rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
Anyone have or used an Atlas flanged parking brake? I'm thinking of additional braking for steep down hill descents as in pulling up on the handle.
There were times that shifting into neutral helped in the braking dept. Do I need to fab up a handle and cable thing? Remember this is an auto tranny and still thinking of going Hydro boost which will eliminate any use for vacuum for brakes. I rode in a crawler that has one and it will put you through the windshield if your not easy lol.
I guess it would have to have a locking handle if in fact I did use it as a parking brake. Some times the C4 is a little hard to get out of park with any load on it.
The rear D70 has no emergency brake. Thinking of making some striker brakes for it.
Here's the link
http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/pm1500--atlas-flange-yoke-parking-brake/

I read a post about these brakes so if this is in the wrong spot please merge.

..I am still working on getting my set up together so I've updated my thread with some more info I found..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385789

..Rick should be installing the one he bought soon from PartsMike and can probably answer the cable and bracket info..

..One of the things I learned was PartsMike actually makes the setup that Advanced Adapters sells...I bet he can answer your questions on your specific set up..;)

...I do know HAD (High Angle Driveline) makes a bracket and thumb thingy which they sell separately but I have not seen a picture of it yet..

..for their specific yoke and they do have a cable brake bracket with a thumb thingy in stock for about $40 and you supply the cable..

I have the one from High Angle Drivelines.

100_0030.jpg

100_0029.jpg

The problems with this ebrake are that:

#1, I was able to drive right through it, burning through the brake pads pretty quickly on the freeway :rolleyes:. This part here tells me that it won't really work for what you are trying to do with it. I couldn't really tell that the brake was engaged until I smelled the faint burning smell through my floorboards.

#2, the brake pads are proprietary and 'We carry the caliper that's how the pads are serviced there 135.00.'

I don't like the fact that the pads are that expensive, and can only be found at one place.

I'm not sure how the Parts Mike ones function. If they use something for the pads that are easily replaceable, I might just swap the whole thing out instead of buying the new caliper/pads through HAD.

Back