for access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Air Intake Whistling noise

Discussion in 'Modified 2006 - 2010 Explorers' started by 2006explorV6, September 11, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 2006explorV6

2006explorV6 New Member

City, State:
      DC
      Year and Model:
      2006 Explorer V6 4.0
      Hi,

I have a 2006 XLT 4.0L v6 explorer that was stock, until I recently installed a custom dual exhaust on it (AMAZING sound), along with a KKM air intake. I have noticed that after the installation of the KKM intake, there is a whistling sound whenever I push on the accelerator. It is super high pitched and super annoying. I have read some threads on here, and apparently the whistle is a common problem on the v6 4.0. Has anyone ever successfully fixed this problem? It seems as though no one has figured out how to fix it.

Also, how important/useful/much performance would be gained by installing a heat shield?

Thanks in advance.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    4. 2006explorV6

2006explorV6 New Member

City, State:
      DC
      Year and Model:
      2006 Explorer V6 4.0
      I dont think that could be it. This is the 06 and it looks nothing like what was in that video. Also, the loud sound (a whistle, much like you try to suck in with your lips closed) didn't start until AFTER I installed the air intake.

Anyone? I know many of you reported this same specific problem after installing the KKM Air Intake on 2006 Explorer's v6 4.0's. Did everyone just have to live with it, or could anyone fix it?

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    6. 2006explorV6

2006explorV6 New Member

City, State:
      DC
      Year and Model:
      2006 Explorer V6 4.0
      Warren Kurtz, founder of KKM, posts here (as KKM) and said in the thread that it was an issue with another part of the car being loose. It doesn't make the noise when I put it in park and rev it, but it makes it (mostly between 1000 and 2500rpm) when Im driving and accelerating.

7. beachthug4

beachthug4 Member

City, State:
      los angeles, ca
      Year and Model:
      2006 xlt 4x4
      I have the same problem and made a post about it last year, his response was:

I would suggest checking the areas mentioned on any whistling noise. I can't say there have been more than 2-3 people on the newer integrated style airbox systems with a whistle noise. Asside from the obvious IAC valve issues that plagued older models, you might look into the areas of the crankcase vent line as a possible source for the noise.

This was the thread
      http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163292&page=2

8. WWasem

WWasem Active Member

City, State:
      Lehigh Valley, PA
      Year and Model:
      '07 Explorer EB '01 Sport
      My '07 has a slight whistle even with the STOCK intake FWIW...

9. ahent

ahent New Member

City, State:
      Johnston, IA
      Year and Model:
      '07 XLT
      I have tried absolutely everything and it comes down to how the throttlebody takes the air. The only reason you hear it with the cold air intake is because you now have an open intake. if you put your air intake to stock again and listen, you can hear the whistle faintly. It got so annoying I finally took my CAI off and just go with a regular stock replacement K&N. If anybody has different info, I would love to hear it. Some things I have done....
      sealed all connections with tape
      changed the size and shape (even disconnected) crankcase ventilation
      took off those goofy plastic add on pieces (one looks like a "j" the other a rectangle) and plugged those holes.
      None of this had any effect. I have wondered for some time if I install a tornado (cheap garbage that has no effect on mileage or hp) hopeing that it will change the airflow enough to get rid of the noise, but I haven't tried it or heard of anyone trying it. I would be embarrased to buy one in person, I would have to order online.
      If anybody has info or help I would appreciate it also, but to be clear, this is the noise that comes within a 500 rpm range around 2200rpm. Not the tpi noise and not the ventilation noise coming from the air/heat unit.

10. Cstelly

Cstelly New Member

City, State:
      Houston, Tx
      Year and Model:
      holy crap, dude i have the same problem...but i dont think its your add on....my exhaust is stock and just hit 36000 miles....and now i hear the high pitchg whistling sound when i hit my accelerator too....i try to convince my self it aint a thing but after reading this post this might be a problem...mine is a 06 too

11. wickedklown

wickedklown New Member

ya, i need to check that valve on mine and see if that changes anything.. Iv been around the block with mine also - changing to a KN filter, covering holes, leaving the box open, trying all sorts of differnet options, however i never thought that it might be somthing else causing the problem..

While i hear nothing at idle, im still wondering if that may be the problem.

The video shown seems to be having the issue at idle, and i cant hear it at that point, only from 1800 - 2200 or so. however i suppose it cant hurt to try.

12. seannydeez

seannydeez Active Member

City, State:
      Braintree, MA
      Year and Model:
      2006 Limited
      I know it's been awhile, but has anyone found a solution to the air intake whistle yet? I had my KKM for a year and never had any issues, but I recently had my explorer serviced at which time they replaced the TPS and since then I've been getting the high pitched whine on acceleration. I took it back to Ford and they said the noise is the aftermarket intake and they have a TSB that says aftermarket intakes will make this type of noise on the V6 explorers. I just don't see how I could go a year with no noise and suddenly it's making it after being serviced.

13. 1mean06

1mean06 Member

City, State:
      Moyock, Nc
      Year and Model:
      '06 XLT
      I have the same sound too I had it ever sense I put AEM universal intake on now I have KKM and its not as bad.... tell yourself that its the turbo spooling up lol

14. djaphet

djaphet New Member

City, State:
      olympia
      Year and Model:
      91 ranger
      I have a 91 ranger all stock and I have the same whistle sound from 10 mph on up. It does sound like a turbo an aweful lot. any help would be greatly appreciated.

15. Brillig

Brillig New Member

City, State:
      Long Beach, CA
      Year and Model:
      2008 XLT 4.0L 4x4
      Wow, I'm actually really relieved to hear that others have the whistling noise. I thought it was just me. I have an '08 4.0L, completely stock. It makes a really annoying whistle when accelerating at engine speeds of ~2k to 2.5k. I took it to the dealer a couple times. They were convinced it was the transmission and took the whole thing apart twice, but it didn't change at all. Fortunately it was all covered by the powertrain warranty, and they even gave me a rental car. It was still really frustrating to drive off the lot after they "fixed it" and hear that whistle as soon as I pulled onto the street. After the second time, they just told me the noise was "normal" for that truck. I did get a new torque converter and a completely unnecessary transmission rebuild for free though, so I can't complain about that. So don't let anyone tell you it's the transmission, folks.

An air intake issue makes much more sense. I thought maybe a vacuum leak, but it runs great - no rough idle or anything like that. If it is a vacuum leak, it would have to be very small.

One thing I find really strange, and I would really like to know if anyone else has noticed this, but it seems to change with temperature and/or humidity. It's much more noticeable on cold foggy days than on hot dry days. Is that a useful clue at all? Also, it has got worse over time. I didn't notice it at all when I first bought it a year ago.

16. Silversn95

Silversn95 New Member

City, State:
      Belle River, ON
      Year and Model:
      '06 XLT 4.0L 4X4
      My '06 also has a whistle under partial load in the 1800-2500rpm range. It really sounds like an induction noise, most likely from behind the throttle body. Could be from an air flow issue (mis-match between the throttle body bore and the intake flange or an air leak somewhere in the intake, seals or hose connections maybe. I haven't looked into it yet but I will ask by Ford engineering buddy if he knows about this issue.

17. noeloel

noeloel New Member

Year and Model:
      '07 EXT 4x4
      I brought my '07 Explorer in as well and I've had a bunch of transmission problems "due to the sound." When I got my car back, they told me that the noise was normal. It's quite irritating. I've brought it to another dealership as well and they can't figure out what is wrong. Same symptoms, usually happens around 2500 RPM. I really can't stand hearing that sound, makes the car seem so unrefined. If anyone has a solution please help! I have also noticed about the temp. changes and yes my problem does get worse depending on the weather conditions.

18. OZ4x4

OZ4x4 New Member

City, State:
      Metro Detroit, MI
      Year and Model:
      2006 XLT V6
      I have an '06....I just take it as a performance sound...lol

19. tabezic

tabezic Active Member

City, State:
      Shelby twp. Michigan
      Year and Model:
      02 mountaineer v8
      ya, if it sounds like a turbo or a procharger, i would just go with it. haha

20. NHarris

NHarris Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Gillette, Wyoming
      Year and Model:
      04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
      My 05 with a CAI does that whistle, but the inhaling is louder now. I just tell myself its the sound of a turbo. When I had my Spectre Intake a whistle was much more prominent, but I don't really care not likes its too annoying, IMO.

21. Crash71

Crash71 New Member

City, State:
      Aberdeen, NJ
      Year and Model:
      '06 XLT
      Thank God I found this thread! I have the same damn problem. 2006 XLT 4.0 4x4. I can't tell you how many garages I have been to and had mechanics listen, taken them for rides and most of them say they can't hear it. Not sure how you can be a mechanic and not have a keen sense of hearing, but anyway. It's exactly the same as everyone posts here...when I'm on the throttle moderately between 1500-2500 rpm and it sounds very much like a turbo, just with none of the power! Ha. I thought it was a vacuum situation as well, but not noticing any of the other performance issues that would go along with a vacuum leak. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let's find a solution to this issue. I'll check back and definitely let you know if I come across anything.

22. ahent

ahent New Member

City, State:
      Johnston, IA
      Year and Model:
      '07 XLT
      Ok, so I had an issue with my throttle body on my '07 Explorer. It was not idling correctly when the air conditioning was on. So I get it back and the whistling is still there, but it's a higher pitch (not much just slightly) but still there. So I would assume it is something to do with the throttle body itself otherwise the change of throttle body wouldn't have changed the sound (all other parts are the same). So, that brings me back to what I thought a while ago, would putting something such as "the Tornado" change the airflow through the throttle body enough to eliminate the noise? Oh well, just thought I would post more info.

23. SirManny

SirManny Member

City, State:
      Phoenix, AZ
      Year and Model:
      07 Mountaineer PremierAWD
      I have a 07 Mercury Mountaineer Premier AWD with 79xxx miles on it completely stock. My truck just started making that whistling sound on Tuesday well at least thats when I noticed it. I noticed that if Im sitting still and Im in my garage or near a wall that amplifies the sound that pitch of the sound changes as I go from P, R, N, D, 2 and 1. So I figured transmission so as with Fords ill fated design you cant check the trans yourself to see if its low on fluid and the dealer wanted $57 just to check it. I took it to Aamco where they checked the fluid level with the special tool for free. The fluid level checked out fine and is clean. The mechanic didnt orginally hear the noise until he turned my truck on and went to back it out of the bay. He started to diagnose the sound but assured me it wasnt coming from the transmission and sent me on my way after an hour and couldnt pinpoint the sound. I then took it to another trans shop where when I explained to the service writer who happened to be a former Ford Master Tech told me that on the 4.0s they have an issue with the throttle body and the pcv valve but its on the back side of the motor being dirty/clogged and damaged. They cleaned my throttle body and replaced the pcv which was only around $64 plus labor and my whistle is gone.

Last edited: November 19, 2010
    24. FlyboyZR1

FlyboyZR1 New Member

I've got this same whistling noise on my Ford Ranger 4.0 XLT. It's only when the engine is under a load, and is present when the throttle is about 1/2 open. It's very high pitched, but not very loud. It seems to have appeared after I cleaned the throttle body?

Has anyone else ever cleaned their throttle bodies with throttle body/carb cleaner. I guess that can remove the teflon coating which can cause a whistling noise present during acceleration:

http://www.ozmazdaclub.com/forums/6...-read-before-cleaning-your-throttle-body.html

25. Silversn95

Silversn95 New Member

City, State:
      Belle River, ON
      Year and Model:
      '06 XLT 4.0L 4X4
      I had some time a couple weekends ago so I took the clean air duct off and removed the throttle body. Behind the throttle body is a diffuser (for lack of a better term) plate with vertical fins. I removed this and cleaned everything. The plate is there to actually attempt to prevent induction noises as air flows past the blade. If I remember correctly, the bore of the throttle body has a larger diameter than the bore on the intake. The plate steps down the diameter between the two. If there is significant missmatch between these parts you can get a whistle. I tried to bias the throttlebody high on the flange when I bolted everything back up to see if it would make a difference. There isn't much you can do without modifying the plate as it has alignment pins that locate it to the manifold. Since doing this I have heard a change in pitch from this whistle but it is still there. A couple other observations: there are multiple secondary air entry points just behind the throttle body flange, these always present the potential to create whistle noises. The EGR tube also protrudes into the air flow, an edge on this tube could also be cause for noise. I also found a step between the welded shells of the intake on the floor of the ziptube (length of manifold air duct before reaching the plenum). A raised edge like this might also be a noise source. I plan to work on this when the weather warms back up but I am convinced this is induction air flow noise and nothing more serious.

26. Sams01XplrSprt

Sams01XplrSprt Southern Cali Explorer

City, State:
      Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
      Year and Model:
      2001 Sport (sold)
      2006 u got sound clip of ur dual exhaust