• Register Today It's free!

Air suspension

Mjkrs2k

Reaction score
City, State
Stafford
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 1998
Hi all I'm a newbie. I have a 4.0 gen two. My question is my truck is just a bit lopsided on the drivers side. Someone said this could be the the air suspension causing this. I have heard the pump running off and on. But when it runs nothing seems to happen no rise. But it run for 30secs then stops. Any ideas

Some things to check
Underneath there should be a ride height sensor attached to the boot floor at one end and the axle at the other. Its approximately in the middle but just to one side of the diff. It has ball joint on each end either of which can pop off when worn.

Check the air lines aren't chafed anywhere and they are seated properly in the shocks. They are just push fit.

Check the state of the rear shackles (the bit that attaches the rear of the springs to the underside of the body) as these can rust quite badly. Also check the bottom plate that the shocks are attached to as i have seen some of those severely corroded and bent.

Lastly if all those look ok then do a reset
1) Turn off the ARC (switch behind n/s panel in the boot)
2) Jack up the rear
3) let the wheels hang for a few minutes
4) Make sure all the doors and windows are closed then lower the truck back to the ground.
5) switch ARC back on then shut boot
6)pump should kick in but if it doesn't you can stand on the rear bumper you may need to turn the ignition on then off but i can't remember.

Off course everything with the ARC could be all OK and you could just have a sagged spring.

Back