Another cab leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another cab leak

raptorx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer
I got a 89 Bronco II that im trying to fix all the cab leaks. So far it looks like the back drivers side window seal and the liftgate window seal are the current culprits. the side window was re-sealed by the previous owner by the looks of it. I personally re-sealed the passenger side rear side window but the problem I have is 1 of the studs on the drivers window is broke so the glass isn't holding tight to the body. I haven't cut the glass out yet thanks to cold weather and an un-heatable garage. My best guess is its leaking up near the stupid rain gutter in the back. anyone have any easier solutions for sealing it or how to re-attach the broke stud?

As for the liftgate its the non moving glass kind and my guess is the seal is shot as well. I have removed windshields before but since the liftgate is made of fiberglass im not sure how exactly to go about it. should I take it to a glass shop or is it easy to re-seal

Any info would be greatly appreciated

the rear hatch seal is a "peel out, peel in" type, like the old style windshield gaskets. sounds crazy, but, if the seal is still in good condition, just stiff/slightly shrunken, pull it, and coat it heavily in Vaseline. leave it alone for a couple of days. come back, wipe off the Vaseline, and it should be soft again. We do this with the rubber "hands" on our plant setting equipment on the farm. keeps the "hands" from smushing the young plants. also works well on door seals.

Hmm ive never messed with that kind of setup. So how would i go about removing the seal? Ive scoured the internet and cant find anything on removing the window or a replacement seal i would like to at least kinda know what im doing before i try to pull the glass

On the plus side i managed to get the side window re-sealed using that rust oleum flex seal stuff

Back