Are mud tires safe for normal highway driving? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are mud tires safe for normal highway driving?

These two sets of tires are same size, as well as price (390.00). However, one set is for mud, and the others are for all terrain. If same price and size, and the mud set is OK for normal driving, I'd like to pick them up rather than the all terrain. However, if the mud tires are not safe for normal driving, I'd rather be safe and pick up the all terrain.

Judging just by the looks, would these 31X10.50X15 be safe for normal driving such as the highway?
gtmud.jpg

Or would it be safer just to stick with these?
ATLAS1124.jpg

Thank you for any help and input you may be able to provide.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WTF would they not be safe for hwy travel? They are radials, right? In a 31? Am I missing something?

Go with the All-Terrains. The "mud" tires are not safe in slick conditions, such as roadways that have been plowed, but have a thin layer of compacted snow, heavy rain, and ice. The mud tire, would however, work pretty good in mud (go figure), sand, and deep snow.

The reason for this is that the all-terrains will have "siping". These are the little "slits" or "cuts" in the individual tread blocks. These provide many "sharp" edges to help the tire grip on slick surfaces. They also give the tread a little more flexability to allow it to conform to an uneven hard surface, like the road. The mud tires have no such siping. On anything but dry roads, they will act like a bunch of little "slicks", if you're not careful.

The a/t's will also be much quieter going down the road, and they will put less wear and tear on the road surface itself, as well as all your suspension and driveline components.

Bottom line: Unless you truelly need (be honest) the mud tires, for actual mud use, on a vehicle that sees little or no street use, the all-terrains are a better choice, for you, your passengers, your vehicle, the road, and everyone else on it.

WTF would they not be safe for hwy travel? They are radials, right? In a 31? Am I missing something?

I would like to be safe due to I have my wife and family in my vehicle as well. It is not a crime to be extra safe when thinking of your loved ones in the same vehicle as yourself.

I wanted to make sure that these were safe not only in the mud since these are "mud tires", that they will be safe on the highway during rain, or the such.

Thank you however for your reply.

Go with the All-Terrains. The "mud" tires are not safe in slick conditions, such as roadways that have been plowed, but have a thin layer of compacted snow, heavy rain, and ice. The mud tire, would however, work pretty good in mud (go figure), sand, and deep snow.

The reason for this is that the all-terrains will have "siping". These are the little "slits" or "cuts" in the individual tread blocks. These provide many "sharp" edges to help the tire grip on slick surfaces. They also give the tread a little more flexability to allow it to conform to an uneven hard surface, like the road. The mud tires have no such siping. On anything but dry roads, they will act like a bunch of little "slicks", if you're not careful.

The a/t's will also be much quieter going down the road, and they will put less wear and tear on the road surface itself, as well as all your suspension and driveline components.

Bottom line: Unless you truelly need (be honest) the mud tires, for actual mud use, on a vehicle that sees little or no street use, the all-terrains are a better choice, for you, your passengers, your vehicle, the road, and everyone else on it.

You posted just before me.

This was EXACTLY the reply I was looking for. I do not live anywhere near the snow, and not too sure if/when she would be seeing the mud anytime soon. Thank you so much for your reply and help. I will certainly be picking up the all terrain.

Thanks again!

helped me to choose also !
I tow a bit ,and need good wet stopping power , AT for me also
cheers
rich

Glad to help. Good luck to both of you.

Where were you several days ago? Thanks that answers a question for me as well!!!

helped me to choose also !
I tow a bit ,and need good wet stopping power , AT for me also
cheers
rich

i am loving my 31x10.5 Sumitomo HTR All-Terrains. :cool:

no you will get pregnant and die.

I've been running 31x10.5 TSL's on 5x8s for a half a year now and can hit 75 on the highway with no issues.

I run retread mud tires does that mean I don't feel nearly as safe not at all. I just don't go over 80mph and keep them properly inflated. The only down fall I have found to running my MT's is the noise but you kind of get used to it after awhile. It also depends on the tire as to how good they will do in the snow, the ones I have now are awesome but when my truck had Goodyear all terrains on it they were horrible in the snow. The little siping things that had been mentioned in the tread blocks are also pretty common in mud tires as well. If you do plan on doing any off roading I almost advice you to steer clear of an A/T, the last few times out at the parks the guys with A/Ts were sliding all over the place and couldn't get traction at all, where as us with the M/T's were going right through.

i run a mud tire on my Ex all the time, so far they have been good, any doubts i had were gone on my 1100 mile drive home in a bad snowstorm right after putting them on, , they were flawless,

one thing most of the other posters have missed out on is that mud tires are made of a softer compound, and that also aids in traction,

i run a mud tire on my Ex all the time, so far they have been good, any doubts i had were gone on my 1100 mile drive home in a bad snowstorm right after putting them on, , they were flawless,

one thing most of the other posters have missed out on is that mud tires are made of a softer compound, and that also aids in traction,

Can't believe I left this out, it also needs to be considered as the mud tire will not last as long due to the soft compound as well, most MT's don't last more than 30,000 miles if your lucky, mine will probably last 20,000 if they don't get swapped for 33's first.

Thank you so much for everyone's input and fantastic information. I am certainly obsorbing every ounce offered.

With everything said regarding flexibility,sips, and life of side walls, what would your opinions be on these?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=Geolandar+M/T+Plus&partnum=105QR5GEOMTPLOWLR

From the description, it sounds as if they are fine (not great) on the highway. You gentleman have any objections with this and the like type of tires for normal driving use?

Thanks again for all your replies. It is highly appreciated.

i would run them, gnarly looking tread,
but as stated, closeouts, maybe you need to get 5 ,

Yes, I did catch all that. I am sorry, I may have given misleading information. I wouldn't pick these exact ones up. I am just inquiring information on the type of tires they are since they mention in the description that they are m/t's, however fine for highway use.

Thank you however for pointing this out. Yes, it would certainly be a thorn in my side in the future if I was to pick this exact item up.

Thank you so much for everyone's input and fantastic information. I am certainly obsorbing every ounce offered.

With everything said regarding flexibility,sips, and life of side walls, what would your opinions be on these?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=Geolandar+M/T+Plus&partnum=105QR5GEOMTPLOWLR

From the description, it sounds as if they are fine (not great) on the highway. You gentleman have any objections with this and the like type of tires for normal driving use?

Thanks again for all your replies. It is highly appreciated.

Let me tell u something i went to my tire shop for new tires when i got the truck 3 years ago (before i found this site and wanted larger) I wanted beefier tires and saw the yokohama a/ts and loved the look of them when the guy went to order them they didnt make them anymore (bummer) but i went with the next step down which is the h/ts THESE TIRES ARE AWESOME WORTH EVERY PENNY, I NEVER HAVE PROBLEMS SNOW, ICE, HEAVY RAIN, AND REAL QUIET!! I have had them for three years and am looking for a reason to get rid of them so i could go bigger but am thinking if just getting a second set on new rims...If you could get them go for it but keep in mind what a previous poster said they are CLOSEOUT so if you need to find a new tire to replace it...good luck

signs point to yes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just remember that the Geolander M/T is a directional tire.

Back