adjust your TPS (another free hp mod) | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

adjust your TPS (another free hp mod)

TPS Mod

Do You guys think this mod would work on a 2004 Explorer AWD with the 4.0 L engine?

Were is it possible to see a picture of the TPS and IAC on this vehicle?

I may be mistaken but what I think is the TPS has 4 colored wires coming into it!

Thankyou for your help!

Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, I tried today, really confuse mine has brown/white, gray/red, gray/white color....which color need it....connect with sensor or without sensor....please let me know Thank!!!

help~

I do not really how to use multimeter too...first time....need help...

Thanks!!

Hi, I tried today, really confuse mine has brown/white, gray/red, gray/white color....which color need it....connect with sensor or without sensor....please let me know Thank!!!

just did this today. my truck has the same colored wires.

brown/white- constant 5v, not needed

gray/red-ground

gray/white- adjustable positive

test with sensor plugged in.

im a dumbass with electrical stuff

i know how to use the multi meter and probe, so my wuestion is which two wires do is tick them into?

i know i need a positive and a ground right?

'99 Mounty here bone-stock with about 105k miles.

I adjusted my TPS to .94v as described, which netted me a more abrubt on/off throttle response and worse fuel mileage. The impression I got was it somehow richened the lower throttle setting; it felt like a carb that was running too rich on the pilot jet.

Stock, the system read 1.0v.

I switched back to the stock setting and gas mileage went back up by about 2mpg and throttle on/off transition was MUCH smoother.

My gas mileage is mainly based on a 10-minute drive to/from work; city driving.

tps adjustment

Guys , I have a query ,why do some of you think 98 is better than 96 .I had to take mine of the plenum and use a impact screwdriver .I ended up dumping the screws and put stainless steel bolts in with anti sieze .I adjusted to 96 from 91 and found a marked difference in response and a smoother engine ,now I have gone to 98 but as yet have to try her .People having trouble piercing the cables an idea would be to sharpen the meter probes

I cannot seem to unscrew those bloody philips screws on the tps , they are the most stubborn twins ive ever came across !

I tried all kinds of screw drivers but had no luck yet .

Should i be unscrewing it counter-clock wise ? and what tools would i need to get the damn things off ?

I cannot seem to unscrew those bloody philips screws on the tps , they are the most stubborn twins ive ever came across !

I tried all kinds of screw drivers but had no luck yet .

Should i be unscrewing it counter-clock wise ? and what tools would i need to get the damn things off ?

You might try a heat gun or hair dryer--I think there is a dab of loc-tite stuff on them

while i think this is a really great and important piece of information and i am going to try this on my big trucks, i have just spent an hour reading thru only half of this to see what the out comes were and i figure i saw 1 outcome every third page while the other 2 pages between were how do i find the same wire and how do i use a meter???? is there a way the info can be posted and locked or something so the important info is easily accessable? and is there a chance of maybe having a poll if this worked and after tested for awhile it proved to be good, and in what way it proved to be good? i really like to learn new info but i really think if you can't read a meter, don't try this...and then ask repeatedly the same 2 questions...i would be more than glad to help if i can and i don't hope anyone thinks i'm shouting or anything...this is some important info to just be ruined by, what meter should i use and where can i find one? lmao...

1999 X Sport
4.0L SOHC
72,587 Miles

STOCK - outside of a few Lund/AVS plastic looky-loos

I read this and thought I'd give it a go. Got a reading of .901 to the T, after playing with it a bit I could only get as close as .937. Had to drill. After drilling and more playing I got the reading to .964. Close enough for government work. Tightened everything up and took another reading to see how bad I joseled it by final tightening, .959. tapped the top of the sensor with the butt of my screwdriver and got .960 - Yep right on the money :D

What I noticed IT WILL VARY ON YOUR TRUCK:
1. Seemed to settle in idle faster on start-up - didn't have to wait as long.
2. 'Lil extra pick-up
3. Shifted a bit smoother

Wished I had found this sooner would have definently tried it on my '98. ***** never could decide on an idle speed. 1000, 900, 600, 800, 500, 400, 700 etc.

TIPS and TRICKS - Things I found that helped me

Set your meter to the 2V (TWO VOLTS) setting if it has one, you'll get an extra decimal out of it for finite tuning. If not use the 20V setting.

Wiring:
Grey white tracer - Red probe
Grey red tracer - Black probe
Brown - Ignore

For stuck screws: get a screw-gripping product like Loc-Tite (I think thats the name) OR get help from a friend, Have him/her press on the back off the screwdriver while you turn it out or vice versa you hold, he/she turns - the back pressure will give you the ability to turn it harder without it stripping out. GO SLOW if it gets stuck after you get it out a bit spray a TINY BIT of WD-40 or PB and wait a min for it to soak in. After you get them out put some Anti Seaze (Silver goop for those who don't know) to help next time you need to do this. Make sure your screwdriver has a nice big bit in it to grip the screw tighly. REMEMBER ---- RIGHTY-TIGHTY, LEFTY-LOOSEY. Turn counter-clockwise, to take out.

For those of you with metal sleeves in the holes. Just drill 'em out. Get a big drill bit. What happened for me, and it MAY for you, is the drill will get stuck in the metal sleeve and begin to spin the sleeve inside of the plastic. This will heat the plastic slighly -you'll see a 'lil smoke. Reverse the drill and pull. The bit will come out with the sleeve attached, no need to elongate. I only did this to the bottom hole seeing as when I pushed the sensor downward I got a higher reading.
3661tps_underside.jpg

Dont loose your time .. TPS mod is a myth . TPS is only a referance for the EEC.

If people know how to read EEC Table , they will understand that even if the voltage is a .9999 or .90 , there is no difference in performance.

Dont loose your time .. TPS mod is a myth . TPS is only a referance for the EEC.

If people know how to read EEC Table , they will understand that even if the voltage is a .9999 or .90 , there is no difference in performance.

Due to the number of people noting a noticeable difference I'd beg to differ, but that's just my 2 cents. I tried it, but my voltage was already at .98 no change needed :thumbsup: .

Sorry LeKid...I don't think its a myth either. Just did it to my 00 Sport with the OHV engine and here's what I noticed immediately. Initial reading was a .91 BTW, but I dialed it to .96 on the nose (YEAH BABY!).

-went to idle quickly at start-up
-idle was smoother with less variations in revs
-while driving, seemed more responsive
-and with a WOT throttle run up an on-ramp, the engine was quieter with smoother shifts. Felt quicker, too. Oh, and Christie Brinkley drove past in a red Ferrari and blew me a kiss.

Ok, maybe it wasn't Christie, but then again, the guy who was with her did look like Chuck Norris.

But the performance differences were for real. I'm going on a 700 mile round trip this weekend, so I'll report back on any gas milage differences.

HUGE Difference!!! I must admit that I did some other things, too though. I was running my tires at 40 psi and driving somewhat more conservatively. BTW, the 40 psi felt fine. Not too rough at all. Anyway, the results...

Normally, my truck gets about 17 MPG no matter what. Maybe mid 16's driving around town, high 17's on a long smooth trip, but that's it.

First leg: 253 Miles, All highway driving and utilizing some of Aldive's suggestions for smooth driving... 20.02 MPG!!!!
Second leg: 233 Miles plus 3-4 hours of idling. Turned engine on and off multiple times. Lots of mountain driving that forced me into the higher revs for long periods of time... 16.946 MPG, but my last trip with similar usage resulted in 14.5 MPG
Third Leg: 232 Miles, All highway driving. Some tough mountain passes, and I drove a little more like me because I wanted to get home... 19.73 MPG

Granted, the tire pressure helped, but I've played with it before and have much of a result. The third leg almost takes the conservative driving out of the equation. So, even if you assume that I'd nomally get around 18 MPG under those conditions, the TPS adjustment yielded me nearly a 10% gain in fuel economy. Best hour I ever spent...under the hood at least.

ill have to give this a shot, theres nothing to loose

Well I guess I'll put my 2 cents in now...maybe after another 60 we'll have a dollar.

I just did the TPS mod as stated in this thread. I have not driver the Ex since I just did it. It does Idle much more smoothly, it was starting to idle extremely rough but not die, I had already checked the IAC so it wasn't it. I did the mod and the Ex purrs like a kitten while idleing.

I have noticed a sharp decrease in gas mileage in the last 2 weeks. I am going to check and replace if bad the Oxygen sensors next.

I am also going to do the throttle cable mod to remove the slack in it in a few minutes.

I will respond after driving for a while to see if anything else is improved from this mod.

David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

we'll be waiting to see how the mod did for you...:D

Back