Anyone know the bumper color (silver/grey) on the Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone know the bumper color (silver/grey) on the Explorer?

eastbayarea

Reaction score
City, State
CA bay area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer
Washing the 2016 Explorer over the weekend and noticed a chip in the lower bumper near the removable hitch cover. Looking to cover it up, but don't know the color to get and all I seem to be able to find are the primary colors of the vehicle, not the trim. This piece is a silver-ish or grey color as the rest of the vehicle is the tri coat white.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sterling Silver as per parts list on Ford's website.

Many thanks. My Google Fu continues to rust the more I age!

Many thanks. My Google Fu continues to rust the more I age!
Usually the trim colour code is shown on one of the tags affixed to the vehicle. Door jamb?

Peter

so know anyone know where one can purchase "Sterling Silver" as calling Ford dealerships only results in body color touch up paint being available? Sterling Silver is not a standard body color and none one seems to have that color online either. Color code information is only for body as well.

I had a chip on my trim, but rather than touch it up I bought the whole trim assembly for about $85. It included the main trim piece (sterling sivler), the tow package cover, and the clips to install. I only used the tow package cover, so I don't know how much trouble it would be to change the main trim out, but you might consider it as a alternative.

If you are looking for a close, but I can't say perfect match for the silver painted portions of our bumpers, the Silver Ignot, code UX is very close. I used the Ford touch-up bottle from the dealer. If you are more than 3 feet away, you cant tell its touched up. Here is a pic of my rear bumper where I touched up 2 scratches each being over an inch long with a 1/2" space between the 2. I contacted Ford corporate and Automotivetouchup.com and neither could provide me a code for the silver painted portions. I decided to give the Silver Ignot UX a try. I am happy with the outcome. Here is a couple pics.

20170417_184029_zpsujma4ehf.jpg
']
20170417_184029_zpsujma4ehf.jpg
[/URL]
20170417_183944_zps9wcjnbwg.jpg
']
20170417_183944_zps9wcjnbwg.jpg
[/URL]

That looks pretty good, not many would notice that touchup.
thumb_zpsd7afeeca.gif

I see "UJ, Sterling Grey Metallic, PMPC-19500-7205A" in the Motorcraft Lacquer Touchup Paint chart, Page 5.

UJ is a charcoal grey color. UX is a silver color. Any pics of the UJ used as touch-up on the bumper pieces?

Looks like TL is the code for Satin Silver. Anybody try that one?

Hello, anyone ever get to the bottom of this? I'm trying to replace mine and have been searching for thr right color. Thanks.

Hello, anyone ever get to the bottom of this? I'm trying to replace mine and have been searching for thr right color. Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are you looking at painting the entire bumper? I don't know if the paint used for that is different than the regular due to the flexibility of the bumper. If you don't get a definitive answer here, I'm sure a body shop would know or perhaps the dealer's parts department. Good luck.

Peter

Also somewhat related, but I have a question about touch up paint. I have three tiny rock chips on my main exterior. I have the "smoked quartz metallic" color. The chips are super tiny and white -- so it really stands out. But with the fancy metallic and tri-coat colors, you can't really do a perfect touch-up job... so it's just basically color matched as a single layer. That's fine, right?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are you looking at painting the entire bumper? I don't know if the paint used for that is different than the regular due to the flexibility of the bumper. If you don't get a definitive answer here, I'm sure a body shop would know or perhaps the dealer's parts department. Good luck.

Peter

Thanks for the reply, im looking for just the rear valance color. Not looking into replacing the whole bumper. I spoke to the ford dealer i received the pice from and they say the computer doesnt say what colore Ford uses, Since the valance comes bare black with no paint (CPTM) i was hoping someone had some good info :)

Thanks for the reply, im looking for just the rear valance color. Not looking into replacing the whole bumper. I spoke to the ford dealer i received the pice from and they say the computer doesnt say what colore Ford uses, Since the valance comes bare black with no paint (CPTM) i was hoping someone had some good info :)

Guess I'll just have to do my best to match it. Thanks guys for the help.

Guess I'll just have to do my best to match it. Thanks guys for the help.
Did you speak to their body shop? I'm guessing a body shop should have that info since they repair damages.

Peter

Also somewhat related, but I have a question about touch up paint. I have three tiny rock chips on my main exterior. I have the "smoked quartz metallic" color. The chips are super tiny and white -- so it really stands out. But with the fancy metallic and tri-coat colors, you can't really do a perfect touch-up job... so it's just basically color matched as a single layer. That's fine, right?

The touch up pen I got from the dealer has two ends; one is the color, and the other is the metallic top coat. You do the color, let it dry, then do the top coat. There are also aftermarket options that have both. The pen doesn't come with instructions, so I learned that the hard way. I didn't like the pen, because the color end doesn't flow well unless it's pointed straight down. The clearcoat end has a little sponge.

This is the one I went with. I haven't applied it yet, so I can't speak to final results, but if you follow the instructions, it should come out better than the pen.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MRPJPNE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The touch up pen I got from the dealer has two ends; one is the color, and the other is the metallic top coat. You do the color, let it dry, then do the top coat.
I had a stone chip on the hood of one of Highlanders that I attempted to touch up with one of those pens. Didn't like how it turned out and being on the driver's side I knew I'd be looking at it every day. Took the vehicle in and had the entire hood repainted. :)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back