Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Aftermarket Tail Light Options

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorer Sport Tuning' started by klr-b-scl, November 1, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. klr-b-scl

klr-b-scl New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2015 Ford Explorer Sport
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
      Looks nice but it looks like they show white light in them when activated??

Peter

4. klr-b-scl

klr-b-scl New Member

2015 Ford Explorer Sport
      Thanks, I went to post and thought I had an account and realized I never signed up. Been stalking for over 3 years and somehow never posted hahaha.

5. Rainlord

Rainlord Active Member

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      Cool lights, I wonder how the build quality is on them for that price, but I do love the look of the break light compared to Ford default.

I see they do another version that extends onto the tailgate, although attachment for that extension with 3M tape seems a little.. "hmm, maybe not". Even if 3M tape can be crazy strong.

6. Black Eyed

Black Eyed Member

City, State:
      Riyadh
      Explorer 2015 base model
      They are really nice

i wonder if there is an aftermarket headlights as well

7. unixadm

unixadm Active Member

2015 PIU Ecoboost
      I've had better luck with aftermarket LED taillights than I have aftermarket headlights. I've normally found aftermarket headlights to be of low quality, adjusters which have play in them and overall less than ideal beam options. I've also had them leak.

8. Zodiac

Zodiac Active Member

2017 Ford Explorer Sport
    9. Rainlord

Rainlord Active Member

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      I couldn't resist and just ordered the taillights in smoked black, so I'll post an update once I have them. I'll also post some pics of installation procedure and when they're installed etc. I had to route them shipping-wise via family in the US, so it might take a little longer than usual to get them over here...

10. unixadm

unixadm Active Member

2015 PIU Ecoboost
      I bought a set of the red ones and they'll be delivered today. Unsure if they'll work on my PIU but I'll post my findings during the next few days when I get a chance to install them.

11. klr-b-scl

klr-b-scl New Member

2015 Ford Explorer Sport
      Cool I'd love to see images.

My truck is in the shop...string of bad luck with it recently and it's driving me insane. Dead battery, leaking transaxle, cracking seats, door panel falling apart... instead of lights may need a new vehicle. Ugghhhhhhhh

12. unixadm

unixadm Active Member

2015 PIU Ecoboost
      Installed. Decent quality, fit isn't 100% but it's not bad. Plug and play on my PIU.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    13. Black Eyed

Black Eyed Member

City, State:
      Riyadh
      Explorer 2015 base model
      They are amazing, what about the turn signals ? are they good ?

14. Rainlord

Rainlord Active Member

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      Care to clarify on the "fit isn't 100%"? Did you have to modify them in any way?

15. unixadm

unixadm Active Member

2015 PIU Ecoboost
      If you look at the lights, the three small rectangular embedded lights are the brake / turn signal lamps. They are quite bright and include an integrated resistor to prevent hyper flashing. The light tubes are used for the running lights.

I'd say they could hug the body a bit better. You also have to transfer a piece from the stock lamps. When I went to install that piece on the aftermarket lights, the locating dowels were too big to go through the holes so that I could reinstall the 7MM screws. I had to drill the locating dowel holes out slightly to get those pieces to install onto the new lights. Very simple, doesn't affect going back to stock in any way, but it was a minor inconvenience.

• Useful Useful x 2
    16. will_p

will_p New Member

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      2013 Explorer Limited
      just bought the black/ smoked version of these, they looked too good to pass up... will update on thoughts once i get them

17. Rainlord

Rainlord Active Member

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      Still waiting to install mine as when I tried it, I missed the fact that on older model explorers (11, 12, not sure if others) you need to get a completely different light harness as those lights assume you have twist-in bulbs. It said so in the ebay listing in red, so me not reading that was the biggest mistake in that regard :oops: the harnesses were a little harder to find, but the ID is in the ebay listing as well, so for those that consider these lights with an older model, it may be worth checking your harness first unless you feel like having a harder time installing them :)

18. will_p

will_p New Member

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      2013 Explorer Limited
      oh crap i didn't realize it was a harness that was needed... mine is a 13 so hopefully i don't have issues.

(edit) i just looked up the harness look to be about 15-20 each so not bad if needed..

19. thefranchise713

thefranchise713 Active Member

City, State:
      Buffalo, NY
      '17 Explorer Limited 4WD
      I'm kind of surprised that it's limited to older vehicles, given that the lighting visually changed between 15/16, but technologically it didn't--what was LED was still LED, and what was halogen still halogen.

20. Rainlord

Rainlord Active Member

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      Edit: I'm dumb. I asked where this wire goes, but it connects as a light in the twist-light-socket. So I'll leave this post here in case someone else is having a "dumb day" :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: January 13, 2018
    21. Rainlord

Rainlord Active Member

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      Ok, one question to those that did this. Behind the large black plastic plug of the tail light wiring harness, there's a bunch of wires (5 of them) that go into the body of the car and then connects to a clip. How do you get in there to unclip / clip a new harness on? The hole for the plug is about 2 inches wide, which means no hand can go in there (and the wire is quite taunt so you can't pull on it to get at the clip). I assume one would have to go in from another part of the car, but which? I'd rather not disassemble the whole car to switch out that harness...

Edit: Here's a picture to explain better, the clip is on the right next to the green tape and then the plug.
      [​IMG]

22. will_p

will_p New Member

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      2013 Explorer Limited
      Luckily i didnt need harness, got them installed tonight. Seem to be a very good quality and they look great. I'll try to make a link with some pics soon.

23. Rainlord

Rainlord Active Member

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      Finally finished installing mine. I figured out how to exchange the wiring harness for the new one, which involves taking off the cargo net holders (screws) of the inside of the trunk first, then yanking like a madman on the panels there (it's one huge panel on each side). I didn't get the panels off completely, no idea what was holding them in, but I got them off enough to get a view down inside and was able to reach in and unclip/reclip the new harness. If someone else has to do this, just reach in, unclip the old harness first. Around that area there's some black foam-y stuff where the wire goes to the headlight, push that to the side a bit, and pull the whole wire out from the back of the headlight (the big black plastic plug on the harness just pulls out). Then snake the new one in and grab it from inside, and clip it in, then push the black plug back into the hole. Re-adjust the black foam stuff and you're done. Here's a picture of the clip you're after:

[​IMG]

Definitely wasn't a fun process. I also highly suggest that whoever does this - make sure when you transfer the screw-in part of the headlight over that it the clips on it are on correctly, or it won't be a snug fit. (Also, if you're doing this transfer, make sure you have two reverse bulbs that fit the new harness as the old ones will not). Result was definitely worth it (smoked black ones) and they seem really good quality (for plastic).

[​IMG]

If anyone wants more details on any of that, let me know :)

• Like Like x 1
    24. will_p

will_p New Member

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      2013 Explorer Limited
      yep that's what mine looks like except on a white explorer... looks great Rainlord! I didn't have any trouble with the reverse bulb fitting, so if you have the newer harness like mine you shouldn't need anything extra. Also if you don't mind me asking what kind of cross bars are those and do you like the quality?

25. Rainlord

Rainlord Active Member

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      The bulbs went in easy, it was more the harness that took forever to exchange on my car, but I think even late 2012 models they changed the harness to the one that everyone seems to have already (the one the lights call for). I also don't know why my old harnesses had 1 tap on the left and 3 on the right to some wires I've no clue what they are or where they go, but I moved those over just in case. This car has a lot of weird wire-things going on with it from whoever owned it before.

The crossbars are "Thule Aeroblade" (item number: 8923160004). I got them from REI as they ship internationally. Also got these locks for them. They're really, really great. At some specific speed, like between 40-45km/h I can sometimes (rarely) hear them (or if it's blowing a really hard crosswind), but otherwise I never hear them. Usually the people that complain about noise install them too far forward. They're super sturdy as well. I got them with the intention of getting a roof cargo box, haven't bought one yet though.

Last edited: January 19, 2018
    26. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Speaking of a "snug fit", looks like you're kind of pushing the limits of thet parking spot.:D

Peter