Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

After a week with my new '17 Sport...

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by missin44, January 11, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. missin44

missin44 New Member

City, State:
      CO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2017 Ford Explorer Sport
      I'm very happy with my new '17 Sport.

2. Front seats
      3. For a SUV it handles surprisingly well
      4. SYNC3 - Nice and works well. Except Nav.
      5. Quiet
      6. As fun to drive as an SUV can be

Dislikes:
      1. Navigation - very basic at best. Save money and skip the nav if possible. Get Android Auto or Apple CarPlay and use Google Maps or Waze.
      2. Rear power outlets - Mounted on rear of console between front seats. Poor location, stow the second row seats and if you have something plugged in the second row seat back does not have enough clearance to clear plugs. That said love the 110 outlet!
      3. Rubber mats - This assumes you want that option. They're OK, still skip that option and get WeatherTech or Husky mats for coverage and fit just as well. FYI - I got the Husky 3rd row floor mat, cargo mat for behind the 3rd row & full cargo mat for behind the 2nd row. They fit and look great.
      4. Tires in snow - No two ways about it, terrible in snow or ice. These are not even all season tires. Granted this is not the tires design, yet I live in snow country. If you get a new Sport budget for snow tires.

Of all my gripes they're pretty trivial except for the Nav system. It's high dollar item for little return.

Man do I love this motor.

In short would still have bought the same vehicle,

Last edited: January 11, 2018
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      I like the NAV, I love the split screen and how it shows how many lanes are going in each direction for highway exits and splits. It also shows the speed limit for most major highways which is a plus for me.

4. missin44

missin44 New Member

City, State:
      CO
      2017 Ford Explorer Sport
      Split is nice. However Google Maps and Waze both show speed limits and are much more up to date. I already know of 2 sections of Interstate where speed limit was once 75, it's now 80 and has been for over 2 years. NAV still shows 75. In NAV there is a rural road in my are that isn't on NAV it is on Google and Waze. Google and Wave data base is far superior, EX - Want Joe's Pizza in XXX Nevada, it's most likely on Google and Waze. Probably not on NAV. Of course you can inpute the address as a last resort. The biggest limitation on Google Maps or Waze is that you need 3G/4G to get it initiated. Once initiated it's good to go. Waze is very good at accident, police and heavy traffic locations. My system does have the latest update BTW.

NAV will get the job granted and if limited to only NAV it's fine. My point, at least for me it's a huge waste of money for what you get when compared to what's free with virtually every smart phone out there.

5. thefranchise713

thefranchise713 Active Member

City, State:
      Buffalo, NY
      '17 Explorer Limited 4WD
      Navigation in this car is my favorite feature, honestly. You're right, it's a little behind though.

6. rok8man

rok8man Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Frisco, TX
      2017 Explorer LTD
      I like the navigation on Sync3 better than the previous system. I like the way you can input the address as it is and not go to each section for address/house/city/state that is cumbersome. I also love the breadcrumb feature as well.

7. Halwg

Halwg Active Member

City, State:
      WV
      2016 Explorer Base 2.3L E
      The Sport isn't made for winter driving. It's a Performance vehicle. If you are going to drive in snow, you should replace the stock tires and only drive them in the non-winter months.

8. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I disagree that the Sport isn't made for Winter driving. But I do agree that Winter tires should be used. I have the Platinum with the same engine and always use dedicated Winter tires. No problem driving it in Winter. The TMS 'Snow' mode can also be of great help in adapting to the conditions. Non of the stock tires regardless of trim level are designed for Winter conditions.

Peter

9. missin44

missin44 New Member

City, State:
      CO
      2017 Ford Explorer Sport
      Agree, the AWD sys it's self is no different than any other Explorer, at least as far as I know. The only difference are the tires. To be clear it's the tires which were never intended for winter conditions that are lousy on snow and ice.

10. COscooter

COscooter New Member

City, State:
      Colorado! It's all downhill from here....
      2016 Explorer Sport
      Tires are so important. I just put new Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06's on our '16 Sport. Huge improvement over the factory Hancocks - which I hated.

11. Fcal124

Fcal124 New Member

City, State:
      NJ
      2018 Sport
      Just picked up my Sport last week and already thinking of putting the Contis on it.

12. Bstard2001

Bstard2001 Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Long Beach, NY
      17 Explorer Sport
      Last edited: January 16, 2018 at 4:44 PM