Aftermarket weld on Axle wedges as good as stock wedges? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket weld on Axle wedges as good as stock wedges?

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
I am removing the stock wedges from the 1977 HP D44 so I can cut off 6" from the "C" end of the tube. Also the track bar mount is being replaced with a higher aftermarket mount welded on the tube.

I found a set of weld on wedges at Bronco Graveyard/James Duff for replacements.

Are these as good as a stock Dana set of wedges? Should I try to keep the stock wedges in good shape to reuse again? I could cut off the track mount if I had to I guess.

Thanks in advance! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used them have no experience with the original so cant compare But im curios why you dont leave full width is it a bronco or f150

I used them have no experience with the original so cant compare But im curios why you dont leave full width is it a bronco or f150

And what is your view on the aftermarket versions?

Full width is nice, but not feasible for the street use this rig will see.

Its a HP FW out of a 1977 F-150, .500" tube. Has been completely rebuilt already with new everything, including a new Dana LSD, gears, axles, BJ's, Spicer U-joints, etc... Was going to be used for a full width set up on a dif rig in the beginning.

I think they are all right they seem too thick the radius arms wont close all the way like they normally do and when you get it as tight as possible it smushes the c bushings and made mycoil bow slightley. If i had a chance i would use original. Mine is full width and its fine for the road the only problem i have is i fd up my pinion angle in rear and for the price of shortening and getting a custom shaft to me would outweigh it because you can get different offset wheels

I will watch the wedge bushings as I tighten them. Thanks for that info. Never would have thought of that.

Going to use the upgrade EB axles on the narrowed side. They come with bigger ujoints. Readily available now, and price has dropped to less than $100 each.

I would have to change the rear axle to full width if I kept the front full.

Laws on the width for tires past fenders, change from State to State. This is not going to be a trailer queen just yet. ;)

Oh ya i thought you might be using 9 inch

Ya totally spaced me i think our laws are pretty bad but you are okay with flaps

Back