out a way to get the seat heater working, but maybe forget about the cooling function. Go with the adjustment controls on your existing seats. I'm including a pic of a third gen seat with the lower pad and cover off. You can see the tubular frame. The frame extends to the upper part of the seat.

This will work, I bought a new set of 03 EB buckets for $30- and no rips. Covers will match up and fit properly, but wiring will not. I was putting these in an 02 EB, and the plugs didn't match up, but the covers fit perfectly.

No, I never did get them working. They're still sitting on my bench at home. Maybe this winter I'll get them working. The cooling feature was the main reason for buying them.

Let us know how it goes.

The cooling feature appears to just be fans moving air, not piped in cold air. Anyone see this differently?

I reviewed the wiring on the heated Ex seats and it appears they are only used in conjunction with the EATC module. So if you have manual AC controls, this may be a problem.

The ground for the heat switch is in the EATC module. And it shows as a REFSIG, so its not not just a ground?

On the Aviator, all the controls are in the center console, I believe, as well. Nothing on the side of the seats.

Did you ever get them to work? I have the service manuals so lmk if you need a diagram.

old thread, but are the 3rd and 4th gen frames identical? could i put 4th gen seat foam/covers on a 3rd gen frame and use the 3rd gen switchgear?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've done it
I have heated and cooled seats from a 2014 Lincoln Navigator in my 1997 F350 crew cab
I bought the seats off ebay, black leather versions

I used 7 pole switches and some relays in order to reverse the polarity to the heating/cooling element,
Lincoln seats use a "Peltier" device for heating and "cooling" the air, the TED thermo elec "peltier" device is the key
I ordered the wiring book for the 2014 navigator
then I identified every wire in the two seats, there are ALOT
the vehicles body computers are all stored underneath the pass seat.

I removed everything that did not have to do with making the heater and cooling system work, several computers and about 30 wires

Once I identified the wires needed to run the fan and peltier device, I wired up a jumper box in my living room and had the seat heaters and cooling system working!!
Then I installed them in my 97, ran power to them and built a relay box and added two 7 pole carling style switches with red light on top and blue light on bottom
BOOM heated and cooled seats in a OBS Ford

I have a build thread on PSN for this truck

seat install is in there too

YEAH BUDDY!!! modernize old iron..... heated and cooled seats AND wing windows :)

Back