1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Alternator replacement

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2018 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Payok, July 8, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Payok

Payok New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2011 xlt explorer
      I have a 2011 XLT Explorer and the alternator is bad, need to know how to get to it, from above or below to get it out and replace it. Thanks.

2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Welcome to this forum! Most of the time it's not the whole alternator, but just the brushes. Get a Haynes or Chilton manual for a step by step removal & installation guide. The brushes went in my 1995 van on Friday, and I replaced the brushes for a few dollars.

Last edited: July 9, 2015
    4. dco43054

dco43054 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      cmh
      16 XLT
      I think this is the first alternator replacement I've heard of. Have you had it tested and it was found bad? I had the original battery go bad about 14 months ago.

I think Autozone or Advance offers how to guides on their websites. Never used one, but I've seen one of those two offer them for at least some repairs.

5. BandwagonJumper

BandwagonJumper New Member

City, State:
      Raleigh, NC
      2016 Limited 4WD
      Bumping an old thread - Mods - if that is bad etiquette, please advise.

I have 2016 and appear to have a bad alternator as well. It's in a terrible location. Anyone replaced theirs yet? On the 3.5 V6, it's in the front, above the AC compressor, and there's definitely too much in the way over top of it - appears that I'll have to remove one of the cooling fans and maybe a coolant hose in order to make room to lift it up and out.

6. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Not a problem at all. That it the way the Forum works. If you have an issue that has already been discussed just add to it rather than starting a new thread.

Peter

7. SinXLT

SinXLT New Member

City, State:
      North of the Frozen Tundra
      2013 Ford Explorer XLT
      The cooling fan motor and shroud has to be taken off. Also the RH fender splash shield.

8. BandwagonJumper

BandwagonJumper New Member

City, State:
      Raleigh, NC
      2016 Limited 4WD
      Thanks for the replies! Job is done. Sad that I had to replace the alternator on a '16 with 36,200 miles on it (yes, less than a tank of gas out of warranty). They sure did not skimp on the number of fasteners in that fender splash shield. 3 - 8mm bolts under the front, 7 - smaller hex headed screws, and a pile of screw headed expansion plugs. I did not have to remove the upper radiator hose, but the entire fan assembly did have to come out to make room to replace the alternator. It's held in with a 15mm bolt on the bottom, and a 15mm nut that threads on to the upper stud (8mm, if I recall correctly) to get the stud removed. It's a small consolation that the fan assembly is held in with only two bolts, it took quite a bit of time to get it all removed and replaced. That did appear to address the problem for me however. Before swapping it out, I was getting Check Charging System warnings and chimes, and the battery light would appear on the left side display. Measured voltage while running was only 11.8 volts max.

Last edited by a moderator: June 19, 2017