Alternator removal and replacement on a SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternator removal and replacement on a SOHC

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
The alternator on my ’99 SOHC finally decided to give up the ghost at 112k miles.

I picked up a rebuilt 130 amp alternator at Advanced Auto Parts. The cost was $154.88 with a core charge of $75.00.

To remove the alternator, first disconnect the negative battery cable. The next step is to remove the intake tube and its ancillary hoses to gain access to the alternator. The next step is to remove the serpentine belt from the alternator pulley. The next step is to disconnect the wiring harness from the voltage regulator. This is followed by the removal of the nut securing the B + wire. Remove the two bolts and one nut that secure the alternator and lift out the alternator. The ¼” air ratchet speed things along nicely.

The installation of the new alternator is simply the reverse of the removal procedure.

The truck was cranked and the volt meter monitored. A display of 14.0 volts at idle is a welcomed sight.

The installation took less than 15 minutes. It took longer to go to the auto parts store ( 3 miles away ) than to do the removal/replacement.

Attachments

• old in place.jpg
    old in place.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 3,279
  • old nuts wires 2.jpg
    old nuts wires 2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 3,238
  • new alternator.jpg
    new alternator.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 3,246

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More pictures ....

Attachments

• new in place.jpg
    new in place.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 10,747
  • new installed.jpg
    new installed.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 3,160
  • gauge.jpg
    gauge.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 3,159

Yeah an X alt is really easy to do. It's the same for a 1st gen too. I got my 200 amp in about the same time.

Sorry that it cost so much. Problem solved, that's the important thing.

What brand of gauges are those, I will be wanting a trans temp and water temp gauges for sure. Regards,

That is what I would have guessed. I had used the first ones that came out, and they were inaccurate. I like the blue better than red also.

Can pods be had to hold three gauges, I prefer to have a voltmeter as a third choice?

CDW6212R said:
That is what I would have guessed. I had used the first ones that came out, and they were inaccurate. I like the blue better than red also.

Can pods be had to hold three gauges, I prefer to have a voltmeter as a third choice?

Yes, a three gauge pod is available.

There is a triple gauge pod for an Explorer?!??! Never seen it. Where can I get it? :)

Anybody knows, if a triple gauge pod for an F150 will fit the Explorer (95-97)?

Thanks

Quakecom

Al, I would have painted that thing red before I installed it.
That would have looked baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

BeauJ said:
Yea, stock ones are somewhere around that if not 130

i had just heard that(atleast with 1 gens) the limiteds got 130s and the others got 110s or somthing..i'm not sure :D guess i should do a search :cool:

great post Al. much appreciated.

My alternator ishas started to fail. Its putting out low voltage until about 2k RPMs.

I have ordered a new 200 Amp alternator; it should arrive any day.

paint it red...

:D :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 2,824

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Step 1: Remove negative battery cable.

Something I didn't do, haha. Boy did I get a surprise. Wasn't really thinking there. :mrgreen:

The red powerdercoat ones look pretty sweet. Where did your order it from?

edit: my bad, found your other thread.

Back