• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Cargo Net

stillmarried

Reaction score
City, State
South Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 ExplorerLimited 3.5L
I carry a couple of bins and ice chest in the back of the Ex. I have the Police Interceptor type trunk in the back, and keep the second row seats down; so the stuff fits on top of this trunk lid. When we go to Walmart, I can place our groceries, etc. in the bins and ice chest, and they hold everything in place. The problem is that if I have to slam on the brakes or if I was in an accident, these bins and ice chest could be deadly projectiles that get us in the front seats. So to solve this, I bought a 4' x 6' cargo net, (has 7" square openings), and 7 carabineers, (spring loaded metal clips), from Walmart. There are three metal clips behind the second row seats that I think are used for baby car seats, so I connect three carabineers to those clips at the back of the seats that holds one end of the cargo net in place. I connect two carabineers and the other end of the cargo net to the two clips at the rear of the trunk. Since I have the Police Interceptor type trunk, I added a couple of brackets on each side of the trunk, and clipped to these brackets. Now the cargo net holds everything in place.
Edit: here is link of the aftermarket cargo net that I bought from Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/16-Hook-...gee-Cargo-Net-Automotive-6-x-4-feet/346841122

I just hope the fasteners are strong enough to hold the weight of the items in a sudden stop like a crash. It's amazing how much the smallest object will exert a striking force in a case like that. Do you have a link to that particular cargo net and/or pictures. When I first read the thread title I was thinking you were referring to the standard cargo net that comes with the Explorer. Modified the title.

Petre

Something I have found that works well is if you sheet Velcro from McMaster Carr and put the hook side on the bottom of the container. Once pressed hard the containers don’t tend to move again... or ever. Makes for a great anchor.

has anyone come up with a good looking toneau cover so to speak to go over the cargo ... like a retractable like the old explorers? it would be nice to have a nice tidy cover to go over my misc stuff.. and keep it tidy looking

Back