Anyone got any loose change? Front End Noise... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone got any loose change? Front End Noise...

BootyDo

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited V8
Hi All,

Over this past winter, I began hearing some weird noise from the front driver's wheel when I went over bumps. Now with both windows down, it seems it's actually the same sound on both sides. It definitely sounds like it's coming from the wheel, but that's with me in the truck so it's hard to pinpoint if it's suspension related or something in the engine chamber near the fenders. But the sounds is like loose change or a washer falling on another loose washer or something. I can't seem to find anything when the truck is off, but does anyone know what this might be based on the sound?

TIA!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you guys! I look into that this weekend. I'm praying this is an easy fix :dunno:

Did you figure out what's going on? I've noticed a weird *clanking* sounds on my front end of mine when I've been hitting bumps lately. Only started noticing this with the warmer weather and driving with the windows down. I'm thinking it's what the other guys have said, but I'm hoping it's not since I just changed my endlinks (MOOG) last summer. I'm due for an oil change here soon so I'll poke my head under there and scope it out a bit more closely.

Another thing to check is the front caliper mounts. Try hitting similar bumps while holding slight pressure on the brake pedal. If noise goes away, pull a wheel and see if your front calipers have wiggle

Another thing to check is the front caliper mounts. Try hitting similar bumps while holding slight pressure on the brake pedal. If noise goes away, pull a wheel and see if your front calipers have wiggle

Omg, I hope not. I actually had a similar *clanking* noise on my ranger once... it was a loose passenger caliper. Well, I didn't find that out until I took it off roading up a mountain and discovered the one mountaining bolt fell out when I had no brakes. Then I was like "ohhhh, that's what that noise was!" Craziest drive down a mountain in my entire life.

Omg, I hope not. I actually had a similar *clanking* noise on my ranger once... it was a loose passenger caliper. Well, I didn't find that out until I took it off roading up a mountain and discovered the one mountaining bolt fell out when I had no brakes. Then I was like "ohhhh, that's what that noise was!" Craziest drive down a mountain in my entire life.
That gear shift must’ve gotten a workout hahaha

Cranking on bumps in Second Gen is very often end links as mentioned above. Very simple repair, and no special tools needed.

That gear shift must’ve gotten a workout hahaha

Sure did, luckily it was a manual. I was extremely fortunate to have fixed the ebrake a week or two before hand. Nothing like being over an hour away from home, in the dark of night, on top of a mountain without any brakes.

Cranking on bumps in Second Gen is very often end links as mentioned above. Very simple repair, and no special tools needed.

Is it possible for them to make this noise if I over tightened them?

If you over tighten then you can ruin the bushings in short order. Both the bar mount bushings and end links can make noise.

Back