Airbag light | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Airbag light

Help: does anyone know if the airbag(s) are somehow disabled if the LFC is displayed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the post, however, it is a few years late; we identified the 3 7 code back in 2004( posted earlier in this thread ).

Unplugging and reattaching the yellow cap does nothing to resolve the 3 7 code for me now. I have even replaced the yellow caps several times with new ones and still have the code.

I was struggling with this code and the 36 code myself with my 99 EB explorer and thus started reading every thing I can find including an older manual for Ford airbag systems. Today I removed the side panel on the passenger side to expose and see the restrain control module. There is a crash sensor and a safing sensor on the right side just behind the door. I disconnected the battery and unpluged the two connectors from RCM, blow air in them and dismounted the crash sensor. I heared some rattel inside. I tilted it so the indside ball is atracted to the magnet and then pushed the red like botton.

I assmebled every thing back and started the car and the flashing light is gone. The airbag light came on as usual and stayed on for few seconds and then off. I hope this would clear the problem but will report if it did not.

Thanks for the post, however, it is a few years late; we identified the 3 7 code back in 2004( posted earlier in this thread ).

Unplugging and reattaching the yellow cap does nothing to resolve the 3 7 code for me now. I have even replaced the yellow caps several times with new ones and still have the code.

Friend,

Now I can tell you with confidence that code 37 is the result of the passenger side air bag substitute resistor (the yellow one under the passenger seat).

Today I have the chance to borrow a scanner from a friend and analyze the problem. First, the scanner gave code B1998 which is "Passenger side airbag circuit resistance is high". I though there may be an intermittent open circuit so I decided to check close to the plug going to the Restrain module.

I disconnected the battery and waited for few minutes then I unplugged the smaller connector. I cut the two wires, Brown/Yellow and White/Yellow. I measured the resistance and found it to be 9.6 ohms (the ohmmeter leads’s resistance is 0.2 ohms).

I unplugged the resistor under the driver side and measured the resistance and found it 6.9 ohms and became suspicious. I need to say that I bought that vehicle about 6 months ago and it had the airbag problem then and do not know much about its history.

I decided to simulate the driver side resistor, so, I brought two 10 ohms resistors and connected them in parallel (twisted the two ends together) and that gave me 5.1 ohms (may be close enough!!!). I connected the combined resistors to the wires going to the plug and plugged the connector and connected the battery.

When I scanned again, I got the code B1999 which is "Passenger side airbag circuit resistance low". So I figured it was looking for a 6.9 ohms.

I brought three 22 ohms and connected them in parallel and that gave me 7.6 ohms and used them to replace the 5.1 ohms I tried before and then scanned.

WOW. No more errors. No more flashing just the regular ON for few seconds and OFF. I turned the vehicle on and off several times and no code is generated.

Conclusion, it was the resistor (yellow plug) under the passenger seat and it needs to match the one under the driver seat. In my case (99 explorer Eddie Bauer, 4.0L) the resistance is 6.9 Ohms.

Hope this will help someone to diagnose his Airbag code 37 problem.

Note: I did not replace the under seat resistor, I left my three parallel 22 ohms resistors in place and isolated them well.

Interesting, I have a code 36, it's been there since I ran the truck in January. My Ford mechanic told me that the dash airbag needs to be 2.1 ohms, and he figured the seat units to be the same. I have had 2.2 ohm resistors in those in mine with no change. It would be good to know that just the resistance is the problem. Thanks for the help,

From my readings in an older Ford Airbag manual, the restrining module has nothing to do with the deployment of the airbag, it only monitors the state of the sensors and the airbags. The crash sensors are connected in parallel and is in series with the safing sensors and then in series again with corresponding airbag (driver or passenger). The restraining module provides backup power in the form of a charged capacitor in case the battery gets damaged in a crash.

Regarding code 37 and since it is related to the side airbag that you do not have, I would say that it will have no effect of the operation of the system in the case of a crash.

See my other posting to find how I diagnosed code 37 and solved its problem. Hope this will help.

Why do you suspose that replacing the yellow under seat plugs would not resolve the problem?

The damn dash ligh is driving me nuts.

Thanks for the info.

Why do you suspose that replacing the yellow under seat plugs would not resolve the problem?

The damn dash ligh is driving me nuts.

Thanks for the info.

You need to replace it with the right resistor. Check the driver side and get a matching resistor or make one like I did. Do you have an ohmmeter?

You need to replace it with the right resistor. Check the driver side and get a matching resistor or make one like I did. Do you have an ohmmeter?

The yellow plug assembly is a FORD part. Wouldn't that have the proper resistance?

I didn't know that those plugs were resistors until just recently. I need to at least try them, they are still on my unused 99 Limited seats.

The yellow plug assembly is a FORD part. Wouldn't that have the proper resistance?

Measure the resistance and make sure it matches that of the driver side. I am sure Ford makes many different designs.

Match the part number between the two sides. Also, you can swap the two resistors and see if the code change.

Measure the resistance and make sure it matches that of the driver side. I am sure Ford makes many different designs.

Match the part number between the two sides. Also, you can swap the two resistors and see if the code change.

Ford only has one part number for the yellow plug.

I have swapped sides and have used 4 new plugs with no luck.

Do the resistors go "bad"? Why would the dash light illuminate at random times?

I am not sure where to test the resistance?????

Ford only has one part number for the yellow plug.

I have swapped sides and have used 4 new plugs with no luck.

Do the resistors go "bad"? Why would the dash light illuminate at random times?

I am not sure where to test the resistance?????

When you unplug the wires going to the yellow plug you will see the two terminals for the resitance. Resistors hardly change their value with time. If the problem is itermittent I would suggest trying to connect a resistor close to the plug as I did.

When you unplug the wires going to the yellow plug you will see the two terminals for the resitance. Resistors hardly change their value with time. If the problem is itermittent I would suggest trying to connect a resistor close to the plug as I did.

Post a picture of your setup please.

Test the resistance at the module to rule out the possibility of bad wiring, faulty connections, or bad resistors. The procedure would be similar to pulling a PCM, and using a break out box. The only difference would be that you are pulling the air bag module to test everything from there. Disconnect the battery, wait a minimum of ten minutes for the internal battery inside the module to discharge, then pull the module, and break out the ohm meter.

I had checked mine at the module before installing my resistors, but I was looking for a low value like 2 ohms. I'll get out and do some checking with mine tomorrow, thanks for the new ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tested the resistance in the yellow plugs today:

driver's side - 7.1
passenger side - 7.0

brand new one - 7.0

Back