"Audiophile" Stereo? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Audiophile" Stereo?

rpr: I don't have the navi sytem but I love the unit. I brought it off of ebay brand new for $750.00. Go on ebay and put in Kenwood DDX and you will see many good deals.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome price! Would you recommend the ebay vendor you used?

rpr, Yes I would. I used sonic electronix.

Crizz said:
BTW : the 70-5520 adapter is only for non-amplified HU´s ( no aktive subwoofer ), the connects on the HU are different - it doesn´t fit on mine. Needed to change the wiring for ignition. For amplified the 70-5521 from Metra is recommended.

Crizz: If I were to use the 70-5521 adapter to connect an aftermarket HU to the factory amplified subwoofer, would the factory subwoofer still be powered by the factory amp?

Nevermind...would you believe I just got through to Metra Tech Support on a Sunday?!

Metra says the 70-5521 will not bypass the amp that powers the sub (they said the factory amp is mounted next to the factory sub in the rear passenger side quarter panel). So with this adapter, you can install an aftermarket HU and a 4-channel aftermarket amp for the door speakers, and still maintain the factory amp to power the factory sub (for what that's worth).

RPR, e.g. on my Eddie the HU contains a 4-way amp for the doorspeakers, the sub is - like you already wrote - powered by a little amp right beneath the chassis. The 70-5521 allows you to connect the aktive subwoofer to a sub-output on your HU using Cinch-lines.

If your ne HU has enough output power for the doorspeakers, there is no need for additional amps.

In my case, I guess I´ll put an add. hipower-amp (MacAudio ) and Ininity-Spks. in, as soon as I know how to dismount the doorpanels / handles. I don´t mind about the subwoofer after that cause the Infinity Kappa-series are the best I hae ever heared in a 1st. Gen. and 2.nd Gen. Explorer - even without additional sub´s. But they "love" amps with 80 watts / channel or more and my HU only has 4x27 W (52 max.)

Crizz: Let me know where you mount your amp. The only spot I can find is under the 2nd row passenger seat, but the front of the amp sticks out quite a bit in front of the seat (and that is with a fairly small JL Audio amp).

The only other spot that has caught my eye is inside the rear driver side quarter panel, but there is no way I'm up for that job and there looks like there may be ventillation ducts in there.

RPR, did you ever thought aout that storage "box" beyond the second seatrow ? Hope your X´ is the same like mine, got two storage lugs in the rear deck, the first is where the carlift jack is stored and one directly beyond the seat. Should be more than enough room for amps, I´m thinking about amp and nav-unit to be built in there.

I have recessed third row seating, so I don't believe I have the storage box you are referring to.

And what about the storage lug with the carlift jack ? I know, it isn´t easy with the wiring, but I guess it could fit to place the amp in. Otherwise I actually have no idea where to mount it, sorry :(

On mine, the carlift jack is in an extremely small compartment (very narrow). Even if I removed the lift, it would still not fit an amp.

I think I will place it under the second row bench seat. This will have it extending by a few inches into the legroom area, but it isn't too bad and I really see no other alternative. I have also just decided that I will pay a local shop $200-$300 to do the custom install for me. I'm not as young (and stupid) as I used to be.

Crizz said:
RPR, e.g. on my Eddie the HU contains a 4-way amp for the doorspeakers, the sub is - like you already wrote - powered by a little amp right beneath the chassis. The 70-5521 allows you to connect the aktive subwoofer to a sub-output on your HU using Cinch-lines.

Well, after researching all the new HU's on the market, I decided to keep my old Alpine CDA-7894. I installed it today with the Metra 70-5521, but I have two questions:

1) There are three stock harnesses that were connected to the factory radio. The 70-5521 has one harness for the power, ground and speakers, and a separate harness for the factory amplified sub. Everything seems to be working. What is the third factory harness that has not been reconnected to anything for?

2) When I power on the radio, the subwoofer makes a loud pop. It didn't do this with the stock factory radio. It seems to be working fine, with the exception of the pop when it is first powered on. Any ideas why this is happening and what can I do?

Anyone have the part number for the antenna adapter? The antenna wire has a plastic piece around the end which doesnt fit in my aftermarket HU.

By the way, those pics of the disassembly on the first page were such a big help thanks alot for posting them

Metra's part number for the antenna adapter is 40-CR10.

It's actually listed as being for a Chrysler, but this is the right one (I just installed it).

The prob with the pop-on dries me crazy, too - still working on it, will find a way. Have no clue what the third connector is for, does anybody knows someone working at FoMoCo ? Our Dealers have no clue cause the Explorer isn´t sold in GE since 2001, so they don´t have any information ´bout.

Crizz: Did some research today.

1) The pop from the sub is due to too much current/voltage in the remote turn on lead of the aftermarket HU. You/we need to connect an in-line 1.5 K-ohm resistor on the remote turn on lead.

2) The third harness is for the CD changer in the factory HU.

For the changer ? Hm... and what the wiring is for ? Remote ? CAN-Bus ?

thx for the advice about the resistor, I thought the same way yesterday when I recalled that I measured 8 Volts for remote. Had the same prob with my ´90 XLT as long as i used the Ford-amp, no probs w/ aftermarket amps. Guess I´ll look and see to put the R´ directly at the amp.

Other question : does anybody know which wire is carrying the VSS / Speedo-Signal ? Need it for my Nav.-unit

Can anyone tell me what size sub comes with the audiophile system in the 06 explorer's? Also can I just replace the sub with the same size sub for just a little better bass?

ctek said:
Can anyone tell me what size sub comes with the audiophile system in the 06 explorer's? Also can I just replace the sub with the same size sub for just a little better bass?
I'm also thinking about what would be the most bang for the buck in terms of improving on the stock factory sub/amp, so I'm also looking for the answer to this question.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lots of good info in this post, I just got an 06 XLT with all the options, including the audiophile 6cd changer. I am not very happy with it. I have a sirius sportster I took out of the last one and I have been told there is no way yet to connect the unit directly to the HU. No auxiliary input adapter is available yet. So I decided maybe just better to upgrade the whole system. Do either of you know what size and RMS the stock door panel speakers are? Any recommendations on HU's or amps? Especially need an HU that I can connect the sportster direct without losing the changer input.
Please Help?
thanks in advance

Back