Any survivors able to comment? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any survivors able to comment?

Tires come in various MAX pressure ratings, most are 44psi these days. The stock 15's were 235/75/15, a taller profile tire than the later 16's that were 255/70/16. The profile(75, 70) is a primary stability factor. A 45 series tire(old Mustangs with 245/45/17's) is more stable than a 225/60/16(stock on similar age Crown Vics and Lincolns) tire. That 15% series difference makes 3" of height difference. Each 5% is about one inch.

I just wore out a set of Michelins last October, the LTX MS2's I believe, in 22-23000 miles, eleven months, at work. I chose a 255/65/16 instead of the stock 255/70/16 size. That's an inch shorter tire, and it was more stable than the original size, but the speedometer was off just a hair, maybe 3mph at 65mph or so. All the 15" stock tires were the same 29" diameter, with the same speedometer error(stock). So I don't mind a tire in the 29"-30" height for myself. I changed this last time to a 245/70/16 in a Cooper Discovery AT3, 29.5" tall, just a hair shorter than stock. These are all 44psi MAX tires, for even wear they have needed about 36psi in front, and 33-34psi in the rear. That produces the least uneven feeling from the front and back, and even steering response. As the pressure in front gets closer to the rear, steering feels slower, the back feels more loose(fishtailing).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually after 5 totaled vehicles back in my "Young and Bullet Proof Days" I have just learned to slow down.

The last major wreck cost me 5 days in ICU after being partially ejected....

Yes, I'm like everyone else and get the very rare "Wild Hair Up My A$$" but no where near as bad as I used to be.

These days I just watch the fools "Fly By" and look for the "Meat Wagon" about a hour down the road...

Many years ago I was offset rear ended by a Chrysler minivan in my ex. Must have been 30-40 MPH, he accelerated to pass me. The van looked destroyed. I felt a bit of a jolt, and noise. I got some estimates and it was under $1000 in damages.

The place was a business and paid out the lowest estimate, they didn't want an insurance claim which would cost more in the long run because they had a few. Guy said he couldn't believe how little damage I had. I left it alone. Bumper was a bit bent, lamp broken, and and a very very slight damage the rear quarter panel. I replaced the bumper and left it alone. Truck body wasn't perfect and I didn't think I would keep it long anyway.

The high center of gravity of these Explorers create the greatest danger for them, they are much more likely to flip over at speed, than a car. Keep very good air pressure in all the tires, don't let them become under inflated ever.

The primary impact is most important for survive-ability. If the main impact is down onto the "A" pillars and front seats, the injuries will be bad. If the impact is from the front, straight, it should be minor injuries if everyone is wearing seat belts. The heavy frame and chassis will absorb more force than smaller cars can.

Wear seat belts always. They save lives by more than keeping you in a car, they keep the driver in position at the critical time when they need to control the vehicle, before an accident.

I've never wrecked an Explorer, but I did survive a roll over in my first Lincoln, a 91 Mark VII.
Here's the 99 Explorer Limited that I rebuilt. It was rolled before I got it from a JY, only the chassis and front end was salvageable.

View attachment 153779

Minimizing car accident damages/injuries was taught to all of us in drivers education. Reduce your speed as quickly as possible while keeping a straight line to give more time to manuever/avoid impact and to reduce possible impact speeds. In an EXP that could roll at 60 when avoiding something but will do much better at 30-40, that makes even more sense.

Also too may drivers today are distracted by smartphones, or are treating driving like a video game. thye don't understand the physics or kenitecs of a 4500 lb vehicle.

I was following behind a lifted Explorer on a single lane Colorado mountain road. Doing 60-65mph he blew a left rear tire with a sudden deflation. The tire was a 33" or 35". When the tire blew it went with a big bang. The driver calmly let off the gas, braked easy, and put it over on the shoulder of the road with no drama what so ever.

I was doing over 100 MPH in a Crown Victoria on a curved transition freeway ramp when the outside of the curve front tire blew. I reduced my steering input and coasted to the shoulder. No problem.

While not as severe someone was parked behind me in front of the fire hydrant so I wasn't looking backing out of my driveway. I cracked a tail light and she got what she got. This was rolling backwards.

Exo 1.jpg

Expo 2.jpg

Expo 3.jpg

Forget, yes I survived

The reason mine rolled had nothing to do with tire pressure or wheelbase or any other items of conjecture.

It involved pulling a trailer, getting run off the road, and the trailer catching a drainage culvert.

My current 2000 Mountaineer is suspension lifted and can be thrown into curves with reckless abandon without any concern about handling issues.

It all depends on how you set it up and maintain it.

With the stiffer than stock suspension and EE sway bar, there is no body roll.

She tracks through corners flatter than my 93 Mustang.

The reason mine rolled had nothing to do with tire pressure or wheelbase or any other items of conjecture.

It involved pulling a trailer, getting run off the road, and the trailer catching a drainage culvert.

My current 2000 Mountaineer is suspension lifted and can be thrown into curves with reckless abandon without any concern about handling issues.

It all depends on how you set it up and maintain it.

With the stiffer than stock suspension and EE sway bar, there is no body roll.

She tracks through corners flatter than my 93 Mustang.
Not an expert from what I understand stiffer rear suspension could cause roll? I know when trucks have helper springs they equip it with a softer leaf. They say not to add helpers unless you change the leaf.

^ Stiffer suspension can contribute to rollover if it's an aftermarket setup that raises the center of gravity. At same height it reduces the chances but you'll have less warning before it happens, probably have more confidence and drive faster... might be a wash.

I suspect changing to a softer leaf is also about ride quality, stiffer initial suspension travel and stiff load rated tires to go along with it, can make for an uncomfortable ride.

I got involved in a 2 car pile up in the beginning of 2017. I was sitting at a stop light when a ford focus slammed a civic behind me doing 50mph, then the civic hit my bumper. It sounded violent but like other described getting rear ended. It was just a little bump lol.

No damage was done to the bumper, Just the bumper brackets themselves. I went to the junkyard and got new ones, bolted them on. Good as new. What is really crazy is that focus hit the civic so hard that it poped sparked plugs out of the engine and that car still ran and started back up to move out of the road. I didn't think about it at the time but thats impressive lol. Oh yeah the lady that hit everybody in focus said she "blacked out" ..... uhh huh.

about 10 years ago I pulled into the lot at work, noticed a car with a really low front tire. I found the owner and told her. her response was "that's ok, I'm getting another car next week". I say something about safety until then, she responds again that she's getting another car next week. like the man said, you just can't fix stupid. not even with TPMS.

on a related note, before I retired I was on the road for hours daily. the number of underinflated tires is scary.

about 10 years ago I pulled into the lot at work, noticed a car with a really low front tire. I found the owner and told her. her response was "that's ok, I'm getting another car next week". I say something about safety until then, she responds again that she's getting another car next week. like the man said, you just can't fix stupid. not even with TPMS.

on a related note, before I retired I was on the road for hours daily. the number of under-inflated tires is scary.

About 20 years ago I had a woman working for me (as a matter of fact she had new Explorer). She also had a 90's sports car (Mazda RX7 or something) that she owned before she bought the Explorer. She got in an accident with the Explorer and drove the Mazda, which had been sitting for quite a while, while the Expl was repaired. I came into work one day and saw the rubber-band tires on the Mazda looked way under-inflated. When those low-profile tires look low, they might only have 10 PSI left in them. I told her that she better get some air in those tires ASAP. She ignored me, saying that she'd only be driving it for a week while her Expl was repaired and that she was selling it. Several days later she got cut off and drove through a gore. Atlanta can be very serious about not wanting people to drive through their gores and puts these things I refer to as "half basketballs" in them as a deterant. With normal tire inflation you'll end up getting a very rough ride. With super under-inflated low-profile sport tires she ruined all four tires and bent all four rims. The next day she came to work in a rental car complaining about how she now had to replace all her tires and rims, so that she could sell the Mazda, and what bad luck she was having. Like you said, "you can't fix stupid".

IDK how it is where you live, but in the Atlanta area accidents and insurance rates are going up. My car insurance has gone up about 20% in the past two years (w/no claims). I blame it on "distracted drivers"....
Yea, it's not just Atlanta. It's everywhere.
I bump them with my cart and tell them to get the f**k out of the way (I'm over 6' 2"/260 so I get away with it, but one of these days someone will probably pull a gun on me, but I carry too)...
I usually just leave it at "excuse me" in a deep voice that varies in volume (and pissed-off tone) proportionally with their level of awareness. I'm in your same weight class, and I've found that our size is enough to strike a primordial fear into most people...No need to go around bumping into people, lol.
I saw some stupid woman on the news a few weeks ago that thought they shouldn't try to enact laws to stop people from texting while driving, because it was an invasion of their privacy.
I don't think she knows how privacy works.

Yea, it's not just Atlanta. It's everywhere.
I usually just leave it at "excuse me" in a deep voice that varies in volume (and pissed-off tone) proportionally with their level of awareness. I'm in your same weight class, and I've found that our size is enough to strike a primordial fear into most people...No need to go around bumping into people, lol.
I don't think she knows how privacy works.

What can I say, I'm just not a people-person. One thing I really hate is when people have no consideration for others. When I encounter this I always give them crap about it. It just seems like no one cares about anyone but themselves today.

What can I say, I'm just not a people-person. One thing I really hate is when people have no consideration for others. When I encounter this I always give them crap about it. It just seems like no one cares about anyone but themselves today.

Well don't go driving anywhere, at all, ever. The roads are filled with people who don't care about anyone else.

They drive constantly in the left lane, never move over, even for emergency vehicles, cross lanes of traffic while turning to get to the lane they want(cutting off people also turning from the other direction), speed up in passing zones, slow down where there's just one lane, etc, etc.

I'd make a bad cop, I'd pull everyone over, and I'm not even talking about speeding.

I haven't been in a car crash with my Explorer, but my Explorer was rear ended a few years ago. I wasn't in the vehicle so I can't comment first hand on how the vehicle handles in a crash. However I can say it happened coming off the interstate ramp, the car behind the Ex didn't stop and hit the bumper. The impact wasn't large enough to deploy the airbags, so it wasn't too bad of a crash. It handled the whole thing so well it wasn't a question of what hit us, but did we get hit? One new bumper later here she is today, the plastic didn't match for the longest time but a few months ago I started refinishing the plastic. I'm confident in my Explorers ability to hold up in a crash, but I hope that never happens because if anything happens the insurance will total it.

Upon researching my Cooper tires later I discovered they are ONLY RATED @ 35 psi MAX!

I was surprised to find my tires(chinese all season) only have the 35 psi max rating. I like to have my tires a little higher pressure so I run my tires at the max pressure for better handling and economy. After watching those videos of Explorers flipping I don't like to take chances.

I have a similar story, a customer came in with a 3rd gen Explorer with her right front tire nearly flat, she said "I just need an air check" I air checked all the tires to 35 PSI and informed her that she needed to replace her front tires. She assured me that she was selling the car next week so she didn't need new tires, I told her that she needed to be careful because the tire could lose air pressure and blowout. Still she was certain that the tires were fine... Some people don't understand how crucial tires are to their safety. Not to mention that new tires would have increased the value of the vehicle.

I haven't been in a car crash with my Explorer, but my Explorer was rear ended a few years ago. I wasn't in the vehicle so I can't comment first hand on how the vehicle handles in a crash. However I can say it happened coming off the interstate ramp, the car behind the Ex didn't stop and hit the bumper. The impact wasn't large enough to deploy the airbags, so it wasn't too bad of a crash. It handled the whole thing so well it wasn't a question of what hit us, but did we get hit? One new bumper later here she is today, the plastic didn't match for the longest time but a few months ago I started refinishing the plastic. I'm confident in my Explorers ability to hold up in a crash, but I hope that never happens because if anything happens the insurance will total it.

Upon researching my Cooper tires later I discovered they are ONLY RATED @ 35 psi MAX!

I was surprised to find my tires(chinese all season) only have the 35 psi max rating. I like to have my tires a little higher pressure so I run my tires at the max pressure for better handling and economy. After watching those videos of Explorers flipping I don't like to take chances.

I have a similar story, a customer came in with a 3rd gen Explorer with her right front tire nearly flat, she said "I just need an air check" I air checked all the tires to 35 PSI and informed her that she needed to replace her front tires. She assured me that she was selling the car next week so she didn't need new tires, I told her that she needed to be careful because the tire could lose air pressure and blowout. Still she was certain that the tires were fine... Some people don't understand how crucial tires are to their safety. Not to mention that new tires would have increased the value of the vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back