Anyone Tried Motorcraft Metal Thermostat Housing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone Tried Motorcraft Metal Thermostat Housing?

hwydave

Reaction score
City, State
Torrance, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 XLT, 1999 XL (RIP)
Searching Rockauto the other days and found that Motorcraft now has metal thermostat housing for the 2006-2010 Explorer. Parts number RH205 for lower and RH206 for upper. Has anyone tried them? Perhap Ford finally realize the failure of the original plastic design :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered the complete kit RT1220 that includes everything you need without the thermostat.
Not yet installed.

I ordered the complete kit RT1220 that includes everything you need without the thermostat.
Not yet installed.
How did the Motorcraft RT-1220 hold up after being installed? Any leaks?

i bought mine at dealer have not had chance to install
How did the Motorcraft RT-1220 hold up after being installed? Any leaks?

Finally got around to installing same as installing the plastic one exept it should out last the car. I cleaned everything up chased threads in manifold. Used jetlube (neverseize for aluminum) on all threads. Picked up silicone heater hose at NAPA to replace the 2 hoses on it. As someone mentioned Ford should have done this from the factory.

Good to hear, I've replaced the plastic one 2x, most recently with the Motorcraft OEM, has lasted 2 yrs but just started the slow drip of coolant. Been looking at the top 2 metal aftermarket versions, each has their pros/cons, but found Motorcraft RT-1220 no longer made but available thru Ford dealers online. Wish I had seen it @ last plastic replacement, but found it now, the fact that it comes with the $22 temp sensor is a nice feature. Appreciate the response....

I knew what you meant... I ordered the Motorcraft RT-1220 from a Ford dealership today, last one in stock. Considering it includes a Motorcraft sensor, got a great price for aluminum one-piece design, cheaper then the aftermarket ones all in. Did you use any additional RTV to mount to manifold? Do you recall if it comes with the extra paper gasket for the thermostat neck like the Mustang 4.0 kit?

Hopefully the slow drip on my plastic Motorcraft housing will stay just that until warmer weather hits up the northeast. Thanks again for the response...

Back