Adding Homelink Garage Door Opener | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Homelink Garage Door Opener

simplysql

Reaction score
City, State
Canton, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT
I searched and didn't find this - hopefully not a dual post. We just purchased a 2011 XLT - we bought the vehicle at one dealer after testing a Limited at another dealer. We were shocked when we got home and found that the XLT didn't have the garage door opener in the visor. Called the dealer - he told me the option was available only on Limiteds. Thought I might be able to customize the visor to make it work. Got on FordParts.com - found the visor - called my local dealer to see if the visor swap was possible - they said "no", completely different wiring. Well, I ordered the visor anyway. Found out the dealer was completely wrong. The visor with the homelink (or whatever they call it this year) fits EXACTLY into the same plug as they old visor. Took me about 15 minutes to make the swap. The part isn't cheap - about $225 - but it's nice to have the OEM look for the opener - especially since our last 4 vehicles have had this feature. Just a heads up. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I searched and didn't find this - hopefully not a dual post. We just purchased a 2011 XLT - we bought the vehicle at one dealer after testing a Limited at another dealer. We were shocked when we got home and found that the XLT didn't have the garage door opener in the visor. Called the dealer - he told me the option was available only on Limiteds. Thought I might be able to customize the visor to make it work. Got on FordParts.com - found the visor - called my local dealer to see if the visor swap was possible - they said "no", completely different wiring. Well, I ordered the visor anyway. Found out the dealer was completely wrong. The visor with the homelink (or whatever they call it this year) fits EXACTLY into the same plug as they old visor. Took me about 15 minutes to make the swap. The part isn't cheap - about $225 - but it's nice to have the OEM look for the opener - especially since our last 4 vehicles have had this feature. Just a heads up. Thanks.
Thanks for that info. I'm sure there will be some who will be happy to know about that "swap". Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:

thanks for the responses! JAZNY - yes, we have the rolling code type opener, and it synced right up - no problem. I'd read on other places as well about transmitters being located in the grill, etc..not true - everything you need is in the visor.

Thanks simplysql. We've gotten used to Homelink and don't really like an opener clipped to the visor.

after studying the wiring diagram for the 11 Ex I learned this about the vehicle, if there is wiring running to any portion of the vehicle already, ie. your visor already had wires running to it, or if you have auto headlamps and not the HUD on your vehicle, they use the same wiring harness and all wiring is already there, infact if you check the wires from the main connection at the BCM you can see all the wires are there as well, if they were not spliced for a specific feature they run to another connector on the passenger side and serve no purpose, BUT they are there. Unfortunately for me I wanted to add auto headlamps to my base model but the wire was never spliced up to the dash, not a problem though since Ford makes a pig-tail kit for the sun sensor for the auto HL's.

Awesome info. I'll most likely do this to my XLT too. Do you have the part number handy?

edge929 - the part number for the charcoal visor is BB5Z7804105CA. Also, I found that the price varied greatly depending on which dealer you shop on FordParts.com. Peachstate in Atlanta was the cheapest $225 - The dealer closest to my house, Cherokee Ford was $335!

I've always been partial to a momentary switch wired in to an actual opener that is hidden.

Wow really? What's the part number? I would like to make the switch as well. I have a garage and I was sad to find that our old 95 had it but not the 2011.

make sure you pick a couple of different dealers on the site to compare prices before you order - I paid $225 - and saw the price range from $225 to $331!

did you have to have any special tools ? How about a step by step for us tech challenged old folk

Hey Tom!
You need a torx (or whatever Ford uses on their screwheads) - really fairly simple. Two screws on the left side of the visor, undo those - also take off the one screw on the thing( for lack of a better name) that holds the right side of the visor on. By taking off that second piece, it gives you wiggle room inside the headliner. The wiring harness that runs to the visor (at least on mine) had some kind of adhesive on it, so you had to tug it a bit to force it loose. By doing that, it gives you enough slack in the harness to pull it out where you can see it, unclip the connector from your old visor, and reconnect it to the new. It's really fairly easy - takes longer to type it than to do it.

I was looking to do this small mod to my XLT since I like a clean look and didn't want my normal clip-on garage door opener deforming my visor but then reality set in. My local dealers want $315 for this part but I was able to get it down to $250 from a local parts store. Even if it was $150, you're paying 150 bucks for a garage door opener? Yes, I know what Homelink CAN do, but how many people turn on their stove/bath/computer when they pull in the driveway. Unless Bill Gates is a member here, I doubt anyone does.

A clip-on garage door opener is what? 15 bucks?

you're right, it's expensive. In our case, we have garages in two separate buildings, requiring two separate openers hanging from the visor (tried it, a royal pain) - additionally, our previous car had this function built in - so for us, it was a nice touch. $250 over the 4 years (at least) that I have the car isn't so bad.

As promised to a few people, I finally installed a Homelink transmitter in my Explorer.

Thanks to Joe Dirt for supplying me with the transmitter!!:notworthy

NOTICE!!! This install is not an easy one due to fitment into the headliner. If you're not VERY confident in your abilities, I highly suggest you don't try it.

Having said that, here goes:

I chose the flat angled panel behind my overhead lights to do the install. I did a similar install on my Focus in the same spot. I would also suggest you test your homelink device before starting the install by hooking it directly to your battery and programming it to make sure it works before the install.

To start, I pulled the lighting/sunglasses holder out of the roof of the vehicle. It's just clipped in, so if you pull straight down on it, it pops out.

Next, make a template of the homelink faceplate for the hole you want to cut.

P3040001.JPG

Then choose a position to put the homelink device in your vehicle. If you choose the same spot I did, you need to mount it as high as possible so the electronics package doesn't impact the lighting module. I put a pin through my headliner to make sure that things lined up before I marked and cut the headliner.

P3040005.JPG

After marking the headliner, I took the leap of faith and cut a hole in it using my template.

P3040006.JPG

Next I modified my homelink electronics box to help with fitment. Because of the white plastic bracket in the ceiling (seen in the previous picture), the connector end of the homelink is a little too long.

P3040002.JPG

So I removed the connector, trimmed of the tabs and hardwired to the transmitter.

P3040003.JPG

I then positioned the homelink transmitter behind the hole to make sure everything fit and lined up.

P3040007.JPG

Now for the fun part, and I don't have pix :(. Since the headliner is thicker than the clamping distance on the homelink, it has to be glued and clamped into place. I used a two part epoxy to glue the transmitter box to the back of the headliner and then put the same epoxy on the pins in the faceplate that lock into the transmitter box. I then installed the faceplate onto the transmitter box through the hole and clamped it in place overnight to make sure it held in place. If you're lucky and you get a homelink faceplate that's never been installed before, you might be able to get it to work with just the faceplate locking pins, but in both of the units I've installed, that hasn't been the case.

After letting the glue set up overnight, I said a prayer and removed the clamp. Here's what it looked like:

P3050008.JPG

You can see that the faceplate is slightly depressed into the headliner, but the install was successful. :D

Now for the wiring. You need to wire this to a power source that isn't purely triggered by the ignition if you want to use it with the car off. I chose using the power for the overhead lights. There are 3 wires in the overhead lights, one is ground, one is ignition controlled, and one is for the map lights. I chose the map light wire, which is yellow and green. The ground is black.

Because I hardwired to the homelink, I wanted to have a disconnect somewhere, so I chose disconnect "T" adapters and installed them on the wires. You need to make sure that they are far enough away from the lighting connector so they don't jam into the housing when it's plugged in. I removed about 2" of the black wire covering to do this.

P3050010.JPG

I then installed spade connectors on my homelink wires and plugged it into the "T" connectors. Green from the homelink to the yellow/green wire in the vehicle,and black to black.

P3050011.JPG

I then installed the lighting housing back in the vehicle and programmed the homelink...and it works!!:D

P3050012.JPG

I just have to touch up the paint a little on the cover. The cover I got was tan, and I painted it over. However, during the clamping process, I dinged it, even though I had protected it with heavy paper...oh well...

So, there's my homelink install. If you want to do it yourself, I cannot be held responsible for any and all goofups. Good Luck!!

Mind taking a shot that gives more perspective on the roofline with it in? I can't really tell from the pics. Brave man though, glad it turned out well.

Now...the question. What is so special about homelink? It's it just a garage door opener?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Homelink is a built in garage door opener. I can no longer get multi button remotes for my Genie openers because the company stopped making them (and my openers were built in 1997 :fire: ) and I didn't want to continually swap openers between vehicles. You can buy these used units for about $20.

Here's a shot from the back of the vehicle for the installation.

homelink1.jpg

Back