Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Amp keeps blowing fuses

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by flatblackford92, November 24, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. flatblackford92

flatblackford92 New Member

City, State:
      piscataway, nj
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1994 ford explorer
      Hey guys i have a 1994 explorer with an aftermarket system. Pioneer head unit, kenwood 6x8 3 way door speakers, a kenwood kfc 7201 800w amp, and two kenwood kfc-w112s subs. Ive had all this for the past 4 years or so, with the exception of the door speakers i just put in pretty recently. So my amp started blowing fuses. It has two 30 amp fuses on the side. I replaced them and they blew immediately. Now i just tried replacing them again with some 15amps and it worked on low volume, but blew when i cranked the volume up past ten or so. Im assuming its an internal problem, but does anyone have an idea of what it might be? Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      I assume the 30s are the correct size? It might be worth pooping the cover off for a visual. There might be an obvious hot spot. Otherwise, you could unhook one channel, add the proper fusing and see if it’ll run one side without popping.

When you replaced the fuses and they blew immediately was the amp powered up?

4. flatblackford92

flatblackford92 New Member

City, State:
      piscataway, nj
      1994 ford explorer
      Yes. The fuses only blew when the stereo was on and i turned it up past 10. Below ten they didnt blow. And 2 30amp fuses is correct. And i was planning on taking it apart and looking for anything wrong, broke solder connections etc. I just figured i would see if anyone had any ideas first. Thanks

5. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      It’s possible you could have a shorted speaker coil, as well. When you run the amp normally are you pushing it? Does it usually get hot?