Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Any pics of a 2gen using 5th gen 18" oem rims???

Discussion in 'Tires & Wheels' started by fecupe2001, March 14, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. fecupe2001

fecupe2001 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 Ford Explorer
      Hey guys, i found some nice 18" wheels for my 2gen explorer, they are from a guy that owns a 2012 explorer if i´m not mistaken, he´s selling the wheels and tires very cheap but i´m still not convinced, if i should get those for my 2gen or just buy some aftermarket wheels and tires, if someone has a picture of a 2gen explorer using these 18" rims would help me a lot!!

[​IMG]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 1996EB

1996EB 2003 V8 Limited Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Windsor, ON
      03 Explorer Ltd. & 03 ST
      Don't even think about it. The center bore diameter on those 5th gen rims will not fit over your larger 2nd gen hub AND the offset is wrong. Even if you were to increase the center bore (not recommended) on the 5th gen rims, they will be pulled "inboard" on your 2nd gen creating handling, clearance and safety issues.

• Useful Useful x 1
    4. fecupe2001

fecupe2001 New Member

1998 Ford Explorer
      wowww haha, thank god i posted!!! you helped me tons bro, thanks a lot for taking the time to respond, already scratched the idea!

• Like Like x 2
    5. Ddudley84

Ddudley84 Dudley

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Gardner ma
      02 explorer xlt
      Sorry for the bump but I have been wondering would 5th gen fit on 3rd gen I have been seeing a lot of 5th gen wheels lately

6. awsmev

awsmev New Member

City, State:
      Elizabeth CO
      96 4x4 xlt
      I have a set of 5th gen sitting and the sons 2nd needs tires! Thinking of getting some spacers to move them out, to take care of the center hole issue. And the offset difference. Anyone done it yet? Got 3 sets of 20” tires just sitting

7. mic98xlt

mic98xlt Elite Explorer

City, State:
      West Haven, Ct.
      98 XLT
      03 Sport
      I have 5th generation 18" Explorer rims on my 2003 Explorer Sport. My Sport is the same offset and specs as the 2nd generation Explorers. They required special custom centric hub spacers since offset is different, plus center bore is also different between the generations. I got them from Motorsport Tech in Nevada. You will not find these custom spacers on Ebay, believe me I looked. If you go to motorsport-tech.com website, you can configure the spacers online and get a price. They are not cheap but worth your wild if you want to update your rims to the newer generation. My spacers are 1.25 inch thick.