and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Airbag sensor location

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Popeye1959, April 13, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Popeye1959

Popeye1959 Active Member

Year and Model:
      '03 Silverado LS
      Anyone know where the airbag sensor is located on an '03 Explorer Sport XLT? Idiot light is throwing a 24 code and my neighbor (with a Ranger PU), had a similar issue and said the Ford tech just disassembled the connector, cleaned it and put some dielectric grease on it. Hope that's my problem and not a bad sensor.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Popeye1959

Popeye1959 Active Member

Year and Model:
      '03 Silverado LS
      I suppose I could just pull the fuse and start disassembling any and all connectors I find and clean them up and hope I accidentally find it.

4. Popeye1959

Popeye1959 Active Member

Year and Model:
      '03 Silverado LS
      I found 1 sensor in front of the radiator just a tad on the diver's side that had one terminal completely corroded off. Of course you can't buy any airbag parts at your local autozone to know if this is the right sensor or if there is something else not working.

5. Popeye1959

Popeye1959 Active Member

Year and Model:
      '03 Silverado LS
      Yup, it's an airbag sensor all right. Googled the part number 1X4A-14B006-AD and it comes up as an airbag sensor. Hopefully the Ford Dealer will have one in stock. Guess I'll leave the fuse out until I replace the sensor for now.

Sensor is cracked near the bolt hole:

[​IMG]

Looking into the plug opening. One prong here and one on the plug. I guess that means it's half right:

[​IMG]

Doesn't look like it was very water-tight. It will be when I get done with it.

6. Popeye1959

Popeye1959 Active Member

Year and Model:
      '03 Silverado LS
      Well, I got the air bag sensor, $63.00 for that and $32 for the pigtail wiring harness. Installed them tonite and thankfully the light stayed off. Looks like things are working the way they are supposed to.

7. tankman67

tankman67 New Member

City, State:
      PA
      Year and Model:
      2002 Ford Explorer
      Great post! Probably would've saved me some time had I seen it sooner. I found the same exact thing after troubleshooting FLC 42=LH Primary Crash Sensor Feed/Return Circuit Open. I suspect this is my problem since the sensor pretty much came off in two pieces.

Where'd you get yours, a dealer? Mine wants $92.21 for the part.

[​IMG]

8. Popeye1959

Popeye1959 Active Member

Year and Model:
      '03 Silverado LS
      I got both parts from my local Ford dealer for the prices I listed. Of course that was April prices, but can't see them going up that much. Sure that isn't priced with the pigtail? Your's is a different part number too so who knows. All the local parts houses said it is a dealer only item unless you want to take your chances with a salvage yard part.

9. tankman67

tankman67 New Member

City, State:
      PA
      Year and Model:
      2002 Ford Explorer
      Thanks for the quick reply. That might include the pigtail too, I'm not sure. I'm gonna try picking it up tomorrow (if they're open). I figure anything at the salvage yard probably looks similar, given the poor design placement of the sensor.