1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Adding Navigation Later

Discussion in '2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology' started by TxRanger351w, June 3, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. TxRanger351w

TxRanger351w Member

City, State:
      Beaumont, Tx
      Year and Model:
      95 Ranger S/C
      Adding Navigation if not factory equipped?

I purchased a 2011 XLT with MFT for my wife back in April. The vehicle didn't have navigation enabled from the factory, but the salesman said it could be added just by purchasing the card. The parts counter said that someone had attempted this, but it ended up not working. Now, we see that while it is possible to purchase the card, the system must be enabled from the factory to allow navigation to work. I've seen a couple posts where people had their system flashed (I guess a complete reinstall?) Is it possible during this flash to enable the navigation component of MFT?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. gman123

gman123 Member

City, State:
      Austin
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer XLT
      That is a great question.
      I would like to do the same.
      They sell the ford SD Cards on Ebay.

Either missing the GPS hardware, or disabled in the OS.

4. 1995E

1995E Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Maryland
      Year and Model:
      95 + 11 Ex both XLT
      The hardware is exactly the same. The problem is: Ford wants to prevent you from getting the Nav software aftermarket. Every SD card has a vin verification thingie. The only way to do it is to hack it. I do remember seeing somewhere online that someone's trying to get into it though and add Nav.

5. gill72

gill72 New Member

City, State:
      USA
      Year and Model:
      2011 limited
      not true, im using the SD card from my edge in the explorer and vice versa without any issues.

6. bkool2323

bkool2323 New Member

City, State:
      Western MA
      Year and Model:
      2011 XLT
      gill72

do you have factory navigation in you 2011 Explorer Limited? Are you saying that I can just purchase the SD card and it will work in my 2011 Explorer XLT with out the factory navigation? Thanks, Paul

7. gill72

gill72 New Member

City, State:
      USA
      Year and Model:
      2011 limited
      mine came with the navi.
      i believe non navi cars have a different flash for the MFT, so no i dont think the SD card alone would do it in your case you'll have to pay the stealer a visit for the navi flash.

8. 1tufgt

1tufgt Active Member

City, State:
      Bluegrass St.
      Year and Model:
      2003 XLT Sport Trim
      Even then the dealer probably doesn't have the software to unlocktht feature. I'm sure Ford put good safeguards against this. It will involve a good hacker to crack it.

9. TxRanger351w

TxRanger351w Member

City, State:
      Beaumont, Tx
      Year and Model:
      95 Ranger S/C
      Again - this thread centers around the possibility of adding navigation by purchasing the SD card and having the MFT flashed at the dealer for those of us who didn't get it upon delivery of the vehicle.

I don't see why Ford WOULDN'T allow this. Think about it - a customer comes back to the dealership and is willing to drop $700 for a memory card just to have integrated navigation? The hardware is in place, the software is essentially there, there's no engineering or real overhead. It's a pure profit center.

I'd call the factory (or whoever) direct if I had a number. This just makes no sense.

10. johnnyfivetapia

johnnyfivetapia New Member

City, State:
      Ohio
      Year and Model:
      2011 XLT
      Ford is considering it in the future, but thecurrent priority is to get the MFT bugs all worked out.

11. gman123

gman123 Member

City, State:
      Austin
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer XLT
      indeed, I would pay as well.

it would not require much from the dealerships, and would be a high profit for them.

Same principle applies to high-end computer hardware, tape autoloaders and storage area networks. The features are there, but requires a license key to unlock, to use the full potential.

12. 1995E

1995E Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Maryland
      Year and Model:
      95 + 11 Ex both XLT
      If Ford considers it, I'll buy it.

13. dco43054

dco43054 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      cmh
      Year and Model:
      16 XLT
      The simple answer to your question, is "no". And it's not just a Ford thing where manufacturers limit the ability of the customer to select certain options after the fact. I know in some cases it requires different hardware, but in most cases it just seems stupid.

Here's my answer Less than $200 with tax locally. Comes with lifetime maps and traffic and I can program it on the fly. Yeah, I know it's not the in-dash item, but WTF - why would I want a GPS that required me to stop the car before I could change destinations, etc?

I'm also thinking about the Lockpick solution to accessing the display while moving. That way I could just plug my iPhone in and use the phone navigation, but even the nav on that is somewhat limited.

14. Bill #5 Explorer

Bill #5 Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Chicago Area
      Year and Model:
      2016 Explorer XLT
      The factory OEM navigation system SUCKS! Buy a Garmin. 1,000% better.

15. TxRanger351w

TxRanger351w Member

City, State:
      Beaumont, Tx
      Year and Model:
      95 Ranger S/C
      I have a Garmin in my Toyota. I like it, I'd buy another.

The windshield visibility is slightly limited on the Explorer, I want to avoid cluttering it up with another item. Besides, the wife wants the in-dash navigation. I should have surprised her with the right vehicle, but alas we are not all perfect.

16. Gandalf

Gandalf Active Member

City, State:
      Southern California
      Year and Model:
      2011 Limited
      I find inputting the destination to be clunky, especially using voice commands. However, once the destination is set, my navigation system works just as well as my Garmin Nuvi.

17. jjs461

jjs461 New Member

City, State:
      Philadelphia, PA
      Year and Model:
      2011 Limited
      SAVE YOUR MONEY The Nav system is really really bad. Invest in a Megellan, Garman or Tom Tom unit for your wife. More reliable and way eaiser to use. I just have about given up with MFT Nav System and I have to travel across county this summer and will rely on my old Megallan for guidence. This is really a disapointment and now I'm sorry I bought this vehicle as the entire MFT/Sync is a nightmare. Who would think with a $48,000.00 vehicle a $139.00 GPS unit would be supereior.

18. TxRanger351w

TxRanger351w Member

City, State:
      Beaumont, Tx
      Year and Model:
      95 Ranger S/C
      See my previous post. This is for her, it's what she wants, it's what we'll get. I don't want to crowd the limited windshield with another gadget.

19. shortstackaggie

shortstackaggie New Member

City, State:
      Fort Worth, TX
      Year and Model:
      1999 Ford Explorer XLT
      Does anyone know if you can add the navigation module after you purchase? I don't want to spend $800 on the current navigation system, but if it drastically improves in the next couple of years, I wouldn't mind adding it. Is it just buying the SD Card and having the module loaded in the computer?

Thanks

20. MikeFreas

MikeFreas Active Member

City, State:
      VA Beach VA
      Year and Model:
      Don't quote me but I've read that all of the hardware is there regardless. They may have to plug the laptop in and enable the system like they can do with the DRL's.

21. boss377

boss377 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Annandale, Virginia
      Year and Model:
      2011 Limited
      Like all manufacurers, the NAV has to be installed during production. The SD card is only map info.
      We had a customer (another car brand) make that mistake when ordering and we did install the system at his insistence: one week and a little over $7,000.
      So get a Garmin if you can't afford the factory system.
      It does work, albeit wth a few glitches, but there are some great features, and it all ties with the MFT. Don't get all freaked out by some of these posts. 99% of us love the system, and haven't had any problems. If you go to an Apple Store, there's a counter called the Genius Bar there to get problems with Apples fixed.
      So does that mean there's some big quality issue with Apple?
      No, and Ford will make good on the few units out there that are defective as well.

22. Fredridge

Fredridge Active Member

City, State:
      Los Angeles, CA
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer
      according to several sources I have read, the equipment is exactly the same, but is locked from the factory if not originally equipped. There are probably tons of threads here on it. I searched because the demo I bought did not have it and I really wanted it.

I think the conclusion seems to be they might make it available down the road, but too many other things to worry about now.

here is one article I read on the issue.
      http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367161,00.asp

for now I use google maps and sync services which is decent, not as great as nav, but works well

23. Lexxus

Lexxus New Member

Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer XLT
      No After Market Navigation

:CAN: Hi everyone. I bought my 2011 Explorer XLT in Ottawa ON, and ordered the Navigation after being told by the dealer that it could be added afterwards.

Well, 3 weeks into my car, I get a call from the salesguy telling me that it CANNOT be installed after leaving the factory, and that they cannot install it.

They will refund my money; however, I made it very clear I would NOT buy the car if I could not get navigation installed.....and they still sold it to me, and now are telling me that this is now a used car; therefore, I cannot get my money back and order a new car. The b*st*rds will happily buy my car for $5000 less to allow me to get the proper model with my options.

My lesson learned: don't drive the car off the lot until everything is there and works as ordered.

24. stripesace

stripesace Member

City, State:
      The Woodlands, Tx
      Year and Model:
      2011 XLT
      http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=31704

It would seem that all vehicles that have MFT come equipped with Navigation, but if you want the maps and stuff, it has to be enabled, and then an SD card be purchased for the system to get the map information.

I also seem to remember reading somewhere on a TSB that to ensure you have enabled the map navigation, and sirius travel features that the customer originally had.

25. calb

calb Active Member

Year and Model:
      2012 AWD Explorer Limited
      That seems strange - I thought all Explorers (certainly XLT) came with navigation installed, but you had to pay the $700 for the SD Card and have them then turn it on? I'd check that again. Doesn't sound right. It's not like they have to install anything - just turn it on and give you the SD Card

26. clickclack

clickclack New Member

City, State:
      Ontario
      Year and Model:
      2012 LTD Explorer
      someone should attempt to find someone with the sd card for the maps, and put it in an explorer without navi