Amazing Gas Mileage on 2013 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Amazing Gas Mileage on 2013

...So far I am very happy with my truck and it's fuel economy given my brutal (for fuel economy) driving conditions.
...I had a fresh tank this morning and with my commute, the computer says 23.0, with a highway max of 24.9...Here's the LINK to the Gray Ghost...
...Needless to say. I like my Explorer.
I still can't believe that a 4600 lb SUV is doing this well on the gas...
A big “thanks” to everyone taking the time to share here. :)

I get 15. Ugh.
Lead foot much, DDF? ;)

Seriously though, have you discussed that with your dealer? I’m available to help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to this, please send a PM with your contact info, mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only 500 miles? lol. The Gray Ghost has over 700 already, and will probably have over 800 by tonight. Arg... this car is going to age quickly, more so than we are used to.

VinceL - I know right? I would walk it but I have stuff to carry that would be heavy for that far (one thing for one part of my job is very heavy so it doesn't blow over). Biking would be nice too - maybe next year :)

Up to almost 800miles now - husband took it for a bit yesterday and we were all over creation on Saturday. Enjoying driving the thing around - still not sold on the leather interior but whatever. It is what it is :)

Well, a day trip to Santa Barbara helped bump me up about ~1 mpg to 17.6. Heading to Vegas Wednesday (can you tell I love driving my Ex?) so I'm hoping it will do even better!

Up to almost 800miles now - husband took it for a bit yesterday and we were all over creation on Saturday. Enjoying driving the thing around - still not sold on the leather interior but whatever. It is what it is :)

We're in the same boat on that one. I have never been a big fan of leather. I don't find it as comfortable as cloth and it smells funny (lol).

Everyone looks at me weird when I say that, but hey, I prefer cloth :)

Oh yeah, we are just a few miles short of a thousand now!

We're in the same boat on that one. I have never been a big fan of leather. I don't find it as comfortable as cloth and it smells funny (lol).

Everyone looks at me weird when I say that, but hey, I prefer cloth

Oh yeah, we are just a few miles short of a thousand now!

ME TOO on the leather! I don't like feeling like I"m sliding in my seat. It's ok, I'll get used to it eventually.

About 830 right now :)

At least the seats are cooled. Got to use that the past couple of days and it is nice. Okay trade off I suppose.

996.7 as of pulling into the garage this evening. Ugh! But we have been enjoying driving it around (obviously :))

Averaging 17.9 on this tank so far, bunches of quick trips and basically 95% city type driving. We are happy with that, and with heading down to the museum tomorrow, it should bump up nicely.

Mileage

Last week I rented a 2012 Tahoe for a 2000 mi R/T to NYC from Atlanta. Believe it or not I was averaging between 18-20 mpg on the highway. Very pleasantly surprised and somewhat disappointed in the mpg of the Explorer in comparison. This was an Avis rental LX and I certainly missed all my "goodies" from my Explorer LTD. GM needs to catch up technologically especially with Ford.

Last week I rented a 2012 Tahoe for a 2000 mi R/T to NYC from Atlanta. Believe it or not I was averaging between 18-20 mpg on the highway. Very pleasantly surprised and somewhat disappointed in the mpg of the Explorer in comparison. This was an Avis rental LX and I certainly missed all my "goodies" from my Explorer LTD. GM needs to catch up technologically especially with Ford.

That's about the same MPG as my mom's 2000 Expedition so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise. A 5 mpg difference is quite big when you're only starting off with 20.

Yesterday I had to drive around 250 miles. Most was 60MPH or so...with small town slowdowns, stoplights, and lots of wind. I hit 25.1 on the computer with a light foot (I have checked with a calculator enough times to know it's usually very close).

...Oh yeah, we are just a few miles short of a thousand now!
...About 830 right now :)
VinceL & FordMomof3,

You guys are really putting on the miles. :thumbsup:

...Heading to Vegas Wednesday (can you tell I love driving my Ex?) so I'm hoping it will do even better!
Have a responsible time in Vegas, RoxyGrl! :D

...Very pleasantly surprised and somewhat disappointed in the mpg of the Explorer in comparison. This was an Avis rental LX and I certainly missed all my "goodies" from my Explorer LTD. GM needs to catch up technologically especially with Ford.
Were you in different driving situations, sgparnes?

Yesterday I had to drive around 250 miles. Most was 60MPH or so...with small town slowdowns, stoplights, and lots of wind. I hit 25.1 on the computer with a light foot (I have checked with a calculator enough times to know it's usually very close).
uniquename,

Thanks for sharing; here’s hoping for more good mileage! :dpchug:

Cory

I filled up for the second time today and my combined(50/50) driving seams to have settled in at 19.9 mpg both calculated on car and paper.

I decided to see what a higher octane would do since I have a trip planed on sunday. With a nearly full tank of super on my route, I averaged 24.1 mpg according to the computer. That is highway and city driving with heavy traffic.

I will be playing with how I drive to get the most out of the explorer in mpg. Now it is better no matter what then my 96 ram that avgeraged 12mpg this time of the year.

Don't waste your money on a higher octane. It won't help since the engine is tuned to run on regular.

Not wanting to listen to my brakes helps get better mileage :dpchug:
uniquename,

I reached out to you on another thread. Please send a PM if you’d like me to help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. Be sure to include your contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealer name/state.

...I will be playing with how I drive to get the most out of the explorer in mpg. Now it is better no matter what then my 96 ram that avgeraged 12mpg this time of the year.
I’m eager to see how it goes, Kjeffery. :)

Cory

Don't waste your money on a higher octane. It won't help since the engine is tuned to run on regular.

True, but you never know what will extend your mileage and every little bit counts. With the higher octane, I wanted to see what the difference is. The mileage gain does not negate the higher price.

Now with different brands and formulations, you can get better mileage but not as much as in the past before ethonol replaced the old additives.

Case in point. In the 1980's I worked ina service station. The owner was a Texaco franchise but the could put any brand in his tanks before producers went to branded formulas. When we had exxon in the tanks my chevy got 4 to 5 miles better then Texaco gas. Now the spread in formulation from brand to brand are no longer a factor.

Now with the explorer and the on board computer, you can play with how you drive to get better mpg. Unfortunately extend your miles by any means is here to stay.

One of the reasons I got my Explorer was the balance in power, mpg and cargo capacity vs how I use what I drive. Also included was how much bang I could get for my dollar. Ford may not have highest mpg but they do have the better ballance in what I need. This gives a foundation for getting the mpg up and the cost of operating the car down.

Right now the Explorer is costing me a third to operate fuel wise vs my old truck. I figure i'll save in the neighborhood of 3k in fuel alone. Savings like that is what we can all work for.

Besides the new Explorer just looks good.;)

In my experience, the only time octane makes a difference in modern cars is if it is a turbo. My wife's old car, Subie Forester turbo, would get significantly better mileage when using premium over other formulations, so much so that it was cheaper in the long run to spend extra on premium and get more miles from the tank. I am not sure if direct injected cars can also make use of higher octane fuels...will have to look that up.

I believe that ethanol content in the gas has more to do with mileage variability from tank to tank not attributable to driving (my commute is pretty darn regular, and I average within .5 mpg from tank to tank). Does anybody know how it is decided how much ethanol is put into gas at the pump? It says up to 10%, but how much is really in there? I have gotten some pretty big swings in my mileage on my car at times and have wondered if it is because of ethanol content fluctuations.

As for mileage on the Gray Ghost, we got 18.9 on the last tank. That is with about 80-90% city type driving. The next few tanks will be a lot more representative of my wife's normal driving habits as she goes back to a normal work schedule, so we will have a better point of comparison with her old car. The trip computer has settled in to being about 0.3mpg optimistic, which I don't consider too bad. It was saying that she was getting a little over 25mpg yesterday on her way too from work, unfortunately it drops pretty quickly when getting to the stop and go of surface streets.

Just a quick update. Filled up the EX and this time the mileage was 20.3, which was down 1 mpg. My wife drove it a few times and was in car line at the school running the AC, since it is a little warmer now. The last tank had Mobile gas all the other tanks were Shell. This latest fill up was with a no name brand. I will let you know what the gas mileage is next week. This last week was all city with very little highway. Very pleased with the gas mileage so far. One last thought, I hand calculate the mileage and compare it to the cars computer and the last 2 times both came out the same.

True, but you never know what will extend your mileage and every little bit counts. With the higher octane, I wanted to see what the difference is. The mileage gain does not negate the higher price.

Now with different brands and formulations, you can get better mileage but not as much as in the past before ethonol replaced the old additives.

Case in point. In the 1980's I worked ina service station. The owner was a Texaco franchise but the could put any brand in his tanks before producers went to branded formulas. When we had exxon in the tanks my chevy got 4 to 5 miles better then Texaco gas. Now the spread in formulation from brand to brand are no longer a factor.

Now with the explorer and the on board computer, you can play with how you drive to get better mpg. Unfortunately extend your miles by any means is here to stay.

One of the reasons I got my Explorer was the balance in power, mpg and cargo capacity vs how I use what I drive. Also included was how much bang I could get for my dollar. Ford may not have highest mpg but they do have the better ballance in what I need. This gives a foundation for getting the mpg up and the cost of operating the car down.

Right now the Explorer is costing me a third to operate fuel wise vs my old truck. I figure i'll save in the neighborhood of 3k in fuel alone. Savings like that is what we can all work for.

Besides the new Explorer just looks good.;)

I hear ya. I just wanted to make sure you weren't spending more than you were getting back, but I had a feeling you knew that. ;) :D

Well just got back from a trip on I35. What a nightmare. New car and idiots trying to play bumper tag.

200 mile round trip at 75 mph. Mileage worked out on the computer at 23.1 mpg. By hand it worked out to 25.1 mpg. Outstanding performance and response to emergency action.

The Explorer performed well when I had to dodge a semi shreading his trailer tires.

Unfornately the lady in the new bmw suv next to me was not so lucky. She lost all her tires, shreaded, and the fenders were ripped to heck. She was ok when I managed to help her off the highway but her car was toast. Sad thing was it still had the dear tags. Dps took our statement and the semi license platenumber we got then sent us down the road.

I love this explorer's mileage, apperence and handling.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...The Explorer performed well when I had to dodge a semi shreading his trailer tires...
Kjeffery,

Whoa! I’m really glad you’re OK! :eek:

...As for mileage on the Gray Ghost, we got 18.9 on the last tank. That is with about 80-90% city type driving...
VinceL,

I love reading the chronicles of the Gray Ghost. :D

...Very pleased with the gas mileage so far. One last thought, I hand calculate the mileage and compare it to the cars computer and the last 2 times both came out the same.
That’s awesome, bamacommander; thanks for keeping us updated!

I hear ya. I just wanted to make sure you weren't spending more than you were getting back, but I had a feeling you knew that. ;) :D
willied,

Here’s another reason why this community is so great. :)

Cory

Back