Audio keeps switching from CD-AM/FM-Clock-CD...repeat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Audio keeps switching from CD-AM/FM-Clock-CD...repeat

Bdunc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
So here is my problem:

I purchased a used 1998 explorer (in great condition:thumbsup: ) and the audio has recently been alternating between the CD and the AM/FM radio.

-There is no CD in the disc slot (I checked)
-Pressing the CD button displays "No Disc"
-Pressing the "eject" button and holding it in fixes the problem and it stays on the AM/FM setting without switching to CD. As soon as I let it go it starts rotating through the settings again.
-Pressing and holding any other button does not fix the problem

The audio system is only AM/FM with a CD player. I'm not sure what audio system it is. But it is a stock radio.

Does anyone have an ideas if this can be easily fixed or do I have to take it somewhere to get looked at?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might try re-setting the unit by pulling it out and disconnecting all of the cables. Wait a few minutes before plugging it back in. That "reset" trick always does it in my Dodge Ram OEM radio from the same era.

Wow, never heard of anything like this on the stock radios.

Have you tried putting a CD in and seeing what happens?

I don't have a fix either but I have the same problem in my '00 XLT.

In my case I have a Radio/Tape/CD unit. It will randomly start rotating through just like you described but add Tape into the rotation. If my unit is OFF, it will randomly turn itself ON. If mine starts to act up I just turn the volume down and ignore it.

It's hard to believe that only two of the millions of these units that Ford made have this symptom . . .

I'm hoping someone will come up with an answer other than to buy a new radio. I really like the features of the one I have.

Dan

Get a can of compressed air like you use to clean your computer keyboard and blow out both the CD slot and/or cassette slot. There could be dirt or debris in there that is tripping a leaf microswitch. If that is unsuccessful, pull it out and reset it by removing all the power cables. Also try cleaning the switches with a good cleaner electronic like DeOxit.

I have a 1998 Explorer and I have the same exact problem. radio...CD...radio...CD. It's like a ghost in the machine and its driving me nuts. Ill first try the duster in a can and then reset process. Will do a follow-up.

I have a 1998 Explorer and I have the same exact problem. radio...CD...radio...CD. It's like a ghost in the machine and its driving me nuts. Ill first try the duster in a can and then reset process. Will do a follow-up.
Any updates? My 2013 Explorer does this and its driving me crazy. It’s possessed.

Back