Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

ATF to Fluid Cooler for my 2003 Centennial

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by 2000StreetRod, November 29, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      My 2003 Centennial (Ford 100th anniversary Explorer Limited) is equipped with an ATF to air cooler located behind the A/C condenser and in front of the radiator.
      Air2AirCooler.jpg
      The stock ATF cooling is adequate for normal driving on moderate days. According to my Scan Gauge II the external cooling loop opens when the internal ATF temperature is 170 deg F. When the ambient temperature is below 80 deg F the ATF temperature stays below 180 deg F even during moderate acceleration. However, I suspect on a hot day here in South Carolina with aggressive driving or mountain driving the ATF temperature will exceed 180 deg F. So after pulling my stock 4.6L SOHC V8 and before installing my modified 4.6L DOHC V8 I want to add a liquid (engine coolant) to ATF cooler that has greater heat transfer capacity than an air to ATF cooler. My 2000 Sport double core radiator on a typical summer day maintains an average temperature of 150 deg F. Since that is greater than ambient temperature the ATF flow should be:

5R55S > liquid-to-ATF cooler > air-to-ATF cooler > 5R55S

The photo below from my RatioTek manual shows the 5R55W external cooling loop ports.

5R55SRight.jpg

The ATF cooler flow test in my 2003 Explorer shop manual identifies the direction of flow for each port.
      TransATFIn&Out.jpg
      The upper port is the 5R55S ATF inlet (return line) from the cooler and the lower port is the 5R55S ATF outlet (supply line) the to the cooler. I purchased an F350 Super Duty ATF cooler for my liquid to ATF cooler.
      ATFCooler.jpg
      I hope to move the power steering fluid cooler far enough toward the driver side of the cross member to make room for the cooler to be mounted on the passenger side.
      PwrStrgCooler.jpg
      I'll have to remove the oil filter splash shield.
      OilShield.jpg

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      What fluid do you plan to cool the ATF with, in that cooler?

I'd like a best cooler system for my mail truck, but my low speeds make everything difficult. I've been planning to oversize as much as possible, lower the target temps, external filters, and the Super Duty ATF cooler. I bought another adapter made to control ATF flow to coolers, but it was an OEM unit with odd port shapes and sizes(no NPT etc). So the first one I bought to use a marine T'stat will have to do.

4. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      On my Centennial the engine external coolant flow is from the thermostat to the upper right corner of the radiator downward to the lower left corner.
      4.6LCoolantFlow.jpg
      From there the main flow of coolant is the return to the block oil filter/coolant adapter.
      FilterAdpater.jpg
      There's another port at the bottom of the radiator that connects with a tube and hoses to the degas bottle.
      RadLwrCnx.jpg

I plan to insert a 1 1/2 x 5/8 x 1 1/2 Tee (Kat's P/N 28115) into the main return line and connect the 5/8 port of the Tee to the ATF cooler coolant return port.
      KAT28113B.jpg
      On the passenger side of the radiator the hose to the degas bottle is 1 inch diameter.
      DegasBtlFitting.jpg
      So I'll insert a 1 x 5/8 x 1 Tee (Kat's P/N 28113) with the 5/8 port being the coolant supply to the ATF cooler.
      KAT28113A.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    5. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Very good. I like the later model cooling systems, although filling one is interesting. I've thought about using the 94-04 Mustang parts for my 91 Lincoln, when I put in the 347 and Explorer accessories. The cooling system seems more stable in the few I've owned, 4.6 Crown Vics.

6. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      Below is a photo of the planned area for the transmission fluid cooler.
      ATFCoolrArea.jpg
      The ATF cooler lines will have to be relocated as will the power steering fluid cooler.

Below is a photo of the planned area for the power steering cooler with the oil filter splash shield removed.
      PSCoolrArea.jpg
      The stock cooler takes a lot of space due to the long tube fittings. Also, the ports are on the wrong side if it is moved significantly toward the driver side. To make things fit I'll probably have to purchase a different configuration power steering cooler. The Derale 13310 shown below may be a good candidate.
      Derale13310.jpg
      It has -6 AN ports and built in mounts.

Last edited: December 30, 2017
    7. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      I removed the power steering fluid cooler and held the ATF cooler in position. It appears that there will be enough room for the ATF cooler and the Derale 13310 cooler so I ordered one.
      Coolers1.jpg
      I won't mount the ATF cooler until I receive the Derale PS cooler. I suspect that I won't have to relocate the rigid ABS brake line.