All you need to know about keyless entry | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All you need to know about keyless entry

just bought an 01 explorerr sport

so i got the truck with an aftermarket alarm. i used the ignition cyclein 8 times to see if i had a factory alarm and i do bc the door locks went off . my question is what key fobs will work ? what are the numbers on the back can anyone help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

keyless entry

my alarm system acts real funny. i had some issues with my locks and had one replaced. shortly there after my young one with out my knowledge was chewing and sloppering on the keyless entry remote. it stopped working. i replaced the batery, tried the stuff you suggest but when i get the key cycled and leave it in the on possition the alarm goes off like it would if there was a break in. and then the spare valet key doesn't work either
could these be related and is there anything i can do to see if the system is just fried?

This is great. I just bought my Explorer yesterday and was told there was no door key, no fob, and they did not know the entry code. I found the code and I had a few fobs from working at an auto auction. This worked like a charm!!! Thanks a million.

my friend got in my car and got the factory code out of my owners manual and now he is screwing with my car how do i erase the factory code.

Electric locks and windows, no RAP module

My 98 X sport came with one key, electric locks and windows but no RAP module. I looked in the back left compartment where the jack goes...I even took it to the Ford dealer and they confirmed that there was no RAP module. Does anyone know if a RAP module from an X with the same year and model as mine, can be installed?

Easiest way?

The original post in this thread shows the RAP/CSM location for the 2nd Generation 4-door Explorer.

For 2001~2003 Explorer Sport, Sport Trac and Ranger, the CSM module should be located in the dash above the HVAC plenum. You must remove the passenger airbag to access the module. The 5-digit keypad code will be stamped on the module label.

ok, how does one access this without destroying the dash? Dealer here wants $65 just to tell me the damn code. I'm somewhat tool-handy, I have heard from somewhere else its here, but I don't want to have an airbag blow in my face! Advice? Thanks!

I bought my 97 Mountaineer a couple of weeks ago. The previous owner had one fob and no idea of the code for the door. Thanks to this site, I looked in the jack compartment and got it off the module. It works great. Thanks!!!

thanks for the info. work's for me

my friend got in my car and got the factory code out of my owners manual and now he is screwing with my car how do i erase the factory code.

I was told by Ford that you can't change the factory code. You could always get a used module from eBay or a junkyard and swap it, then have a different code altogether.

OEM alarm dip switches

Hello everybody, first time posting here.

Sometime ago I took out the OEM alarm that comes in the explorer 98 opened it up and saw 7 dip swithes inside. Messing around I was able to turn a security feature which activates the alarm after 1 minute what it does it wont let the car start, you turn the switch and nothing happens until you deactivate the alarm.

Does any one know the use of each of the dip switches found in the OEM alarm on the ford explorer 98?

number wont work

so i wanted to add my own code to the keypad because the factory code contains a 1 and the number 1 on the pad has stopped working. Any way to reprogram another code without entering the factory code first, since I can't enter it.
Someone please help, this is a pain in the ass.

Yeah...replace the pad. Problem solved.

On to my issue...

1997 Explorer XLT 5.0L

Sometimes my remote keyfob doesn't work. It won't lock, won't unlock. Panic won't work. Batteries are brand new. It is REALLY starting to bug me....as I use my Unlock button to actually OPEN my door.

I don't have the KeyPad installed yet (custom application in the works), so I don't know if it is REALLY the module in the X, or if it is a failing remote.

Ryan

Replace the keyfob. Problem solved.

Thanks!

I've just found my code and it works! Thanks for the information. It was a bit tight between the trim and the control box, but I just eased the trim away a touch and there it was. Great job and and great forum.

where can I find the computer module which has they keyless entry factory code on an 05 Sport Track?

most ace hardware stores atleast in MN can cut and program a key for these trucks for $75. way less than what the dealer wants or what a mobile car key guy would charge.

I have an 02 XLT and had no problems using keyless entry pad. Alternator went DOA and haven't been able to get it to work since. Lights on pad and courtesy lights come on but number sequence doesn't unlock. Please advise. THX

Hey, I just wanted to say that if your code isn't located in the rear side, then take the defroster grille off. Use a strong light to shine in a small opening above the passanger side. If you look at a horizontal angle, you'll see the code sticker.
I used a putty knife to pull the grille off. It's attached by small clips.

This beats removing the airbag and chancing a smack in the face by it bursting. Then that $35 from the dealer looks like the easier way..

Hope this helps someone.

I have searched this thread as well as others regarding fuse diagrams and cannot locate an answer to these questions:

Is there a fuse which contols the keyless entry pad on the door panel? I couldn't find it on the fuse/relay diagrams in the owners manual. If there is such a thing, does it protect only this keypad, or does it also cover other components?

or;

Is there a way to erase the factory-installed keyless entry code?

There's a reason behind these questions. I am going through a particularly nasty divorce. I have about three weeks before I have to vacate the home I've lived in for 16 years. While I find a new place for my kids and myself to live, I am in a house with a particularly angry soon-to-be-ex-wife.

I am keeping important documents, etc. in my Explorer for now. My stbew has an ignition key to the car, but no door key or remote. She does, however, have the factory entry code, which is what we've always used.

Based on her recent behavior, I wouldn't put it past her to enter the vehicle when I'm not around, and take things. I was hoping I could change the factory code, but that doesn't seem possible. My next best option would be to disable the door keypad, as she doesn't have a door key or a remote. But, I'm afraid disabling that might disable something else I really need.

Any bright ideas? Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have searched this thread as well as others regarding fuse diagrams and cannot locate an answer to these questions:

Is there a fuse which contols the keyless entry pad on the door panel? I couldn't find it on the fuse/relay diagrams in the owners manual. If there is such a thing, does it protect only this keypad, or does it also cover other components?

or;

Is there a way to erase the factory-installed keyless entry code?

There's a reason behind these questions. I am going through a particularly nasty divorce. I have about three weeks before I have to vacate the home I've lived in for 16 years. While I find a new place for my kids and myself to live, I am in a house with a particularly angry soon-to-be-ex-wife.

I am keeping important documents, etc. in my Explorer for now. My stbew has an ignition key to the car, but no door key or remote. She does, however, have the factory entry code, which is what we've always used.

Based on her recent behavior, I wouldn't put it past her to enter the vehicle when I'm not around, and take things. I was hoping I could change the factory code, but that doesn't seem possible. My next best option would be to disable the door keypad, as she doesn't have a door key or a remote. But, I'm afraid disabling that might disable something else I really need.

Any bright ideas? Thanks in advance!

Tell the ***** to stay out of your truck. Assuming it's yours; is it registered to you or her? If it's registered to you and she tries to get in and/or she takes something, call the police and have her arrested.

But it's stories like these that make me afraid of getting married (that's still a longgg way away lol). As for your questions, I don't have a keypad, so I can't really help you. From what I've read there isn't a way to erase the factory code, but I could be wrong. You could try maybe unplugging the keypad, I thought I read about that somewhere. Take off the door panel and see if you can unplug the keypad. Bad part is it won't work at all, but at least the ***** won't have access. :thumbsup:

Back