All of the wiring fun....

B2MountainMahcine

Reaction score
City, State
Bountiful, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Ford Bronco II
Hello,

I'm currently in the process of a 4.0 swap into a 1989 Ford Bronco II.
Here is the current component/wiring origin info:
1989 Bronco II 2.9 A/T
- Stock Frame wiring utilized (From engine bay to rear lights, fuel pump, ABS module, Tcase, & rear diff)

1993 Ford Explorer 4.0 M/T
- Engine/Trans/Tcase
- Engine Harness
- Headlight Harness
- ECM

1994 Ford Explorer 4.0 M/T
- All dash board internal wiring used

There are a few systems that I have elected not to use:
- ABS (eliminating all VSS wires as well as the ABS module on the frame (B2) and in the engine bay (Exp)
- Cruise control
- Factory stereo wiring (eliminating the need for the factory Exp amp & wiring)

As of right now the truck runs and drives very well but I have some pretty nasty wiring issues.
- I have no tail lights, brake lights, or rear turn signals (I suspect this has to do with using the factory B2 frame wiring because I know that the Explorers run this harness inside of the body instead of going through the BWP (big white plug) and along the frame)
- My reverse lights are always on when the truck is running but not when only the key is on
- The tachometer and voltage gauge are both unresponsive
- The fuel gauge is receiving voltage but shows as 1/4 past full with 5 gallons of fuel in the tank
- The stereo does not have power unless I turn the blower motor speed switch to off, then the stereo gains power as does the door chime
- My brights indicator is on whenever the low beams are on and is off when I turn the high beams on
- The aforementioned blower motor and the rest of the A/C head unit are completely unresponsive

On the bright side, at least the exciter circuit for the alternator works... Apparently that's an issue that a lot of people face in this swap so at least I didn't lose in all fields.

My biggest suspicion for all of my dash issues is that the pinout for the BWP changed between 1993 & 1994 but I cannot seem to find a pinout for either year (even in AllData).
Does anybody have any experience with this or some pinouts that I can use?

I will be starting the process of tracing things manuall this afternoon but I would love some additional info if its available.

Thanks in advance!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I should note that all factory grounds have been verified at less than 1 ohm resistance to the battery so I doubt grounding issues (which was my first thought) but I will still be adding some extra grounds just in case.

I know crap about wiring, but I know people have done this swap on this board before. If you haven't already, search back through the BII section. Also search for a build thread by 410fortune, he swapped a 4.0 into his BII, then swappd to a 5.0. I remember a lot of wiring harness talk in there. This was maybe ten or more years ago. His thread may be located in the Offroad projects section.
Also, there's the ranger station, if you haven't looked in their tech library yet: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4L_Conversion_faqs.shtml

I have done quite a bit of searching but everything I've found details the wiring changes necessary to use the Bronco's headlight harness. I can't find anybody who has utilized the headlight harness from the donor as well as a dash from another year explorer.

I have fixed the lighting issues (with exception of the brights indicator).
The fuel gauge has also been corrected. Now the I am only having issues with the dash illumination, tach gauge, ac head unit (no function), and the volt gauge, which works unless the headlights are on. It the headlight are on, it pegs to the left of the gauge.

Bump - Anybody have pinouts for the BWP on a 1993 & 1994 Explorer?
I'm really not digging the idea of tracing down every wire between the two... It doesn't sound like a good Saturday.

If you can tell me what BWP stands for, I might be able to help. I have some 94 wiring diagrams, but I'm not exactly Mr. Electrical, so you might have to guide me as to what you need.

Rhett, BWP stands for 'Big White Plug' It's the round plug that goes through the firewall near the driver's feet and connects the dash harness to the headlight harness that surrounds the engine bay.

BKennedy, thank you for the link. I will likely get one of these on order for both years of my donors.
Do these books contain pinouts as well?

Rhett, BWP stands for 'Big White Plug' It's the round plug that goes through the firewall near the driver's feet and connects the dash harness to the headlight harness that surrounds the engine bay.

Oh THAT thing. Yes I am familiar with it. I'll see if my wiring diagrams have a pinout on it.

I took this pic out of my 94 Explorer Truck Wiring Diagrams, which was a Ford publication. I assume it's accurate, but I can't vouch for it, as I did not get out there and compare every wire on my '94 with this chart. I'll post the pic, then I'll post what each numbered wire is according to the manual.

94_Pinout.JPG

BWP (Big White Plug) pinouts - Referring to the 1994 Explorer wiring guide *picture* above.
(sorry for the formatting, can't figure out how to make columns)

Wire# Color Circuit
1 Red-White Temp Gauge to Temp Sending unit
2 Yellow-White Fuel Gauge to Fuel Gauge sender
3 White-Lt Blue Front Right Turn signal
4 Tan-Lt Green Anti Theft System switch feed
5 Lt Green-White Front Left Turn signal
6 Red Windshield Wiper Switch to Windshield Wiper motor
7 Purple-Orange Fused Run Only feed
8 Lt green Stoplamp switch to stoplamps
9 Dk Green-Lt Grn Shift on the fly 4x4
10 Pink-Lt Green EEC Module to Check Engine Lamp
11 not used
12 Tan-Yellow Ignition Coil negative terminal
13 Tan-Lt green Brake fluid switch to reservoir module
14 Gray-Red sensor signal return
15 not used
16 Black-White washer pump motor feed
17 purple-white dual brake switch indicator lamp
18 lt blue-orange O2 sensor feed - running only
19 not used
20 black-pink Windshield wiper switch to windshield wiper motor
21 dk blue-orange Windshield wiper switch to windshield wiper motor
22 white windshiled wiper switch to windshield wiper motor
23 tan-orange fog lamp switch to fog lamp
24 lt blue-black fog lamp switch to fog lamp relay
25 dark green failure warning light
26 lt blue-pink ABS control module feed
27 lt gray-orange Battery saver lamp feed
28 not used
29 not used
30 pink crank enable relay
31 white-red oil pressure indicator to oil press sending unit
32 light pink oil level relay to oil level sensor
33 not used
34 red-white electric t-case to manual level position sensor
35 lt green-black headlight dimmer switch to high beams
36 gray-white daytime running lamp
37 red-black headlight dimmer switch to low beams
38 lt blue-black brake feed
39 lt green-red igition switch "accessory" to alternator regulator "ign" terminal
40 lt blue-yellow manual level position sensor to EEC module
41 dk blue horn switch control
42 black-pink backup lamp
43 dk blue-yellow thermometer sensor feed
44 lt blue-orange ambient temp sensor to dash
45 orange battery feed to relay controller
46 brown headlamp switch to taillamps and side marker lamps
47 yellow-lt blue horn switch feed
48 black-white circuit breaker to seat latch relay
49 gray-lt blue htd backlite switch to time delay switch relay
50 yellow battery to load
51 brown switch feed
52 dk green power seat power feed
53 red-lt green ign sw to ign coil "batt" terminal

Did you ever solve your wiring problems? I sent you a private message as well...

For anyone that does a search and finds this thread I figured out the problem (at least for me). In Pin 52 there is a dark green wire that feeds power seats. This needs to be a ground. If you put in a wire with a pin and ground it out in the engine bay... problem solved. I have a 90 BII and I had a 92 Ranger donor.

I'm in the process of a 4.0 swap with a 85'B2 and a 92' explorer. Any electrical assistance would be greatly appreciated.

your 92 BWP is different then the 94 BWP pictured above, as I said in your other post you should start your own thread for your conversion, this way all the info needed will be in one place!

Back