Adding Navigation Later | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Navigation Later

According to Ford's build options, in order to have Nav in a XLT for example, it’s only available with leather seats.

I just went and built one and it allowed me to add Nav to an XLT with cloth seats. The software in my X is the same as the software in my Focus, though the options are no where near the same. It's one software fits all, which is why there are many issues with past versions. Just too many different combinations to cover them all in testing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My young grasshopper, Ford has you looking left when the answer is on the right. <clip>
Interesting that a first time poster would be wading in on this thread. Or maybe somebody's second user? :dunno

The basic answer here is that to do this you have to hack the system. Yes, there are other devices that add on and hack the system and provide other functionality - like the ability to activate the front screen while driving, etc. But you still have to hack the system.

Hacking the system will likely void the warranty, and if you screw something up, you are well and truly screwed.

I'm not saying I wouldn't necessarily try it - but I would understand all of the implications if I did.

Slightly off topic, but the easy alternative is just to add on an external GPS. You can get one with all the features of the factory unit and more for less than half the price. Would it be integrated? No - but then again, you can get a Garmin "LM" or Lifetime Updated Maps unit for well under $200 - and it allows you to program while moving.

I just went and built one and it allowed me to add Nav to an XLT with cloth seats. The software in my X is the same as the software in my Focus, though the options are no where near the same. It's one software fits all, which is why there are many issues with past versions. Just too many different combinations to cover them all in testing.

It is possible to get navigation on an XLT with cloth seats, but only with the 201A pkg which also comes with the 8" touch screen.

I just went back to Ford's site and tried it again. Yes, you can build it with cloth in a 2014 but not a 2013. I don't know if that's because they are only going to show you whats left for stock or what.
Bottom line is it shows there are far too many options for Ford to turn the function on.
Rebbeca, thank you for the cooperate answer. I am sure Bill Gates said that about Windows before the first virus hit too. Then they had to scramble and rethink their way of doing business. Its just a matter of time. Maybe it will require hackers to push their own software onto the system if Fords is not there. Personally I think its there already. Again, I will use your cable box as my analogy.
The cable company send a signal to the box to activate X, Y and Z and the box follows the rules.
Hacker use a IDS (bypassing the OASIS if need be) and activates functions (and/or adds new software) to the APIM.

I don't really care what the ford rep has to say on the issue. My buddy works for ford. He has done it on other models. It is involved and you need to know how to it, but it can be done. Of course ford wants you to pay the extra money for it at purchase. Of course they will say it is "impossible". In the end it is possible. You just need to know a service tech that knows how to do it.

Now..most people wont know a tech that would do it. What I discovered from my friend is it is possible. No more, no less....just possible.

It's only a matter of time before some young, extremely smart and talented kid figures out a way to it. Until then I think discussing a good alternative is still where we need to be. My vote is the Igo.

I don't really care what the ford rep has to say on the issue.
I think that could have been said in a different tone. The reps on these forums are here to help us and we are fortunate to have them.:thumbsup:

Peter

I don't really care what the ford rep has to say on the issue. My buddy works for ford. He has done it on other models. It is involved and you need to know how to it, but it can be done. Of course ford wants you to pay the extra money for it at purchase. Of course they will say it is "impossible". In the end it is possible. You just need to know a service tech that knows how to do it.

Now..most people wont know a tech that would do it. What I discovered from my friend is it is possible. No more, no less....just possible.

It's only a matter of time before some young, extremely smart and talented kid figures out a way to it. Until then I think discussing a good alternative is still where we need to be. My vote is the Igo.

Igo? $1700? Sweet.

Igo? $1700? Sweet.

Cant say I am crazy about the Igo systems.
I have 3 issues with them.

One, its not totally factory like. On the factory nav, you can press the upper right corner of the screen to access nav. On this unit, its not interwoven like satellite radio is. You have to press and hold a steering wheel button to access the system.

Two, there is the big honking speaker you have to mount somewhere like your visor.

Three, these are made by Rostra. I purchased a aftermarket Rostra for my F150 about 1 year ago. It crashed constantly and froze. Good ideas from that company just built very poorly. They finally pulled these off the market due to the high failure rate. I gave Rostra my one and only shot at their products.

These units only sell for $899ish if you install it. Installation videos are included.

Here are a couple of companies that sell them:
http://www.rostra.com/softtouch-gm-toyota-navigation-interface-by-rostra.php
Scroll down to the 250-7814 $899. + $14.95 (shipping)

http://electronman.stores.yahoo.net/fomytonainsy.html
Type in 250-7614 to come to this products page. $899.95 (no sure about shipping)

There is also a Garmin upgrade. I am not 100% sure but I think it uses the same hardware as above. Little more expensive too. $1099 (+shipping) and if you want the live traffic feature its an additional $125.
http://gm-navigation.com/ford-navigations/mytouch-gps-navigation-system.html

I think that could have been said in a different tone. The reps on these forums are here to help us and we are fortunate to have them.:thumbsup:

Peter

I agree and it was probably said too bluntly. I think they should really evaluate how they respond to questions about it being added after the fact. Perhaps saying it is possible, but we are not permitting it at this time would have been a more accurate response.

Me saying I don't care what they say on the issue should have been said something like "I don't agree with the response"

Why not consider activating the nav post production as a new revenue stream. Why not charge something like $500. There isn't much involved. A new map card and some reprogramming on fords diagnostic tool.

I know my wife's 2007 Mkz when she had it I was able to take the non nav head unit out and replaced it with a factory nav unit I ordered online. Ford went out of their way to stop this from happening. Either that or the MFT is too intricate a system to begin with.

With the Igo and even the garmin from what I have been told it doesn't matter how your truck is equipped. It works no matter how basic or well equipped. It just borrows the touch screen and you can toggle between the nav and the MFT system with a push of a button. The external speaker is actually tied into the Bluetooth speaker on the sun visor. It isn't some extra thing just clipped on.

I found this forum because I just wanted to share my experience with this whole issue. That is why I don't post that often. I belong to the garage journal with the same user ID if any of you guys are over there. My passion is corvettes and that's how I make a portion of my living. I happen to love fords and the wife and I always have one for our daily drivers. The corvette thing just happened and I enjoy it.

I just went back to Ford's site and tried it again. Yes, you can build it with cloth in a 2014 but not a 2013. I don't know if that's because they are only going to show you whats left for stock or what.
Bottom line is it shows there are far too many options for Ford to turn the function on.
Rebbeca, thank you for the cooperate answer. I am sure Bill Gates said that about Windows before the first virus hit too. Then they had to scramble and rethink their way of doing business. Its just a matter of time. Maybe it will require hackers to push their own software onto the system if Fords is not there. Personally I think its there already. Again, I will use your cable box as my analogy.
The cable company send a signal to the box to activate X, Y and Z and the box follows the rules.
Hacker use a IDS (bypassing the OASIS if need be) and activates functions (and/or adds new software) to the APIM.

All I'm saying is that we don't offer it. With that said, make sure you both vote for it here:

http://social.ford.com/your-ideas/technologies/convenience/navigation-as-a-post-purchase-option/

Maybe in the future it'll be an option.

... The reps on these forums are here to help us and we are fortunate to have them.:thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks, Peter! :)

Rebecca

All I'm saying is that we don't offer it. With that said, make sure you both vote for it here:

http://social.ford.com/your-ideas/technologies/convenience/navigation-as-a-post-purchase-option/

Maybe in the future it'll be an option.

Thanks, Peter! :)

Rebecca

Everyone make sure you go to this site and vote.
I guess its the only way Ford will listen.
My fear right now is there are not enough comments / votes there now for Ford to listen.
I am sure that's more because people don't know about that site than anything.

Everyone make sure you go to this site and vote.
I guess its the only way Ford will listen.
My fear right now is there are not enough comments / votes there now for Ford to listen.
I am sure that's more because people don't know about that site than anything.
The site has been mentioned in several posts. With your comment in mind, I have created a 'Sticky' for that site in the 'Discussion' forum.
Thank you for your input. :):thumbsup:

Peter

Hey Queen! ;) Don't let em get ya' down... you rawk! \m/\m/

Signed - Another one that's happy to have the reps around!

LOL, Helicopter! Thanks.

Queen Rebecca... I like the sound of that. ;)

Rebecca

This thread has been very quite.
I did a ton of research on the topic since and I am convinced Ford really stuck it to the consumer on this one.
There is nothing you can replace the Myford touch with for a couple of reasons.
Mostly concerning the climate controls.
While you can control most of them with Fords climate control buttons, one major function is missing. Where to direct the temp (in other words, on the floor, to the upper body etc).
The second issue is the Myford touch is so built into the vehicle so things like mykey would probably go haywire if you tried to put an aftermarket stereo in.
Now yes, there are companies like idatalink making interfaces, but for whatever reason, they are not touching the Explorer.

This thread has been very quiet.
I did a ton of research on the topic since and I am convinced Ford really stuck it to the consumer on this one.
There is nothing you can replace the Myford touch with for a couple of reasons.
Mostly concerning the climate controls.
While you can control most of them with Fords climate control buttons, one major function is missing. Where to direct the temp (in other words, on the floor, to the upper body etc).
The second issue is the Myford touch is so built into the vehicle so things like mykey would probably go haywire if you tried to put an aftermarket stereo in.
Now yes, there are companies like idatalink making interfaces, but for whatever reason, they are not touching the Explorer.
Not sure I would quite agree with your "Ford really stuck it to the consumer on this one."
The buyer has the option to order the navigation system when ordering the vehicle. Research would show that navigation is not an add-on option that Ford supplies. If it was, it would be listed in their 'Accessories Store'.

Peter

Not sure I would quite agree with your "Ford really stuck it to the consumer on this one."
The buyer has the option to order the navigation system when ordering the vehicle. Research would show that navigation is not an add-on option that Ford supplies. If it was, it would be listed in their 'Accessories Store'.

Peter

I think your taking my quote out of context.
Pretty much every car on the market execpt for Fords with MyFord Touch can have thier radios replaced with an aftermarket unit.

Like I posted before it is possible to make it work after the fact. My buddy is a regional fleet operations manager for the service side for Ford. He's been there 25-30yrs. He has done this on other vehicles. He wouldn't lie. He is very honest and was responding to my personal request about it. Look on pg 6 for his explanation. I just wish ford would say it is possible, but we don't want to do it. Be honest that's all. I know the rep that comes on here picks and chooses their words carefully and probably doesn't really know what's possible and what's not. They serve more or less as someone to talk to that represents the company in a community type way. In no way is it technical or mechanical. There's nothing wrong with that. I am glad they are here. All I am saying is I think they might be the wrong person answer this controversy in an accurate way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just noticed in the settings the other day it has a vehicle position with the latitude and longitude. It changes as you drive indicating that you have satellite triangulation. I think most of the hardware is already there and just needs activation with an sd card of maps.

Back