and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Are A4LD bell housings interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, &' started by mpark@atlantamem, October 27, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mpark@atlantamem

mpark@atlantamem New Member

City, State:
      Texarkana, TX
      Year and Model:
      can someone please tell me if bell housings are interchangeable on the A4LD. From a 4.0 to a 2.9. I thought maybe I could take the bell housing off an
      A4LD from behind a 2.9L and switch with an A4LD from behind a 4.0L then put it back behind the 2.9L. I am working on a 1990 Ranger w/ 2.9L. I hope this make sense. Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmissions section. They are interchangeable but keep in mind that several things are internally different on the 4.0L equipped models.

4. jwwing

jwwing New Member

City, State:
      Valley View, Texas
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT
      Go look at the frankentranny sticky (was the last sticky above) - early on he describes the differences, if not what you need the transmission rebuild talks about it some. I think they are identical.

Update: sorry, I didn't notice that Brooklyn had answered. Never mind.

5. snoranger

snoranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Jackson, NJ
      Year and Model:
      94 limited on 35's
      Why would you swap bellhousings? The 4.0l trans will bolt right up to the 2.9l. No need to swap bellhousings. I'm running a 2.9l trans and bell housing on my 4.0l. It feels like its got a 3000 stall converter in it, but the truck isnt used on the road anymore. Its just used around the yard at my shop, so I dont really care.

6. mpark@atlantamem

mpark@atlantamem New Member

City, State:
      Texarkana, TX
      Year and Model:
      I am having trouble locating 2.9 a4ld tranny. thought a 4.0 might be easier to find.