• Register Today It's free!

Annoying vibration

George cartwright

Reaction score
City, State
Moe
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ltd
I have a 20044 explorer ltd wjith v8 motor it has a vibrationon take off if steering wheel is turned left or righr only last 2or 3 seconds rest of time runs ggreat has anybody had this problem or knows the cause please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm having the same issue,i have heard that there is air in the power steering,But i have yet to check it out.Its my wife's and it has 230,000 plus miles on it..please keep us posted if you find out what it is..

vibration/rumble when turning at low speeds
Ok i found this on the forum here,hope you can click on it, Or just type it in at the top right of the page, Where it says search. But it sounds like we need a rear differential fluid change with friction modifier added, if it has not gotten too bad,If it has it will require a new clutch pack in the rear end..

Sounds like the power steering pump failed or there's air in the lines. Check under the hood for steering fluid sprayed about, if all checks out there it may be another driveline component such as the differential etc.

vibration/rumble when turning at low speeds
Ok i found this on the forum here,hope you can click on it, Or just type it in at the top right of the page, Where it says search. But it sounds like we need a rear differential fluid change with friction modifier added, if it has not gotten too bad,If it has it will require a new clutch pack in the rear end..

Hi 07gtman thanks for advice about rumble changed oil in both diffs and transfer case rumble much less and fading mechanic says may take couple weeks to dissapear thanks once again*

Anytime glad to help out
Hi 07gtman thanks for advice about rumble changed oil in both diffs and transfer case rumble much less and fading mechanic says may take couple weeks to dissapear thanks once again*

Hi coolhand 20they did not put the additive said it was already in the oil rumble was still there but abit less so i purchase the motorcraft additive and put it in 2 daysago now to what the results are cheers

After you have changed the rear differential fluid, you can work the friction modifier into the clutch pack faster by taking the vehicle to a parking lot and drive slowly in circles. Turn the steering as far left as you can and drive at least 3 full circles, then repeat to the right. This will cause the clutch pack to slip and work the new fluid in to it.

Yeah even if the new oil comes with it you should add it in anyways as the oil they add in is a universal type friction additive vs the oem which is the correct additive for it. I had to change the oil on my Dana 35 rear end on my '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee every 20k and even with using the full synthetic that claimed it had said additive I always went and picked up the Chrysler additive to make sure. All of those additives though just stink to high heaven like the transfer case fluid does.

Hopefully it helps with the rumble and you don't have to re-build the rear end. I had to do that to my Grand Cherokee when bought I bought it off the lot with 84,600 and it had the typical whine/rumble those Dana 35's have which tend to eat bearings unless you put the heavy duty stuff from spicer in once I did that no more issues. Thankfully it only cost me 150 bucks for parts with my discount and 300 bucks for it to be rebuilt at 84,800 miles and sold the vehicle with 125,000 miles when I bought my explorer last Sept.

Best of luck with all of it!

Back