Aftermarket wheels | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll love it! I ordered Touren TR-9 wheels as downsized 18s, for my dedicated winters. But I don't know if those are available in the US. I ordered mine in Canada from 1010tires. I'm sure TireRack has a bunch of similar wheels. What I like about the Tourens is the lug nuts are covered which requires a small hex nut to open it up, so it's a simple very clean look. I also really like the look of the stock 20's. Reminds me of Audi.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're interested in the blacked out look, but don't want to spring for the Sport there's another option: the XLT w/sport appearance package. Technically it's not 'blacked out' as the trim, wheels and grill are magnetic metallic versus black, but I can assure it turns heads. And you still get the 'Explorer' badging on the hood like on the Sport. Ours has nearly every option available on the XLT (minus 2nd row center console) and we really like the two tone leather seats (black leather outside, grey suede inside.)

It has BLIS, front and rear parking assist, etc. Doesn't have adaptive cruise control or lane keep or of course the twin turbo. Of course the MSRP was just under $46,000 on ours.

Not trying to sway your decision one way or the other, just showing you that there are other options for a 'blacked out' from the factory look without buying the sport (although I really want that TT, haha.)
View attachment 94327

So do you have any specs on your wheels? I bought a 2017 Sport but like the black wheels ( i think they call yours magnetic gray ) better but called 4 dealerships up here and they act like they have no clue what I'm talking about when I ask how I can order these wheels.

So do you have any specs on your wheels? I bought a 2017 Sport but like the black wheels ( i think they call yours magnetic gray ) better but called 4 dealerships up here and they act like they have no clue what I'm talking about when I ask how I can order these wheels.
I've got smoked quartz, which is a metallic two coat option, and it's sort of half way between magnetic gray and black. I provided a link to where I bought them on my prior post. For the winters I got the 18 x 8 5/108, 5/114.3 40 mm. 72.62 ones. The 20" one's appear to be sold out.

If you're interested in the blacked out look, but don't want to spring for the Sport there's another option: the XLT w/sport appearance package. Technically it's not 'blacked out' as the trim, wheels and grill are magnetic metallic versus black, but I can assure it turns heads. And you still get the 'Explorer' badging on the hood like on the Sport. Ours has nearly every option available on the XLT (minus 2nd row center console) and we really like the two tone leather seats (black leather outside, grey suede inside.)

It has BLIS, front and rear parking assist, etc. Doesn't have adaptive cruise control or lane keep or of course the twin turbo. Of course the MSRP was just under $46,000 on ours.

Not trying to sway your decision one way or the other, just showing you that there are other options for a 'blacked out' from the factory look without buying the sport (although I really want that TT, haha.)
View attachment 94327
I've got smoked quartz, which is a metallic two coat option, and it's sort of half way between magnetic gray and black. I provided a link to where I bought them on my prior post. For the winters I got the 18 x 8 5/108, 5/114.3 40 mm. 72.62 ones. The 20" one's appear to be sold out.

Thanks Kmarnes . but I was actually posting the question to Supr Squirrel.....

Thanks Kmarnes . but I was actually posting the question to Supr Squirrel.....

The black rims you like are new to the 2017 XLT. which comes with the Sport Appearance package option.

The black rims you like are new to the 2017 XLT. which comes with the Sport Appearance package option.

Right, I was just curious about purchasing them bc I actually like them better than the SPORT rims and I mentioned this to a few dealerships up here, but they all act like they have no clue what I'm referencing.

Right, I was just curious about purchasing them bc I actually like them better than the SPORT rims and I mentioned this to a few dealerships up here, but they all act like they have no clue what I'm referencing.

You're better off trying to find replicas, as the dealership will charge you an arm and a leg for factory rims

Sorry, been away most of the day getting my two year old's cast cut off his leg and whatnot. :)

So I looked at my window sticker and the wheels do indeed fall under the 'XLT sport appearance package' as 613GT500 suggested. Looks like you might have to buy the whole package to get them (maybe not, though) and that includes the wheels and the black roof rack side rails. I would assume it also includes the metallic metal grill and trim pieces (as that's part of the appearance package), although they aren't listed. The package cost $1,295.

When I look on FordETIS the wheels are listed as '20 X 8.5" 10 Spoke Alloy Wheel.' Perhaps if the picture of the window sticker doesn't get them moving in the right direction that info might?

20161221_173010.jpg

Actually, a while back we were discussing wheels and I found these. They are Enkei Performance Onx wheels and come in at $232 a wheel on tirerack.com. I think they look pretty similar and might be a cheap 'fall back' to paying through the nose for factory wheels. :)

enkeiperf_onx_b_pdpfull.jpg

Honestly I think most people like the look of the 2017 Sport 20" stock wheels over the XLT black appearance ones. I bet you could find someone to do a straight trade for them.

These ones are the factory XLT Sport rims you like......I like them too.

Ford%20Explorer%20XLT%20Rim.jpg

Couldn't be happier with how my wheel set up turned out! Went with the Velgen VMB6 in Satin Bronze. 20x10.5 et +45. More pictures to come!

15230815_10211164579007789_2328186074265311266_n.jpg
Ken, did you lower the car at all? Forgive me if it's posted on here and I missed it. Those wheels and tires looked damned sweet. I might have to get the same in black satin. I just powder coated the stock wheels on my Platinum.

Ken, did you lower the car at all? Forgive me if it's posted on here and I missed it. Those wheels and tires looked damned sweet. I might have to get the same in black satin. I just powder coated the stock wheels on my Platinum.

Post a picture of your powder coated wheels I would love to see how that turned out.

if you are going to lower it get that done first, you will notice the wheels sit in more from the fenders after. If you do get spacers only get bolt on spacers not the shims that sandwich on your factory length wheel studs.
Problem with wheel spacers depends on the factory wheel, are the pockets BETWEEN the lug nut holes at the back of the wheel deep enough if they even have any? IF your factory lug nuts protrude through the spacers, more of a problem on thin spacers, they might contact the wheel hub and your wheel may loosen off or not seat at all which is dangerous.
If the factory wheels do have the pockets you would need to inspect the clearance first by placing one onto the vehicle NOT using the factory lug nut holes but in between so the wheel studs sit inside the wheels pockets and measure the distance from the brake rotor to the back of the wheel mounting surface. You would then find a spacer at least that thickness plus about 1/8"- 1/4" for clearance assuming the the tire wont rub the fender. Last resort is cutting the factory whel studs shorter.
There should be a few posts regarding what spacers work for what year but I would still double check the measurements or have a shop purchase and install them for you. :D

if you are going to lower it get that done first, you will notice the wheels sit in more from the fenders after. If you do get spacers only get bolt on spacers not the shims that sandwich on your factory length wheel studs.
Problem with wheel spacers depends on the factory wheel, are the pockets BETWEEN the lug nut holes at the back of the wheel deep enough if they even have any? IF your factory lug nuts protrude through the spacers, more of a problem on thin spacers, they might contact the wheel hub and your wheel may loosen off or not seat at all which is dangerous.
If the factory wheels do have the pockets you would need to inspect the clearance first by placing one onto the vehicle NOT using the factory lug nut holes but in between so the wheel studs sit inside the wheels pockets and measure the distance from the brake rotor to the back of the wheel mounting surface. You would then find a spacer at least that thickness plus about 1/8"- 1/4" for clearance assuming the the tire wont rub the fender. Last resort is cutting the factory whel studs shorter.
There should be a few posts regarding what spacers work for what year but I would still double check the measurements or have a shop purchase and install them for you. :D

Thanks for the tips. I got a GoodYear garage that I've been going to for years. I'm going to ask them about the bolt on spacers and what they think. Again, thanks for the tips!

Thank you, my car is lowered on H&R lowering springs. Defiantly a must do!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you, my car is lowered on H&R lowering springs. Defiantly a must do!

Ken, can you let me know EXACTLY what springs you bought. I want to buy the exact same set up except I'm going to get black wheels. I think we live in different states so were okay if I wear the same outfit? :p

Back