Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Anyone have experience with installing a tranny rebuild kit?

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by CarlosHRNYC, February 14, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. CarlosHRNYC

CarlosHRNYC New Member

City, State:
      Pine Bush, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2004 Explorer XLS
      I have a master rebuild kit I purchased for my 5R55S and I just want to make sure I hit all the seals, gaskets, etc. If anyone has done this before I'd love to hear how your experience went and if you have any tips/suggestions.

I have already pulled the tranny and have some hard parts on order.

I also have a Superior Shift Kit that I plan to install in the valve body but for that I have detailed instructions that came with the kit and there are plenty of videos on YouTube that show the necessary steps.

There's not much I can find online on rebuild kits. I do have the ATSG Tranny Manual for the 5R55S so I can at least follow that.

Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. transman304

transman304 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Morgantown WV
      2001 Honda Accord
      What brand kit? Change all 3 bands, front pump bushing, servo pistons and ck for wear on the servo pin bores. New solenoid block and remanufactured torque converter. Shift kit is good as it addresses the line pressure relief valve. ATSG is a basic reference manual but not model year specific. Good luck and have fun!

4. CarlosHRNYC

CarlosHRNYC New Member

City, State:
      Pine Bush, NY
      2004 Explorer XLS
      Isn't it always about having fun, Transman?? :D thanks for the reply.

Wellington 5R55S/W Deluxe Transmission Rebuild Kit 2002-ON
      Mfg #16008G

I have the bands, pump bushings and seal, solenoid on the way. Is the torque converter a requirement?

With my rebuild kit it just seems I have a lot more bushings, o-rings, checkcballs, seals and gaskets than what my tranny has.

I'm guessing it's to cover parts from the S & W.

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Do you have seal installation tools? The small seals rip easily, and caution should be taken even while using these tools. A clutch pack compression tool is also recommended.

6. transman304

City, State:
      Morgantown WV
      2001 Honda Accord
      The torque converter is #1 on the list to get replaced. Always. It is just a big trash can you can’t clean out with out cutting it apart. Also these units were plagued with converter failures in the early models. You will have more parts in the softparts kit than needed. I looked at the spec on the kit you purchased and believe you will fine. For me as doing it everyday and having to warranty the job I have certain brand parts that I only use for diffrent units. The thing I find with kits like you purchased are the use of no name off shore parts. Alto clutch’s are fine,it’s the bands and filter that are a bit questionable in my opinion. You will also want to get the molded piston for the forward drum as I don’t se it in your kit. Also as Brooklyn Bay pointed out you will need to figure a way to compress the return springs for the drums without bending or damaging them for disassembly as well as assembly. Care must be used also for lip seals and sealing rings as not to damage them as you will have to purchase another OH kit (softparts, gasket and seal kit) as most are not sold separate.
      Also be sure to flush the cooler and cooler lines before installing transmission.

Last edited: February 15, 2018 at 6:06 AM
    7. CarlosHRNYC

CarlosHRNYC New Member

City, State:
      Pine Bush, NY
      2004 Explorer XLS
      These are all great tips. I'll be sure to add this to my checklist.

And yes, I had cooler line flush on my list of things to do so I'm glad to see I'm on the right path.

As far as tools, what I don't have in my shop, hopefully AutoZone or my local tool rental shop will have.

I'll keep you posted as I progress.

Thanks TransMan and BrooklynBay!

8. transman304

City, State:
      Morgantown WV
      2001 Honda Accord
      Any questions please feel free to ask. In fact I have one on my bench this morning and could take pictures if needed.

• Like Like x 1
    9. CarlosHRNYC

CarlosHRNYC New Member

City, State:
      Pine Bush, NY
      2004 Explorer XLS
      Awesome!

By the way, how do I post pics on here? I yry but I must be doing something wrong .

10. transman304

City, State:
      Morgantown WV
      2001 Honda Accord
      I believe I can upload pictures because I signed up to the Elite Explorers membership. May be someone will chime in and be able to help you with that.

11. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Only elite members are able to upload photos directly to this site. Photos could be linked or embedded from another site if you want to choose a hosting site. Photo Bucket was free at one time but not anymore.