Anyone interested in a DIY body lift kit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone interested in a DIY body lift kit?

im almost done making my lift kit and will be puting it in soon, and was wondering if anyone would be interested in plans (list of parts).

it would be 1-3 inches and would be up to $50.

questions?:thumbsup::thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds good.
Would love to see what it consists of.

Would be nice to get a lift for my Explorer. Been wanting to since I got it but I can't find one that is actually made for my 1996

OK so my lift is in, and everything is good, just need to make some bumper brackets.

not a lot of people have shown interest.

aprox 50$ in parts
must be able to weld, or have someone weld for you (or be able to get the steering extension.)

Is it just pucks and bolts or what all are you including with it, the steering extension I think can be ordered separately. If you can do it for $50 I'm pretty interested, what did you do for the radiator and ground straps.

yes it is pucks and bolts, the rad was left in its normal spot, and i dropped the shroud down and remounted. the ground strap is long enough in its stock form. it does not need to be extended.

its not going to be a kit im selling or anything, im just going to give a list of parts and a bunch of hints and tips on how i did mine. can just use the normal BL guides on the forums for the main jist of things.

I will say that I would suggest buying the steering extension instead of how i did it to eliminate any risk, but if you can weld properly then my way is just as safe.

ill take some pictures and make a list tomorrow.

i'd love an affordable lift for my 99 especially if its from another ef member

maybe I should try and make a kit ^_^, would need to figure out how to make effective steering extension though...

would also have to make some kind of proper rad drop system. im sure people wont want to just drop the shroud.

off to the lab ^_^ would probably end up being about 100$ including shipping.

maybe I should try and make a kit ^_^, would need to figure out how to make effective steering extension though...

would also have to make some kind of proper rad drop system. im sure people wont want to just drop the shroud.

off to the lab ^_^ would probably end up being about 100$ including shipping.

That would definitely be cool if you do a write up with all of the parts needed. I have no problem just dropping my radiator shroud. And since I plan on going with a sloped body lift it just doesn't seem reasonable to buy all of the extra parts not needed.

Thought of something else if you just go with a 2in body lift then no steering extension is needed, this may be the route I go instead of the 3in.

hrrm, didn't know that ^_^. i just made my rear bumper bracket today, turned out good, so now all i need is to make a front one, and i can start writing a list with dimensions.

Definitely looking forward to see your way of doing the body lift, especially if I can do this fairly cheaply.

Im interested, id love to lift mine about 2" and get some fat tires :D

Been working on the same thing, have all the stuff together as soon as the weather turns I will be installing. Turns out if everything goes as planned I will only need to purchase 2 bolts. Since the bolts are all different lengths I should be able to swap locations only needing to replace the longer ones. I'm doing 1.5" that way I could just buy the 3" pucks and cut them in half it worked great, I already have them cut and ready.

You can get the bolt lengths from the diagram that I posted in the sticky for the body lift...
post some pics when your done.. What size did you end up with?

Im interested, id love to lift mine about 2" and get some fat tires :D

shackle it and crank the t bars. Much less work than a body lift and cheaper.

Yea I gotta study up a bit on those before I try haha.

Ive read about it enough, but never actually tried, or consideresd it (yet)

Yea I gotta study up a bit on those before I try haha.

Ive read about it enough, but never actually tried, or consideresd it (yet)

After seeing the stuff you've done with your lights it will take all of like an hour to do. The shackles I use were from Oreilly's with new grade 8 hardware and cranked the torsion bars to match, really easy to do.

Count me in! I love it. That leaves more money for tires and rims.

ok so i just need to figure out how to make a steering extension ( as i don't really want people just cutting it and welding it longer like i did)

im also waiting to figure out how im going to adjust the front bumper, but that will have to wait until i finish making a hidden mount behind it for my winch :) (which i will be writing a guide for as well.)

Ive also found that the pucks squeezed together a bit, so i think im going to re do it using the 10oz pucks instead of the 6oz pucks to give a perfect 3". (that will raise the price a small amount unfortunately, but still a lot less then the 200-250 for the kit ^_^.)

does anyone know how much the steering extension from the kit extends it by?? it would speed this up.

um... it has been covered here many times that using hockey pucks is not safe, especially stacking them. You know you can buy the real lift blocks individually for $2-$3 each right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not safe because??

Back