ARC - air suspension | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ARC - air suspension

kellen

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
Hi All

My 98 Ex recently had a new exhaust fitted....rear of the cats back. I tend to do most work myself these days as there appears to be little Explorer knowledge in independent garages and also...sadly...little care in their work. However, as I didn't have access to a pit/ lift and the idea of threading the single length exhaust through the suspension, didn't appeal.....I gave it to my local garage.

First trip after the exhaust was fitted I started getting ARC warning lights....hmmmm....I don't believe in coincidences! A bit of research on the trusty forum showed a few people had suffered this after fitting a new exhaust. Turns out it is often ham fisted mechanics who damage the air lines when threading the exhaust through.

A little investigation and I could clearly see the air line had been bent and hear and feel the air leaking from where the line enters the air damper.

I have done some research on the forum and the best advice I have been able to find is.... "make sure you push the plastic rings on the arc suspension in as you pull on the airline to release." the same when refitting.

Before I start fiddling....can anyone point me in the direction of a more detailed post? Should it just be a case of pushing the plastic ring in (with pliers?) and then pushing the line in....or maybe pulling it out if cracked , trimming the end and reinserting it?

All advice appreciated.

Thanks

Neil

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi All

Couldn't help myself. I put my safety goggles on and had a good look at where the air line entered the air damper via a green plastic ring. I turned off the ARC system and having a feel around I could feel a split in the white plastic line where it entered the green ring. There didn't seem to be much movement in the ring, but I managed to depress it and pull out the airline. I had a good lock and could see the split. The air was escaping through the hole and hence the ARC warning light, hissing noise and the pump/ compressor appearing to keep recycling.

There wasn't a lot of slack on the line...but there was enough. I managed to strip off 15mm of the outer sleeve from the line....a bit fiddly....and then trimmed of the damaged end. I reinserted the line into the green ring by holding it with pliers and depressing the ring with a screwdriver....as I say fiddly.

I turned on the ARC system and did the usual tests. The system seems to be working normally and I was relieved I didn't have to replace expensive air dampers......not expensive to buy from Rock Auto but expensive to ship.

New brake discs and pads going on tomorrow.

Glad you got it sorted. I hate other people working on mine as well.

Thanks Kevin. Discs and pads on. I used Mintex discs as the "cheap" ones I fitted 15K miles ago had warped. All good now. I still have an odd drone from the front end. Sounds like a bearing but I replaced both front hubs and it is still there. It seems to be from passenger front. Any ideas?

Cheers

Neil

Thanks Kevin. Discs and pads on. I used Mintex discs as the "cheap" ones I fitted 15K miles ago had warped. All good now. I still have an odd drone from the front end. Sounds like a bearing but I replaced both front hubs and it is still there. It seems to be from passenger front. Any ideas?

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil, I would guess front axle inner bearing or diff. Is there any play in the front prop shaft on either end? Have you checked the front diff oil level? Do the front axle drive shafts 'click' on full lock?

Hi Kevin, the first thing I did was change the dif oil,,,,but no difference. will look at the other stuff. the click on full lock....is that with the Ex in four wheel drive high range rather than the default rear drive mode? I have not been aware of any clicks.

I will have a poke around at the weekend.

Thanks

Neil

Hi Kevin, the first thing I did was change the dif oil,,,,but no difference. will look at the other stuff. the click on full lock....is that with the Ex in four wheel drive high range rather than the default rear drive mode? I have not been aware of any clicks.

I will have a poke around at the weekend.

Thanks

Neil

Just in normal mode mate. I just wondered if the CV joints might need a bit of grease in them, they tend to make a clicking noise on full lock if they are dry.

Back