1. Tip... Did you know that if you hold most smartphones sideways you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum?
    Dismiss Notice

for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Airbag error code 34

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Plowy, July 21, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Plowy

Plowy New Member

Year and Model:
      2000 xl
      Hi All
      My '99 explorer has just been at the workshop because it was winding over but would'nt start. After 6 hours labour cost to find the problem , it turned out to be a $10.50 Aus. relay. Car is starting great now but while it was there the airbag light came on , they were getting an error code 34 and got the Auto Electrician to look at it . He said it would need to go to a Ford dealership to figure out exactly why this was happening. When I start the car the light flashes 3 times , pauses , then flashes 6 times, pauses, and repeats this several times till it stops and just stays illuminated. Does anyone have an idea why this is happening?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. gijoecam

gijoecam Village Idiot Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Trenton, MI
      Year and Model:
      98 ExSport, '00 F-150
      Is it code 34 or code 36? Which is it flashing?

4. Plowy

Plowy New Member

Year and Model:
      2000 xl
      The mechanic who scanned it said it was code 34, but that's as far as he could go and Ford would need to investigate it further. The light on the dash is flashing in the sequence as I've said , not knowing much about it ,I can only repeat what they've told me and what the light is doing.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers

5. TheJackal

TheJackal Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Mandeville, LA
      Year and Model:
      1999 Explorer XL 2WD
      Nevermind, I got it wrong. I wondered why they'd have codes for the same thing.

Code 34 is Driver Air Bag Circuit Resistance too low. This means that the wires going to the driver's airbag are somehow shorted together. The most common place for this is the clockspring.

Code 36 is Driver Side (the one in the seat) Air Bag Circuit Resistance too low or too high. Same thing, except this doesn't go thru the clockspring.

Either way, you should be extremely careful with airbags--disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes before disconnecting airbag wiring.

6. Plowy

Plowy New Member

Year and Model:
      2000 xl
      Thanks Mate

Will check it out on the weekend with a mate who's a bit more savvy. The mechanics may have disrupted something there when they were looking for the no starting problem