Airaid TBS spacer & Volant Cold Air Kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Airaid TBS spacer & Volant Cold Air Kit

tbirdman

Reaction score
City, State
Sask- Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4 4.0 SOHC
Just curious if anyone has tried out the Volant Cold Air kit on a 2000 4.0 L SOHC motor ? I just received mine last week and will be installing it when the AirAid TBS spacer arrives. I know- there is a lot of controversy over the AIrAId TBS spacer -whether it works or not. The owner of a local tune up & performance shop demo'd his to me on his 99 Jimmy 4.3 L Vortec 4 X 4. It definitely builds power on this set up and with a Hypertech power tuner- he insists on better mileage and more power - on regular 89 fuel. ( He had dyno results to back up the before and after to show me but I didn't get around to viewing them as it was lunch hour). Any way- whether or not the AirAid works is - I suppose- a matter of opinion. I 'm interested in hearing others experience with this product and with the Volant cold air kit. Whether you feel it works , doesn't work or noticed no change- thats ok. Just like to hear from others on this. Thanks for your thoughts on these products and look forward to hearing from you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

spacer

hey i had a throttle body spacer on my explorer before i installed my volant air intake and i had to remove it becuase the volant intake is tite already without the spacer so i dont think it will fit.
-ben

TBS is ineffective on Explorers. Bamachips proved as much during a recent dyno session. Ditch it.

The Volant is a great setup. I have it on my 2000 Sport, same engine. It is a tight fit. A piece of plastic snake oil is definitely going to make the Volant not fit. That would be a shame.

Celly - thanks for the heads up on the AirAId spacer & Volant tight fit. This is the kind of info I needed. I appreciate your insight. Now tell me- how do you like the Volant kit ? I am in the process of prepping to install. One more question- are you running stock MAF? I have a service replacement MAF from Ford ( an exchange deal on a used part -so I bought this new rebuilt). Now- is this your set up as well- stock MAF with the Volant kit ?

Heyitsben5- I appreciate the info on the tight fit with the Volant kit. I will be definitely be holding off on the spacer and use just the Volant for now. I have one further question- are you ruinning the stock MAF or using an aftermarket MAF ( like Pro-M or ? ) JUst looking for info on what might be the best set up. Thanks.

tbirdman said:
I have one further question- are you ruinning the stock MAF or using an aftermarket MAF ( like Pro-M or ? ) JUst looking for info on what might be the best set up. Thanks.

The best performing ( based on a dyno test ) MAF for my SOHC was the C&L MAF.

BamaChips ( http://www.bamachips.com/ ) is a dealer, contact Doug for details.

Good luck ....

Aldive- thanks for the tip on the C & L MAF. I will check the link out and have a good look . Thanks again.

tbirdman- im jsut using my stock setup and it seems to work fine but i have never tried any other maf so i couldn't tell you any diffenrence.

tbirdman said:
Celly - thanks for the heads up on the AirAId spacer & Volant tight fit. This is the kind of info I needed. I appreciate your insight. Now tell me- how do you like the Volant kit ? I am in the process of prepping to install. One more question- are you running stock MAF? I have a service replacement MAF from Ford ( an exchange deal on a used part -so I bought this new rebuilt). Now- is this your set up as well- stock MAF with the Volant kit ?

I have a stock MAF. There is a neverending debate about the effectiveness of aftermarket MAF units. No one has convinced me that anything is better than an OEM MAF.

I like the Volant set up a lot. I had a MAC setup and it wasn't as "finished" as the Volant. Unlkely there is a performance gain of one over the other, but my Ex runs better than the Volant, mostly because the IAC hose connection is so much better with the Volant for me. I could never get a good seal. Probably could have if I've made the hole a bit bigger. I didn't much care for the chrome tube with the MAC. The Volant looks much better under MY hood.

celly said:
I have a stock MAF. There is a neverending debate about the effectiveness of aftermarket MAF units. No one has convinced me that anything is better than an OEM MAF.

The dyno not only convinced me but proved that the Pro-M made less power than my stock MAF but the C & L MAF made more power.

Have you tried other MAFs on your truck?

aldive said:
The dyno not only convinced me but proved that the Pro-M made less power than my stock MAF but the C & L MAF made more power.

Have you tried other MAFs on your truck?

Nope. I was going to waste my money on a Granatelli or a Pro-M several months ago and Doug told me not to bother and I'm glad he talked me out of it. Never heard of C&L at that point, but I still have no desire to spend money on a new MAF. I'm very satisfied with the performance of my Ex as it is. The law of diminishing returns definitely comes into play with the types of mods most people do on this site.

Go nuts, Al. You're the guy that swore that a TBS gave power, so if you're dealing with something dyno-proven, you're in for a real treat and will probably get another 5 mpg to boot. ;)

celly said:
Nope. I was going to waste my money on a Granatelli or a Pro-M several months ago and Doug told me not to bother and I'm glad he talked me out of it. Never heard of C&L at that point, but I still have no desire to spend money on a new MAF. I'm very satisfied with the performance of my Ex as it is. The law of diminishing returns definitely comes into play with the types of mods most people do on this site.

Go nuts, Al. You're the guy that swore that a TBS gave power, so if you're dealing with something dyno-proven, you're in for a real treat and will probably get another 5 mpg to boot. ;)

Hello Celly- I wanted to ask you a further question concerning the Volant Kit on your 2000 sport. I have a Volant Kit # 19640 but received no install instructions or even a parts list. I have emailed Volant but had no response from them . IS this the same kit you have ? If so- what kind of tricks or install tips would you have for me ? I am trying to get through to tech support at Volant but still have had no luck.If you have any advice - it would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't remember the part # for my kit. I think the website tells you. Sorry I can't help more. Search around the site. I think the correct model # is listed somewhere. I had no instructions either. You'll figure it out. I did, and I'm a mental midget when it comes to mechanics.

I have a volant for my OHV, I got no instructions either.....when I emailed them they said there ARE no instructions, the best they could do was a schematic in a .pdf file, which was practically useless. :banghead:

LOL, it's strange that a company would produce a product and have no instructions for it! :confused:

I'm pretty sure 19640 is the one you want, mine is 19740 IIRC....but I may be wrong, it's still sitting in the box :rolleyes:

Back