Anyone use smartphone gauges for their sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone use smartphone gauges for their sport?

Ecobeast88

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi guys, Wanted to see if anyone out there is using any of the iPhone or smartphone gauges/data loggers? Like dashboss, dash command or anything like that with the obd2 Bluetooth adapter? I had a 6.0 powerstroke and always monitored everything with the engine. Curious if anyone's doing it with the sport. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use torque on my android and picked up a $10 bluetooth reader from ebay. i made sure i bought the small short one so it is not noticeable. I leave it plugged in and it works very well.

Mind posting a pic of your setup and the gauges in action? Thanks!

I will be out and about later today and will take some screen shots.

Here is the adapter i picked up, i put one on my es350 and one on my xsport and both work perfect.

Bluetooth ODB2 Adapter

Anyone put a boost gauge in the Sport?? I think that would be cool. I also am not a fan of the digital Tachometer. blah

I have both Dashboss and Dash Commander.

My adaptor for Dashboss seems to have stopped working for now.

I use the kiwi adaptor for Dash Commander. It works great. I use it with my ipad mini.

Here's a screen shot of the Torque android app (there will be seven screens total that you can scroll left or right through). Lots of ways to configure it, and you can set up multiple profiles. Have one for my '03 Cobra and the other for the '14 Explorer Sport.

Torque%20app%20screenshot_zpsvrhj7p6t.jpg

This is the Viecar OBD2 adapter I have in the Explorer, which also acts as a "cover" for the OBD port:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Viecar-OBD2-...102283?hash=item1e95bb59cb:g:M98AAOSw7ThUdYfs

DashCommand and WiFi OBD2 adapter in action on iPhone 6...
4DEA12A5-9A52-45CE-B23D-AF03CCF502F6_zpsjwwrs5xw.jpg

I'm not so sure the power and torque meters are especially accurate. The white marks on the power and torque meter scales are the max values they saw during a WOT acceleration, indicating a 300+hp and 280-ish ft/lb calculations. Those numbers seem a little higher than they probably are.

Like most of the apps of this kind, there are lots of custom configuration options. If nothing else, for less than $40 invested, it's a fun gadget that looks like it might have some good in-depth analysis capabilities for those who are so inclined.

EDIT: Performance numbers may be off due to the app not having the more recent MYs of the Explorer in its database. If the weight data is off it would affect the displayed numbers. Numbers are within 10% of Ford's claims, so it's not a dramatic error.

Back