Anyone have water leaks inside the cab? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone have water leaks inside the cab?

mekkerl

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Limited
I pulled out of my parking spot the other day, and heard a dripping noise; looked behind me, and saw that there was water leaking from the trim above the rear window (trim on the ceiling) onto the back of the rear seat.

Anyone experience this?

Im going to take it to the dealer today, hopefully they can seek it out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bro I feel for you all your posts are about **** going wrong

Tell me about it...my co-workers keep telling me its a lemon...but I truly feel its not; hopefully this is the last issue!

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers!

I had the same issue last month. I took it in to the dealer and they replaced and re-sealed the third break light (on top). I have not had a leak since.

JT

Yup, ended up being the same issue...so they replaced the break light...no more leak!

Leaks and squeaks

My roof top night light happened to burn out before I had any leaks happen! While I had the cover off to repair the bulb I slathered vasoline all around the rubber gasket under the lamp housing and that appears to have really sealed it tight.

Where I am now having problems is a squeak in the body on just inside the right rear door at the back. This only happens when you go over small bumps and such and it just squeaks like made. Now the interesting part, if it rains it does not squeak but I have now found out why with no thanks to my dealer. After pulling all the paneling off, and it is not that hard to do, I've discovered that the moonroof has a drain tube that comes part way down the back cab wall and ends in this rubber mounted funnel system that shoots the water straight into the inside of the back panel where the roll down window goes.
The squeak is definately coming from the rear body corner in the bottom directly inline with the outfall from the moon roof drain so I have to suspect that the water has gotten to that panel and has cause some rust. I cannot get into the back there to look at it but that is where the sound comes from so it has to be the cause.
I am going to talk to Ford directly and see what can be done but I suspect the only way to fix this is to get some silicon spay and have it drip down in there.
What I would like to do determine some way to route the drain tube from the moon roof right outside the back.

So beware about that drain pipe coming from the moon roof as I think we will see more internal rust problems from it.

Thanks.

mine has the same problem back drivers side window, drips when it rains hopefully ill get 2 it soon

2008 Same problem

Experienced the same problem. Water leaking into the cabin. Exact same spot as others, over each head rest.

Almost fried my sub-woofer.

Will take it to the dealer as soon as it stops raining. :mad:

I have had my ST for 3 years now with no leaks what so ever. I had to get the shifter replaced (under warranty) because the park interlock relay quit working. Other than that this is the best truck I have owned. ;)

hey mekkerl and ever1ast15,
do you remember how much the repair was on those windows? both of my rear side windows leak on my explorer sport, and i don't want to have pay for the dealer just to look at it to then tell me how much it will cost to fix it. thanks!

hey mekkerl and ever1ast15,
do you remember how much the repair was on those windows? both of my rear side windows leak on my explorer sport, and i don't want to have pay for the dealer just to look at it to then tell me how much it will cost to fix it. thanks!
These are issues that are covered under waranty!

Good info. I notice mine was leaking in the exact same way today. Guess I'll be taking a look at the cab-mounted break light.

My roof top night light happened to burn out before I had any leaks happen! While I had the cover off to repair the bulb I slathered vasoline all around the rubber gasket under the lamp housing and that appears to have really sealed it tight.

Where I am now having problems is a squeak in the body on just inside the right rear door at the back. This only happens when you go over small bumps and such and it just squeaks like made. Now the interesting part, if it rains it does not squeak but I have now found out why with no thanks to my dealer. After pulling all the paneling off, and it is not that hard to do, I've discovered that the moonroof has a drain tube that comes part way down the back cab wall and ends in this rubber mounted funnel system that shoots the water straight into the inside of the back panel where the roll down window goes.
The squeak is definately coming from the rear body corner in the bottom directly inline with the outfall from the moon roof drain so I have to suspect that the water has gotten to that panel and has cause some rust. I cannot get into the back there to look at it but that is where the sound comes from so it has to be the cause.
I am going to talk to Ford directly and see what can be done but I suspect the only way to fix this is to get some silicon spay and have it drip down in there.
What I would like to do determine some way to route the drain tube from the moon roof right outside the back.

So beware about that drain pipe coming from the moon roof as I think we will see more internal rust problems from it.

Thanks.

If it goes to the same place as the window, how would that be any different than the water that goes past the dew-wipe strip on the window? Just curious, I've never seen inside the ST rear panel... Is the hose itself maybe rubbing on the body panel? I don't understand how rust=squeaking... Just thinking out loud... :)

I know this post is a little late but got some interesting info from Ford. I have a cab full of water and it is comming from the 3rd brake light so I called Ford. Of course my warrenty ended 2 months ago but the parts guy told me that they have changed the brake light every year since 07'. So if you have to replace it then get the 09' or 10' ones. He said they were running $65 so hopefully the newer ones are better.

I had the same problem -- third tail light. The dealer kindly replaced it free of charge, but now I am left with a cab full of water. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to dry out the matting below the plastic floor covering? It is going into the dealer tomorrow and they tell me that they will use a wet vac on it, but I'm not convinced that that will do the trick. Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks!

My sun roof leaked. Got so bad that I had to drill a hole in the floor pan. Repeated blowing out the two front corner drain holes with cleaner and air compressor got the bugs out of the drain tubes. Suggest this be a regular cleaning routine. Doesn't take to clog these small tubes.

Thanks. I'm afraid I may have to resort to the same thing. I can hear water sloshing back and forth underneath the mat. And with the mat being plastic, there is no way of getting the water to evaporate naturally.

....same problem. The third brake light was leaking. Dealer fixed it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My sun roof leaked. Got so bad that I had to drill a hole in the floor pan. Repeated blowing out the two front corner drain holes with cleaner and air compressor got the bugs out of the drain tubes. Suggest this be a regular cleaning routine. Doesn't take to clog these small tubes.

Hopefully you did not damage the drain tubes. I talked to the dealer the other day. He warned against using compressed air as the tubes are only friction held. As the tubes age they stiffen and can be blown off if clogged and air blown into them.

The sunroof on my wife's truck leaked leaving two inches of water on the passenger side. The windshield trim was also installed wrong. They had her truck for a week. Ended up the pan under the windshield was leaking as well, new pan had to be ordered. The pan sits under the vent where the hood and windshield meet.

They kinda harrassed her when she dropped the truck off, told her she must have wrecked it and replaced the windshield. They pisssed her off and ruined my week for sure.

Back