• Register Today It's free!

Almost got it

Jmanj

Reaction score
City, State
Temple tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ford explorer XLT
A few days ago I replaced my fuel pump. And got my 05 ford explorer XLT running alot better. Fuel filter is fairly a 2 month old. But I'm still having a little sputtering and shaking during acceleration. And a small drop in rpms when a/c turns on. Any idea what can be the cause?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles?

How long was the car running poorly? Could have by now ruined plugs and coils... worst case, some cats.

Start with vacuum, fuel, exhaust.

REALLY need to get a code scanner and view some live data.

How many miles?

How long was the car running poorly? Could have by now ruined plugs and coils... worst case, some cats.

Start with vacuum, fuel, exhaust.

REALLY need to get a code scanner and view some live data.
It has 200,000 miles the plugs I changed a few days ago. It ran a lot better. But its still stalled out. I'm going to stop by an auto shop and get my codes check and I'll post them

Code reading is the first thing you should do before randomly changing parts.

How did you determine the fuel pump needed replacing?

Code reading is the first thing you should do before randomly changing parts.

How did you determine the fuel pump needed replacing?
I took it to a shop and had a pressure gauge out on it. Replaced the fuel pump drive better for a few days and started messing up again. Got my codes... It's two o2 sensors.... EGR valve... And coils... And my 6th cylinder misfires on start up.

if you are going to change coils i would stick with motorcraft, it will cause less headache later on.

if you are going to change coils i would stick with motorcraft, it will cause less headache later on.
Thanks... I been having start up and stalling issues still. On my message center it reads engine Fail-Safe

Did you JUST change the plugs and not wires?

Replace the wires.

Replace the wires.
I've changed everything. It was in the shop for a month n a half. After I've changed all my parts they recheck everything and tell me I need a ecm that 1700 with labor everything comes out to 2000... Do I have to buy a new ecm or can I get a used one and just reprogram it????

You should be able to get a used one. It’d need to be the exact year and drivetrain, though.

I’d take it to another shop. That seems extremely steep.

You should be able to get a used one. It’d need to be the exact year and drivetrain, though.

I’d take it to another shop. That’s seems extremely steep.
I kept asking do I have to get a new one they pleased that a used one wouldn't work at all

I’d surely go somewhere else. Sounds like they don’t have the know how, or ability to make it work. Or, they just want to rip you off.

I’d surely go somewhere else. Sounds like they don’t have the know how, or ability to make it work. Or, they just want to rip you off.
I will be going elsewhere

Did anyone specify what engine the 4.0 or the 4.6 engine?

Back