Any 'Police look' Explorers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any 'Police look' Explorers?

DorianGray

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2002
Greetings Everyone.

I'm currently going for the 'police look' on my Explorer.
Does anyone else has done it? Post your pics!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not that I was attempting a police look, but some people have thought so. The first pic is with 18" 4th gen rims. The second pic is with 2011 Mustang rims. I refinished these rims myself. Both pics are from this summer.
FullSizeRender (25).jpg
RIMS.jpg

Paint it black and white put some numbers on the top, and the words "Explorer Squad" on the doors. along with a push bar.
also add "Fooling civilians.... in your community"

With mine, it actually gets annoying sometimes. Often people slow down in front of me on the freeway and when they finally move over, stare at the vehicle and me as I go by.

FullSizeRender (26).jpg

hello 1996EB i do have one question for you when you install the Lincoln Aviator mirrors was it a plug in or did you have to do a rewiring job to get them to work with the explorer mirror and wiring systems i like the look of the mirrors and also were did you get the push-bar i am looking for one for my 05 explorer thanks for the help

1996EB- Yours look great. I'll post pics of mine once i'm done with it. I'm looking to buy a push bar now but can't find any locally.

hello 1996EB i do have one question for you when you install the Lincoln Aviator mirrors was it a plug in or did you have to do a rewiring job to get them to work with the explorer mirror and wiring systems i like the look of the mirrors and also were did you get the push-bar i am looking for one for my 05 explorer thanks for the help

The Aviator mirrors are not even close to plug & play. I have a post in the forum about it. I didn't really intend to do a write-up, but I did put something together. It's very tricky wiring them and you'll see why in my other post. All the information I have on it is here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/05-aviator-mirrors-on-03-limited.414079/

Regarding the brush bar. I purchased it used off Craigslist. It needed a bit of restoration but was complete, including the mounting brackets. If you buy one used make sure that it is for 3rd gen and comes with the mounting brackets.

1996EB- Yours look great. I'll post pics of mine once i'm done with it. I'm looking to buy a push bar now but can't find any locally.

Thank you DorianGray. I'll be interested in seeing pics once you are done. Just make sure that you don't put any blue and red lights on it, that will get you into trouble! I got my brush bar off Craigslist (see above). Used ones do come up for sale occasionally, but you could always buy new if you don't want to wait for a deal on a used one.

Man that's a good looking explorer 1996EB. I've got an all black 03 that I bought from state police government auction. I get the same reaction driving on the interstate and mine don't have the grill guard (yet). I am like the OP I kind of want to do a look-a-like but not so much to whereas I get in trouble. Lol
Look forward to seeing more explorer's in this category. -Tim

Man that's a good looking explorer 1996EB. I've got an all black 03 that I bought from state police government auction. I get the same reaction driving on the interstate and mine don't have the grill guard (yet). I am like the OP I kind of want to do a look-a-like but not so much to whereas I get in trouble. Lol

I see you're in Richmond, I live up the road in Charlottesville. I get the same thing with my work car; I work part time for the county and the car they gave me to drive is an old detectives/undercover Dodge Intrepid with tinted windows. That matched with government plates, no one wants to pass me when I get out on I-64. BTW, nice name, I am a fellow Tim as well.

Thanks for the info 1996EB and for the link extra-medium.

My problem is that I live in the caribbean. Must of the ones i've seen online doesn't ship here and the ones that do, the shipping cost is higher than the brush bars. I'm going too keep looking locally.

Thanks BlackRaider! I'm really happy with it.

Finally after two different push-bars (eBay sellers did not list them correctly) I have the bars installed. I also picked up some cheap magnetic small antennas for the roof! Now I can roll in the HOV lane all day and not get molested!

Looking good with the brush bar! Super clean, too.

Heres what iam working with guys! im hoping to get a brush/grille gaurd soon and possibly taillight gaurds as well. you guys have got some awesome looking "police/fbi/cia look-a-likes" lolol i have thought of adding a large antenna or two but think maybe ill get in trouble for looking too much like a squad car, i would sure hate to get an impersonation charge lol.

Screenshot_2016-11-14-02-06-46-1_zpscmgsb3rm.png

Back